Medicated Hard Candy

My first attempt to make hard candy!! Watermelon & Root Beer!! They taste good but, next time I need to make them smaller. Too much to suck on!!
Made with Dragons Oil & lots of love!! A Birthday present for my sister :grin:

18 Likes

Normally, I am not a hard candy lover, but those look good.

The longer they last under the tongue, the faster the delivery of the medicine. :candy:

99%

5 Likes

Thatā€™s what she said!
Sorry couldnā€™t help myself.

P.s. what flavor brand did you use?

6 Likes

Lol!! After I reread the post, I knew someone would think that!! I used watermelon & a root beer flavor. The first batch was so beautiful but, I dusted with the ā€œsugar sherbetā€, a mixture of citric acid, powdered sugar & baking soda. Eeeewā€¦dont do that, unless you like the sour candies.

7 Likes

They look good ass hell more about the process please an sour would prolly be good with more citrus themed like a lime or lemon maybe a granny smith flavor lol

3 Likes

Thanks Growinblowin!! Iā€™ll share the recipe I usedā€¦
CULINARY SOLVENT
Search the blog:

Search
How do I make medicated cannabis hard candy?
9/22/2016 0 Comments

This recipe will yield approximately 25 medicated hard candies. Concentrated cannabis oil that has been decarboxylated (activated) will be used to medicate the candy recipe. ā€‹
For more information on creating concentrated cannabis oil using 190 proof Culinary Solvent, checkout these other blog posts:
Activating your cannabis through Decarboxylation
Quick wash tincture recipe
How to convert tincture into concentrated oil
Estimated Dosage
ā€‹25 candies will require 3 grams of concentrated cannabis oil. 3 grams of concentrate, at approximately 80% THC, will produce a batch of 25 candies with a dose of 96mg THC per candy. You can adjust the dose per candy by modifying the amount of oil added, or by modifying the quantity of candies produced in the batch. Because this recipe does not call for any fat, using cannabutter instead of concentrated oil will not produce desirable results. In addition to concentrated cannabis oil, source the following ingredients and equipment:
Ingredients
1 Cup White Granulated Sugar
ā…“ Cup Light Corn Syrup
Ā½ Cup Water
Coconut Oil for greasing the candy mold
Flavoring - this is optional, but there are lots of fun choices available. My personal favorite is root beer flavor. Flavoring can be purchased in the baking section, usually next to the spices, at your local grocery store or via Amazon.com.
Equipment
ā€‹8oz Liquid Measuring Cup
1 Quart Sauce Pan
Long handled metal spoon
Silicone Coated Spatula for scraping and directing hot sugar into the candy
Glass dish, or parchment paper, for setting down sticky spoons and spatulas in-between stirs
Candy Mold, really anything will work as a mold, I like to use a small ice cube tray. The silicone bottoms allow me to pop out my finished candies with little effort.
Candy (or Frying) Thermometer. Donā€™t attempt this recipe without one! While most cooking can be accomplished without a thermometer, candy is just not one of those things. Because cooking the sugar mixture to different temperatures results in different final textures and finishes, monitoring the temperature of the cooking candy is a critical step to achieving the desired final product. Candy thermometers are a special design using glass, and are available in the cooking section of most grocery or big box stores. Digital instant read thermometers may not be able to reach the high temperatures needed to make candy (over 220Ā°F), so be sure you have the right kind of thermometer before you get started.
Preparation
Grease your candy mold using a small amount of coconut oil on your finger tip. Apply to the bottoms, sides, and everywhere else. Do this step first and ensure you donā€™t have to settle for a large medicated blob of hard candy that didnā€™t have a home before it cooled foreverā€¦ While you are greasing your mold, grease a second mold in case you have extra candy, and there is a good chance you will probably have some extra candy. A small sheet of parchment paper works as a good place to put a little carry over hot candy mixture too. Letā€™s get cooking. ā€‹
Candy Recipe
Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in the saucepan and turn heat onto medium. Do not add cannabis oil until AFTER the candy mixture has cooked down.
Place candy thermometer on the pan so that the bottom bulb is positioned in the cooking sugar, but not touching the bottom of the pan.
Heat the mixture until the thermometer reads 290Ā°F. This will take about 20 minutes.
Turn off the burner and move the pan to a cool spot on the stove. Add 2 teaspoons of Rootbeer flavoring. Stir well to incorporate flavor throughout mixture.
Observe the temperature of the flavored hot sugar mixture, it should peak at 300Ā°F and then begin to go down. At this point, you have about 5 minutes to work with the hot sugar mixture before it begins to cool and harden permanently. This is plenty of time if you are set up beforehand with your greased mold ready to go.
Add your cannabis oil when the temperature drops below 275Ā°F.

6 Likes

i have a habit of chewing hard candies

2 Likes

And your dentist loves you!

3 Likes

Someone told me that you shouldnā€™t chew the hard candies. Just let them dissolve in your mouth. The reasonā€¦ the lining of your mouth absorbs the medicine faster.

Sublingual medication is as old as medication.

2 Likes

good to know, iā€™ve never had medicated hard candies. that would be quite a challenge for me!
iā€™d like to start consuming in a wider variety of ways. not a big fan of smoking.

2 Likes

There are so many different ways to medicate if you donā€™t like to smoke it. I made tintures yesterday & they were fairly simple. I used the green dragon, vegetable glycerine & the same flavors as the hard candy. I also like medicating with capsulesā€¦ a little more time to prepare but, easy to use.

1 Like

yes capsules would be my favorite but it seems like all need a concentrate to start, do you use RSO or shatter maybe? iā€™m not sure exactly how much flower iā€™ll need to last til next harvest and i donā€™t want to run out, although i guess my whole goal is to not use any flowerā€¦ iā€™ll probably do a concentrate run with all my trim first

did you use their 190 proof cullinary solvent recipe?

2 Likes

I made bubble hash with trim & then used the magic butter machine to process the hash into green dragon. It took two gallon ziplocks of trim & produced about 1/2 oz of hash. I used aprox 10 grams in the green dragon & got about 16oz of oil

2 Likes

so do you think your candies were around the 100mg dosage? iā€™ve never heard of green dragon iā€™ll have to look it up

1 Like

I got the recipe on a thread here. Iā€™ll see if I can find it & share it with you. There are many ways to make it. I used to pack a mason jar with trim & pour vodka over it to saturate. Leave in a dark, cool place for as long as you canā€¦
The longer it sits, the stronger it gets. When ready, strain with cheesecloth & then reduce it with air or heat to half (evaporate the alcohol )
It can be used in many different ways.

2 Likes

oh yes that sounds like rick simpson oil, do you need to decarboxylate the cannabis first or is the heat reduction enough?

1 Like

There is a lot of info in this thread. I learned a lot from it!! Sometimes the info is overwhelming & looks so difficultā€¦its not!! Just research & have patienceā€¦it can be fun & very rewarding :grin:

4 Likes

Yes!! That is a new word & technique I recently learnedā€¦decarbocalation!! A very important step that I will always use.
I decarbed before making the hash so, I didnā€™t repeat the process with the hash. Not sure if I should have but, Iā€™m very happy with the results of my labor!!

4 Likes

yes it converts the thc a to bioavailable thc so the step only needs to be done once

2 Likes