Max plants per ft2

I think the main things for me are:

• smaller pots (may also require an autowater/feed system)
  • trimming lowers (widest branches come from the bottom and are furthest from light)
  • topping (keep height down and divert bud production to mains)
  • short veg (keeps plant small, reduces cycle time)

Using small pots is a pretty necessary step, otherwise, keeping up with the amount of required media becomes a major chore/expense.

8 Likes

Thanks!

How quickly do you typically flip to 12/12?

And typically what node do you top at?

2 Likes

I flip to 12/12 based on when my plants graduate from the small pots that I start them in. Usually they’re only about 3-4 nodes at most. I don’t always top, but if I do, it usually goes something like transplant from small pot, wait for recovery and grow 1-2 more nodes, then top. I’m always topping in early 12/12, as late as the end of stretch.

6 Likes

I like to top above 4th node then remove bottom node. Then veg another week before switching.

3 Likes

And here I am growing 1 plant per 3 ft2 :rofl:

This makes me want to do a sog :thinking:

I’ve never been a believer in 12/12 from seed giving shorter plants but that’s just IMO. I personally think 24/0 veg with some fairly intense blue spectrum lights will help to keep them short first, and then 12/12 flip when you’re ready. Only issue could be the very tight node spacing.

I’ve found waiting to top until there’s at least 5 nodes, working on the 6th, and topping just above the 3rd node, seems to work really well. You can top higher than the 3rd, but I wouldn’t do it sooner than when the 6th node is growing out. I’ve wasted a literal week or growth because I snipped off the 4th node just when it was tall enough to cut and the other nodes didn’t even have a branch really started yet.

3 Likes

This guy was finishing plants in little seed starter trays to maximize plant/space. Its quite awesome, and something I wanna try eventually.

6 Likes

A run I did quite a few years ago with small plants in a perpetual. Most of the details are in the thread link here:

5 Likes

I found an a post on another forum outlining called The Bonsai Sultan Method: Typological Breeding In Little Space.

He goes into some basics about selection but the way he sets up his space I thought was interesting. I don’t really have the hands-on breeding experience to evaluate it, but he puts a lot of plants in a really small area, which is a handy feature. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Wow! Thanks all… some very cool stuff here.

Ya - I dig that this may be a bit ambitious - the dude who grew in the small cells blows my mind.

The big thing is getting some selection done, I fell like there is so much to run and so little time!!

Going to do some reading and then I’ll fire up a journal once I get things germed.

3 Likes

I just got these tree pots to start plants for ebb and flow… but maybe I’ll try finishing some plants in them.

6 Likes

Pretty cool - never have seen those before!

1 Like

27d13689dd71c1b02ac06b6723894ba61ebd166c_2_375x500

300 some odd watts in a 2x2

7 Likes

Ive run clones in 6inch pots before; 4/sq ft.
Untopped. Works real well w cuts w minimal side branching. W cuts that branch out it becomes quite a tangled mess.

Good luck

2 Likes

Pretty cool he was talking about the paonia purple paralyzer

1 Like

We’re these seeds or cuts?

Solo cups start to finish - nice!

12/12 straight away?

1 Like

I think this is how I’ll be running it.

Seeds may be tough with branching - but for the most part I’m good with trimming back branches for cutting as required and focusing really on 1 top per plant.

1 Like

Seeds I think I may have done a week of veg it’s my thunderdome thread other than adding the second light halfway through flower it wasn’t bad

1 Like

Awesome - I’ve looked at the thread before but will go back more closely.

1 Like

I only fed them CalMag and a little booster about halfway through flower

Impressive! I’m liking it :slight_smile: