Meesh's 2019 Outdoor Grow Show

I have some marigolds blooming now in the veggie patch and sprouts just came up in the mj planters. I also made a cinder block planter for the one of the edges with lavender and lemon balm in it. Also some Bare Root geraniums that are just now coming up. Bugs hate them too!

10 Likes

awesome, looks like youā€™ve got your companion planting strategy totally figured out. Thatā€™s a cool looking colorful marigold, I usually grow the frilly orange xempasuchil mexican marigold.
The outdoor season got a late start here in the PNW, but now I have a bunch of happy seedlings enjoying the rain.

3 Likes

That one is a jaguar marigold. I planted some vanilla white hybrids too, but when I had a bug invasion the sprouts got killed. Now, Iā€™ve just planted some standard compact ones in the mj planter that are coming up now. Iā€™m tempted to throw a few cilantro seeds in there as well. I have some growing under my tomatoes now and the bugs donā€™t even touch them.

6 Likes

If they are praying they are happy, keep it up.

As for the Eds and potentially mixing them up, first doesnā€™t matter cause itā€™s just another plant its either gonna grow or not and do its own thing, but i will say so far even if they all came from different mothers amongst them then tend to throw out similar but multiple phenos which im starting to take notice of, so having an Ed that looks like a green yeah probably wouldnā€™t doubt it in the least, but the differences are more visible later on.

4 Likes

I swear it was the seabird guano tea I fed it.

It doesnā€™t matter to me much which ones come up, but darn it, I havenā€™t had a successful Dark Spark yet. Either no show or crinkle leaf so far. I am very stubborn though, Iā€™m gonna keep popping those suckers until I get a good one. lol

2 Likes

Anyone have any suggestions on which blackstrap molasses is best? Organic please. I need to Amazon some, if someone could send me a linkā€¦ Also, I canā€™t remember but last year someone sent me a link for a smartphone magnifying thing so I can look at trichomes easier than my loupe and capture close upā€™s of them. Anybody? Iā€™m blind as a bat and do that shaking thing when Iā€™m trying to look through the stupid loupe.

1 Like

there are plenty of apps out there for that or just use your standard camera app and allow it to be able for you to digitally zoom with it.

As for molasses go to a feed store i use to get 12.5kg pails for about $20-25 bucks cnd, i used them for compost teas and making rum :wink:

As for the dark sparks, why i gave so many seeds, so people could burn through them trying stuff. I still have lots if you need more.

4 Likes

the pitbull we know came from a dog bred for: determination & athletic ability, the bull & terrier. the mastiff isnā€™t known for the hyperactivity that the fox terrier is(i read they must be weaned at 6 weeks because the litters cannibalize themselvesā€¦vicious little fuckers!)ā€¦and over time we get to America(uh) & they were ā€˜nanny dogsā€™ watching over many homes & farms. Post WW2, mafia in the US bred them bigger/meaner, then 1970s cultural changes lead to demand for ā€œguard dogsā€ā€¦2000ā€™s rap stars & ghetto fame, etc. etc.

@Esrgood4u absolutely right itā€™s in the person training the dog but thereā€™s no mechanical ā€œlockā€ happening, pure stubbornness. :thumbsup: (they should be Scotlandā€™s 2nd dog! :laughing:). I read that protection dog trainers often spend months getting a rottweiler to bite & hold but the pitbull does it naturally. That was a very useful trait in managing bulls, as in, improved hybrid bull-dog. :gb:

So think of the pitbull like good weedā€¦they need proper cultivation to be at their best! :smile: :dog2:

All that said, Iā€™m obviously a devotee but do acknowledge that their abilities & traits mean that when one does maul a kid itā€™s a mess. When a beagle goes bonkers itā€™s not fatal. :thinking: ā€¦ But the same applies to any big dog.

:evergreen_tree: woof

6 Likes

So, the photos that I planted in the veggie patch are growing faster and are happier than the fems that are in the new mj beds. Fems seem to want Nitrogen. I suppose this makes sense as the veggie patch had a cover crop through the fall and winter and was also a large compost pile when I started. A couple marigold seedlings popped up and some clover, but I need to seed more tomorrow again. Next week the beds are scheduled for their liquid fish drench per the soil test, but thatā€™s 10 days out. Should I supplement them now with a bit of fish fert or just wait until the soil drench? I feel like these new beds will be so much happier once they have more plant life in them. They are so bare.

The photos donā€™t seem to want a darn thing out there. Bottom leaves are green and they are probably a node or two ahead of the fems. Iā€™ll get some pics soon.

Autosā€¦ the fem mix look like something ate one side of the leaves, Dark Devil is budding and happy. Blue dreams are both budding, happy but slightly ugly since I burnt the leaves a few weeks back with the foliar. Jamaican Haze is close to preflower same with Da Green.

5 Likes

I got the blackstrap molasses yesterday and have a new guano tea started out there. Last time I just used kelp with it and tested it on the tiny fem mix auto and the dark spark in preflower and they really liked it. I had also tested it on a bunch of my container flowers as well and I was really happy with the results. The other 4 autosā€¦ 2 blue dreams, Jamaican Haze and Da Green are all flowering or in preflower so I am gonna feed them the tea with added molasses tomorrow. Decided that I will give the fems that are yellowing in the mj bed a bit of straight fish fert tmw as well. Maybe just a half dose as next week is the soil drench to tide them over. Tried to take pics this afternoon with too much glare and shadows so they were useless. Iā€™ll try in the morning. I still have the 2 strawberry diesel fem plants that were up-potted and the Good Shit waiting to go in the ground and a few of Sparkles auto seedlings in starters still. I think at least one is another crinkle leaf mutant possibly both of them, so they are just in limbo until Iā€™m certain. Iā€™m determined to get 2 more autos grown out and Iā€™ll keep popping seeds until I do. I still have all summer. The photos in the veggie patch are still happy as pigs in shit and want for nothingā€¦ So LITFA there. Hope everyone is well and happy!

Oh yeah @Esrgood4u Dude, the haze is getting big! Very nice strain so far for outdoors. Really impressed, itā€™s almost as big as the blue dreams that were in the lead and they are a week or two older. Iā€™ll try for a new pic tmw!

6 Likes

So, in flower should I use a tiny bit of molasses every time I water now for sweeter buds? First time using it and going all organic any advice is welcome.

Tomorrow, Iā€™m gonna break out the blender and grind up the malted barley to put in the mj bed as well for special viteys for them for a few months. See how they like it, as it seems as if itā€™s one of those godā€™s gift to plants items. I figured maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a cup per plant then reapply in 2 months.

4 Likes

I used a LOT of cane sugar the first grow & would swear it had a ā€˜sweeteningā€™ effect even if science says no. It probably fried the microbes. :sweat_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Does science say no on the cane sugar? I would think they would use some of the carbs at least. Iā€™ve been warned about going easy on the molasses, once by @Tinytuttle and another friend told me she attracted ants by using too much on her grow once. Figured I would just use 1/4 cup or so to 5 gallons of water. Just donā€™t know if I should use it every watering throughout flower or not.

Andā€¦ the cherry berry white is looking fantastic out in the veggie patch. Hope she is a girl child!

5 Likes

[full disclosure; stoned af]

i think i used about 8x that much sugar :us: :muscle: because more = better :ant: :thumbsup:

1tsp molly molasses to a galloney of water

ā€¦

that reminds me of a method we used to get ants out of the house we called ā€˜the barnā€™ā€¦ just open up a 5lb bag about 15ā€™ from the kitchen door & the ants left the house & went insane with their crack party. then i used them as an ashtray. :skull_crossbones:

ā€¦

[too high. detouring to kitchen.]

7 Likes

Got some pics finally!
Fems

Good Shit

Reg Photos

Autos
Fem mix

Dark Devil

Jamaican haze

Blue Dream

Da green

Easy D?

Dark spark only 1 cotyldon

23 Likes

Iā€™m glad sheā€™s doing so well for you @Meesh. Hoping she gives you a mighty yield but in the end the proof is in the smoking. For haze being sativa dominant she has a real indica look to her with them fat leafs. Iā€™m itching to see her start putting some weight on now. :v:

5 Likes

:scissors: :clock10:

Iā€™d remove the bottom nodes from everything that isnā€™t flowering.
Itā€™ll likely be larfy & bugs use the bottom growth as a ladder. But I need to do the same thing asap, branches are growing too big too fast & breaking. :blush:

2 Likes

the main purpose of the molasses is just to supply a source of carbohydrates for the microbiology in your soil, increasing the activity of beneficial bacteria and other soil based organisms. It helps feed your microbes, which in turn create more available nutrients for your plants.
The molasses does have traces of sulfur and (if i remember correctly) small amounts of p and k which may benefit your plants, but you donā€™t really need youā€™re plants to be uptaking nutrients when youā€™re deep in flowering. in fact personally, I like my plants to consume all of their stored nutrients and resources before harvest. letting the plants develop a nice colorful fade as they consume their stored resources seems to result in the cleanest possible smoke.

8 Likes

I like to be pretty careful with carbohydrates, green mulch, peat/coir, and anything else that can start actively composting if the ratio is too high. If your organic soil starts thermally composting, it will literally cook your plants root systems.
I like to make sure that the majority of my soil is stable humus or clay, so there is no possibility of active composting. any mulch, compost, tea, or carbohydrates I apply are essentially just replenishing and recharging the soil and itā€™s microbiology. With organic gardening a little bit goes a long way, keep in mind that most amendments you apply will continue breaking down into available nutrients over a course of months or possibly even years.

7 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™m gonna def keep this in mind for the plants directly in the ground. Right now the plants flowering are the autos which are in containers. I could just feed them Megacrop, but I was hoping I could make the buds fabulous organically. Basically, what I gather from this is feed the newly flowering once with my guano/kelp/molasses tea and pretty much LITFA unless I see issues? aka molasses this time only? I guess Iā€™m not use to doing nothing to my container plants. I used fert every week before trying organic. I didnā€™t even plan to grow the autos organically just kind of evolved. All of my ground soil for the photo periods was already amended in the winter and I have more of a plan according to soil test instructions. Kind of flying by the seat of my pants right now with these autos.

6 Likes