Mayhem's First Grow Journal V1

Hello everyone! And welcome to my grow journal. To give some background I am a beginner grower with about 2 years of research under my hat. I did try growing about 3 years ago, but my 2 harvests in that short time were not what I expected and thus were scraped and the whole thing put on hold. At that time I had done a year of research, but I focused more on growing then sustaining the plants. Now I have both a decent knowledge of growing as well as the basic knowledge I think needed to keep them healthy as well and identify any potential problems. Currently me and my brother will share a 4’x4’x79" grow space turned on its side with an 810W led (I’m told it probably pulls about 270W from the wall, but I will get a wattage meter soon to check). My brother currently has 7 bagseeds going. 3 in flower and 4 in veg with 1 being a very likely runt. He hasn’t yet seen the interest or appeal in breeder seeds yet mostly because of the cost of them. I on the other hand don’t mind the cost when needed and have a small collection of breeder seeds from which to choose. First, I have popped a couple hopeful bagseeds of my favorite strain Lemon Cake understanding full well the instability it can bring. Next up we have 2 Ninja Fruit (Grapefruit Haze x Grape Ape) from Dojo Seed Co., 4 The Deputy [(Bruce Banner x Stardawg] 2 popped, 2 waiting) from Green Point Seeds, 2 Lucky 7’s (Lucky Charms x Stardawg) from GPS, 1 Blizzard Bush also from GPS, 4 New Grape 48 ([Original Grape 48 x Purple Kush] 1 popped, 3 waiting) from New420GuySeeds, 1 The Force (Jedi Kush x Alien Kush) also from New420GuySeeds. The flowering plants are 15 days into flower with everything ranging in age between a weeks to 2 months old. I don’t track veg time only flower as I top often to keep them bushy. Now on to the pics :blush::grin:!!

20200927_141313|375x500
Here are the first 7 my brother popped in about their first week of life🌱

Them under the LED💡

14 Likes

Get r dun. And grow grow grow it is a fantastic hobby

Peace out and stay safe

2 Likes

That you for the support, and you as well my friend! Better to grow it yourself then be at others mercy​:blush::pray:.

4 Likes

Here they are in their 2nd week of life. In this photo you can see the first few seeds I popped, not all of which made it but that’s how it goes😁.

And here are my brother 7 at week 4, they were all looking great with some possible nitrogen poisoning to due the darker colored leaves on a couple of them.

Another 3 weeks passes and we set up the tent and kept the 3 tallest in the flower area.

For flower we are using a 315W CMH and have a 630W for as flower progresses, eventually using both near the end. I forgot to note the ones in flower are a few days older then the other 4, he took clones from all 3. And that there are 2 Sour Diesel Haze Autos going as well. In this pic they are 8 days into flower and still looking good.

And here we are today!! The veg tent looks mostly well except my brother’s 3 tallest in veg were given a strong feeding a week or two ago. A few of the leaves showed nitrogen poisoning as well as nutrient burn. The plants in flower are now 15 days in and in there last week of stretching. We need a trellis net, a few fans, and a few other items but for the most part all is well. When done harvesting we will use another 4’x4’ tent I have to dry in then cure in Mason jars.

18 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to see your progress! :v::peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Very nice and healthy plant. Your set-up and room are very clean. Maybe a little over feeding like you said but it’s cool.

I’m sitting in the corner :wink:

2 Likes

Hey @MrMayhem1134. Looks like you’re off to a nice start with things. Cut back on your feed a little and cut back on nitrogen during flowering and you got it going on man! I’m anxious to see the progress. Glad you’re here my man. Holler at me if I can ever help.

Blessings…

:cowboy_hat_face::mask::chile:

3 Likes

Hello everyone​:blush::wave:, Mayhem here back at it again! So I have a few things to update you on and then things to address moving forward and on future grows. The first and most important is this past Friday I switched from the 315w CMH to the 630w. I honestly felt like the plants would benefit from the extra light as they start to really start stacking. Mind you there is a tower fan in there on the 2nd-3rd speed setting by day and 1st by night. I switched at day 21 during lights off. They responded really well to the intensity difference for the most part, EXCEPT for the heat​:weary::sweat_smile:. It has jumped up at least 4-5 degrees because the closet has its limits (No ability to exhaust and circulate air with an inline/exhaust fan, more insulated then a tent, etc… They had to be moved to the “corners” somewhat as I noticed a little damage near the tops. The second thing I would like to note is I was able to fix the issue with the plants in flowering receiving too much nitrogen and not enough PK because I waited an extra week to introduce the bloom booster because of the water, water, feed schedule we use. Third, we have rooted clones (unlabeled) of the 3 in flower so we can try again on the next run​:cherry_blossom::running_man:.

Some detailed view of the flower area and the plants. They are on day 24 now.

The veg area again😎. The 2 New Grape 48 did not survive. They were slow growers and I let them dry out maybe a day too long, I admittedly neglected only them and have taken them out. Other then that everything else is alive and healthy. I am impressed with the 2 auto flowers thus far. They have been growing at the same rate all through veg with one very slightly ahead of the other. No signs of sex yet they are about 3 weeks old on what is a 9-10 week from seed strain. My Plants (everything but the flowering plants, clones, and tallest 4 in veg) got a feeding yesterday. I went light on the nitrogen this time cutting by about half, easier to solve a deficiency then a burn.

I have a pretty good handle on watering, identifying deficiencies and problems for the most part, cloning, topping, and feeding them based off what I see happening. The first 3 in flower were basically a test run and i’ll be happy with whatever we can pull off them🙏. For the future I would like to find a tent I can sit upright in my basement and invest in LED’s, a carbon filter and an inline/exhaust fan system.

8 Likes

For your closet, any chance of going up :arrow_up: into an attic etc?
I was thinking about doing that but was ‘overruled’…

Cheers
G

2 Likes

No way to go up as i’m renting and the landlord sometimes comes when there’s an issue to fix that he can do. My thinking is smaller plants as I don’t like the way they look when they get that big. The ones in flower are my brothers and he let them get a little too big, even though I suggested keeping them shorter. I will post an update tonight. A lot has changed and I am going to focus only on veg and not flower as one got the chop, and 1 other is looking pretty sad. “You can teach a man to fish, but that doesn’t mean he’ll catch anything”.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay, but here we go. I have quite a bit to update in this post. It may split into two so with that in mind i’ll try and make everything short and sweet. First the 630 was way too hot​:fire: for the closet and would need to be in a tent with an intake/exhaust system to function better. After 4 or 5 days and some noticeable light burn we switched the light back. To add to that my brother didn’t water his plants for at least 5 days (scary for flower) so I fed them. I think fearing they were dying a day or two later he fed them a light feeding on top of that. We weren’t communicating much that week and they suffered for it. I only step in to his part of the grow when an emergency happens or is happening. 2 of the plants, the taller ones, were noticabely damaged and they all had been stunted to a degree. So the far right flowering got chopped a while back and the far left is pretty much dead​:skull:. Only the short one remains and showed burning over a couple days, then has stopped and has seemed to resume flowering. Anything we can get is better then nothing so it will probably live. There will be a hold on flower shots until the next run unless the short one pulls through and gives me something worth showing​:rofl::cry:. He has rooted clones of all 3 and 4/6 have resumed new growth. I am learning a ton of new info from these mistakes so not a total loss!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program🤪.

Here is a shot of the veg room topping for me has went very well thus far and no new casualties to report as far as seedlings​:crossed_fingers:. The 2 palm tree-ish ones are the auto flowers and still have not shown any pistols​:scream:. They are about almost 4 weeks so hopefully soon, they are fems and have slowed vertical growth so flower is probably coming soon​:blush::cherry_blossom:. The plan with the 4 overgrown ones is to top them back to an ideal height and use what we can to clone. Only a few of each will be saved and the rest discarded.

Here is a shot of the veg/cloning area up close. You can see 2 clones are struggling to start new growth and 1 is doing a reveg top kinda thing.

Also I have a slight concern for my White Skunk x LBL. This one is a vigorous eater and is slightly lighter then it’s counterpart and they have been fed the same throughout. This one is the only one showing this. I fed water about 3 days ago and nutes about 6-7 (I wanna say I even went light on the nutes maybe 70% strength). Soil is Fox Farm Ocean Forest, light is LED, they get cal mag about once a month or so. I am missing a fooiar spray and microbe brew from the fox farm nutrient line I am using. Is this an iron deficiency? Or is it hungry or just got too much nutes still on the last feeding? Any question just ask! - Mayhem

2 Likes

The flowering plant continues to do OK and is quite frosty all things considered. Can’t wait for the next run of it. The auto flowers got 1 day of 18/6 and 1 day of 24 hours, then 1 and 1 again. It will be 18/6 from here on out. 2 of The WS x LBL have now been in flower for two nights and were heavily defoliated before being put in. will clone them when I determine sex and need to lollipop/defoliate. 3 of the 4 tall plants in veg have been defoliated and topped/cloned heavily to avoid getting too tall (with all clones being seperated by plant in their own cups per my advice). They were thrown in flower last night and all of the newbies will receive their first flower cycle feeding soon to help with transitioning. Everything looks healthy just some a little hungry, but nothing concerning.

In veg everything got defoliated, topped, or transplanted as needed. Everything has been topped at least once so far with the 1 Force and 2 Lucky 7’s really taking their time to veg and recover. 1 Lucky 7 only sprouted 1 side branch when topped basically nullifying my efforts​:joy:. Everything moving along nicely​:sunglasses::dash:.

1 Like

Harvested the flowering plant this morning and hung it in my spare tent to dry, this will at the very least give me a chance to test the drying area and see what works and if I need to add anything. Humidity is current at ~40% with Temps in the mid 70’s. I have a dehumidifier on hand and may need to purchase a humidifier if the humidity stays low in a fuller tent.

I will get some pics of them hanging tomorrow. The next round is about 5 weeks away from harvest😁!

4 Likes

Pics of the GSC on day 4 of drying. Didn’t yield very much, but it will start the personal headstash.

Here we have the plants in flower, back left is a mystery bagseed, back mid was supposed to be a sour diesel haze auto fem (its 8-9weeks old and just showed sex a couple weeks only after going from 24 hours to 18 hours of light. 18 hours was given was given for 2 weeks before putting into flower,) back right is Ninja Fruit #1 (Unknown Sex), Up front is a White Skunk x Long Bottom Leaf female by Bad Dawg Genetics from seed. In the second pic back left and back right are two more mystery bagseeds, and front corner we have another sour diesel haze fem. That back left One in the first pic looks like it will yield really well hopefully😎.

Then the veg tent. Just topped a few days ago where needed and defoliated today. Most of the small cups are clones from the various plants that are in flower or close to flowering. I have 1 possible rooted clone of GSC unless I have an unmarked or mismarked one somewhere​:crossed_fingers::joy:. For cloning I just use a cup of water with some GH rooting hormones and have seen good success, even with plain water. I always make sure to label and seperate each strains clones as well​:grin:!

3 Likes

I like that your veg tent? Is sideways = more room to grow. @MrMayhem1134

1 Like

Ty! It wouldn’t fit upright because it’s a couple inches too tall, so this was my next best idea. Eventually might get a couple 2 x 4 tents to veg in instead and use this one for a sea of green grow.

2 Likes

Been a while since I gave an update, I have been busy letting the plants grow in flower until I had something decent this time around. So hereee we go!

This is Bagseed #6 on day 44. I have narrowed the bagseed list to 22 possible strains and while still a lengthy list it is somewhere to start. It is yielding pretty well and the branches have become heavy and have been supported with a few yoyos and some garden wire. In terms of frost it is the frostiest plant yet in the garden in my eyes and has a sour-coffee type smell coming off of it. We have 9 rooted clones of the #6 and about half are already growing tops again😁. In comparison to my GSC I am way more happy with the current 3 close to harvest, but not quite there.

Here we have a Lemon Cake #1 bagseed from some top shelf dispo bud on day 9. The original bud had a lot of purple hues with a fantastic lemon frosting and lemon rhine type flavor. It vegged very slow and like to stay bushy so I topped it to supercharge that process and keep it short. It’s due for a defoliation and lollipopping today me thinks. I have about 10 clones so far none have rooted yet so I will prob keep a few from the lollipopping and start a 2nd set just in case.

If you can see it this is a lanky Ninja Fruit #2 Pheno on day 23 (the one I was worried was male but is female and probable leans more towards the grapefruit haze then the grape ape). Because I wasn’t sure if it was male or not I didn’t top it all that much. I have 4 clones of this one and they rooted pretty fast compared to the rest, only being outpaced by bagseed #3 which is a beast of a plant.

Here we have White Skunk x Long Bottom Leaf at day 45. This is an ideal plant for my situation. In a sea of green setup I could see it doing real well and with training it can be a great medium sized plant. The stacking of the nodes it super close and all the tops are pretty uniform with decent forst. It was the only survivor out of 2 so I got lucky with a girl! Got more seeds of this cross though I like this one so much I will probably wait a while before going through the rest. I have about 6-10 clones of this and prob 2-3 that have rooted and a few more showing the starts of roots.

Next up is another bagseed code named the “Bush Runt” 15 days into flower. As the name suggests this is a runt of the bagseeds that took incredibly long to veg, I’m talking 4-6 months! My bro was gonna toss it but he didn’t have much started or clones so I told him to save it and at least see if he likes the finished product. It had an issue keep it leaves green the were a few different shades of green and had a wiped chalk type look like on the leaves. Just very weird in general but eventually grew out of it. Because it is bushy it will definitely need a lot more training next time around. I only have 2 clones of this one going and both have some stage of roots starting.

Lastly we have bagseed #? on day 44 of flower. We didn’t mark the clones when we took them off this one, but as a side not we have an extra set or two of clones that are duplicate but can’t determine which until flowered and same with the # here I could only match it to one after flowering the clones so ? it is lol. It seems to be a low yielder with bright orange hairs with fairly tight node spacing and as with the WS x LBL decent frost production.

Also a pic of the veg room. In addition to topping the plants when needed we have begun to LST branches using the garden wire to open them up and maximize the canopy. I also organized them better, pots on the left cups on the right. Mostly haha. They go from solo cups, to 1 gallon nursery pots, to 3 gallon nursery pots a week or two before flower. Gonna see if this will help the yield a little. Not much else to report as of now just chugging along.

4 Likes

Time for an update so get your smoke and let’s toke and talk! So firstly and sad to say I had my first Hermaphrodite ever and it was on one of my most anticipated strains, the Lemon Cake #1. All the clones of LC#1 from the 2nd round started to herm as well so it was chopped and discarded, had it been summer I probably would have put it on the porch and let it seed itself for research purposes. Oh well​:joy::sob:. We also discarded the runt aka Bush Runt just deciding it had too many issues to be worth saving along side the other superstar phenos.

The flower room looked fantastic for the most part. This is before we removed a few plants

The BGS #6 continues to Excell and has some decent looking colas, had we trained it better I’m sure it would have yielded amazingly. The frost reaches from the top of the plant all the way to the larf coating everything. Even with subpar/average lighting it still did pretty well in my book.

Here is the flower room after the switchouts.

Ninja Fruit has some amazing purple color coming through and it looks like it will coat the buds and part of the leaves. Under a microscope the trichomes are a vibrant light purple/magenta color and were only 41 days in! This is also my first colorful plants so I am most excited to see this one finish flowering and fade. The BGS #? was harvested and is currently about 6 days in to the drying process and doing well, it yielded very little and will all be frozen for later use as concentrates or kief to be made into hash rosin when we get the press needed to do so. The WS x LBL was put into its dark period yesterday and will be chopped tomorrow night which will be day 64 for it. This is my first time experimenting with the dark period, but I will probably be doing it from now on as the theory that in the dark plants produce trichomes to protect against the sun and predators during the day does make sense to me.

In flower we have added 2 BGS #3 clones and 1 BGS #2 clone. We also reduced our rooted clone count by about 25% as well as tossing any extra clones waiting to root that we felt like we didn’t need because we had others already rooted of that particular pheno/BGS. This means new seeds to pop!! I dropped 5 Russian Grapes but lost 2 dues to a dumb mistake… So I have 3 left germing. I also popped 6 Purple Urkle x Jack Herer that were given to me as testers about 2 years back, 2 Arctic Fallout (Chem 91 JB x Snow Lotus) from Bodhi and 2 Cactus (NL x WW) from JOTI. They won’t all be female so it gives me a chance to reduce my bean count and find some new superstars :grin:!

Here is a pic of the newly reshuffled veg area. A few plants have been trained since last I updated. And on the right you can see the noticeably lower cup count😂. LST looks like it will make a huge difference in the yield and has made a difference in the structure of the plants. Going forward I will LST as many plants as possible, while topping and defoliating as needed. Feel like I really am honing my skills this time around and continuing to learn and grow. If you have any questions, comments, advice, or if you wanna see any plant in more detail just give me a shout and I’ll reply as soon as I can. Ty for reading!

4 Likes

Hello everyone sorry it’s been a while… Time flies when you’re busy and between working part time, homeschooling my niece 3 days a week, and tending the garden I had my hands full to say the least. She returns to a mostly at school schedule next week and I go back to work full time, but I’ll have more free time to post. Firstly I’d like to put it out there that I dislike using this CMH light, but until I can get a couple sp6500s this will have to do.

First up a few shots of the flower room. Some of the clones seem to dislike the lighting for one reason or another, possibly the intensity or heat, but genetic sensitivity could be a factor as well. The ninja fruit is in virtually a similar space to some of the others and the leaves have remained completely green after almost 10 weeks. Temps run 73-77 depending on the day. NF will be chopped at 11 weeks and i’ll update then again.

I want to show you all one of my most prized strains, Lucky 7’s from GPS! I root in solo cups 20% filled with water for two weeks, changing the water every 2-3 days and have had success maintaining every strain but 1. Look at the 2 with fishbones!! :heart:

I recently popped 15 Purple Urkle x Jack Herer testers and 8 Sour Lime Auto F2’s from @JBow918. 2/15 PU x JH popped and all 8 SL autos made it with 4 being short and/or runtish looking and 4 being tall and vigorous growers. Circled are the SL autos.

As a side note I have about 20+ unsexed plants/clones of potential moms that may end up being male, I will not end up with this many down the road after sexing. Also I have cut down again on some of the clones that I had now that some are in reveg or growing normal again.

Thanks for reading! Stay high and stay blessed.

3 Likes

Damn @MrMayhem1134! You have a lot going on there. Looking good. How much grow space do you have? Are you growing in tents and outdoors? The reason I ask is that’s lots of plants. You’re gonna be a bizzy cat before too long. Good Growin’

Blessings…

:cowboy_hat_face::chile:

1 Like