Meesh's Winter Greenhouse Grow

That Dark Devil is not that bad, they all are getting hungry though. I would stick with your plan of 1/4 strength megacrop, bump it up as they get bigger. What’s your input pH, try to shoot for 6.0 in a soiless mix.

4 Likes

Honestly, I gave up messing with ph with my complete failure with my RO machine. I don’t have a real ph meter besides a cheapy prong one. Last time I started all of my plants directly outside in an actual seed starter soil not a soilless mix like in the greenhouse and I didn’t have a single problem. My tap water here comes out at an ugly 5.3 very acidic however the last 2 weeks they have been watered with mostly rain water and I never tested it. I’ll run out there and do a prong test though maybe it will give me a semi reading in those pots.

3 Likes

Okay @ReikoX The cheap ass prong thing says 7, but it always effen says 7. I am actually really surprised as it’s a soilless mix I would think it would be naturally more acidic and my naturally acidic water.

I have test strip tape for ph and that’s it right now. Can someone explain exactly what ph the water should be at to get the mix down to 6 and how do I do it? I have bottles of ph up and down for hydroponics,

The only damn thing I have ever done in the past for my soil cannabis is leave a bucket of regular tap water overnight to evaporate chlorine after I gave up on the RO machine.

4 Likes

Oh I know and all that stuff is gonna go by the wayside once the new living soil beds are finished, but for now I didn’t think the damn organic fish, kelp fert would burn them at half strength.

1 Like

Just curious is the fish an emulsion or a hydrosolate?

Just some cheap ass Kellogs organic fish kelp molasses fert. No idea

1 Like

Just looked back at my thread, the dark devil started the leaf issue 3 days after their 1/2 strength feed of it. Sounds about right if it’s a nute and sunburn as that’s right after the week long storm passed and they got real sunshine again. They are however already getting hungry (feed day is tomorrow) does that mean they used all of those nutes anyway. So, I should keep at half strength or maybe bring the switch to Megacrop down to 1/4 strength?

Edit- Nevermind on the Megacrop question just saw @ReikoX response… 1/4 strength it is

4 Likes

Most fish emulsions are made with pretty heavy duty acids and they end up taking the good stuff off and one is left with an inferior product now whether they try to ph balance it I don’t know but by nature most from a bottle are acidic iirc.

2 Likes

Boy is this a great learning experience! A little more info on the greenhouse itself… It is orientated facing south with the roll up door on the north side. I am going to to move the girls back to where they were when they were sun stretching when I feed them for a few days then check if they are reaching for the sun again when it’s not cloudy or raining. If they are leaning for sun when it’s sunny out then I am assuming that they will be okay with the sun being a little closer or hotter and move them back to the south side of the greenhouse.

Note… They may have been sun stretching because it rained for a week a bit ago. Maybe I moved them prematurely.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I also inspected the other sprouts that got fish fert in the greenhouse. Looks like the chamomile has slight tip burns… however they were closer to the back of the greenhouse near the door (on the north side). Maybe I did just burn them a bit. Cutting feed back to 1/4 strength as I had fed them all 1/2 strength last week. I think the combo of sunshine that they weren’t used to after a stormy week plus the feed was probably the culprit. At least I hope so.

4 Likes

So, I don’t know how to mix less than a gallon of nutes and I don’t bother… so if 6 grams is equal to a teaspoon. and Megacrop says full dose for seedlings is 2 grams that’s 1/3 teaspoon at full strength.

What the hell is a 1/4 of a 1/3 teaspoon? WTF do I do to measure that? lol Maybe just fill 1/4 teaspoon to like 1/2? JEEZ! 'Merica we don’t have kitchen tools to measure grams unless we have a damn scale and I don’t. Help please!

5 Likes

Haha this shit is funny! Wouldn’t it be 1/12th of a tsp? Take a tsp level it off pour it on and glass plate and stretch it out like a line of coke and split it 12 times wouldn’t that be close? Lol

5 Likes

My guess would be a pinch! Lol

3 Likes

RIGHT!!! :joy: and this is a accountant you are talking to? You would think with all those damn advanced math classes I took in college I would have known that. Ummm… yeah! This chick is SOOO calculator reliant now that I can’t remember half of the basic times tables. I’m gonna wing it for a bit then buy a damn milligram scale!

5 Likes

I’m getting back to work now where thank dog I don’t have to measure money in fractions of fucking cents!

:joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

In soil with organic fertilizers pH is not very important. You end up feeding the microbes which in turn feed the plant. The plant plays a role in this by exuding carbohydrates that attract specific microbes depending on what the plant needs at that time. They also adjust the pH of the rhizosphere to attract specific microbes or uptake specific nutrients.

In a soiless mix with nutrients you are feeding the plant directly. The plant no longer needs to produce these exudates and adjust the pH. The job of the microbes falls on you, so your input pH should be adjusted. For a soiless shoot for 6.0, give it take a bit.

The pH strips work well enough to get you in the ballpark. Use your pH up and down to get you where you want to be.

6 Likes

Thanks @ReikoX! I had this idea of grandeur in this soiless mix that it would somehow be easier, but it turns out I am a old fashioned dirt farmer much more comfy in the soil. lol Since this is an experiment for me, I’m gonna persist and fuss with them as necessary, but as soon as they are big enough into soil they go where I feel more confident. I finally sent in my soil sample yesterday from dirt we dug out of the new designated cannabis beds. I’m really excited for June to come so I can start this years grow in my new living soil bed and start really trying out organics.

6 Likes

Weekly feed happened. They all got Megacrop at 1/8th of a teaspoon per gallon. I was over trying to measure 1/12th lol Wasn’t gonna happen. The devil and the swan got their weekly mammoth P inoculation. Still have one control devil without. Didn’t linger too long on the cannabis today. Had other things to do. They were fine. Alive. For now… lol

8 Likes

So, I researched a few professional greenhouse sites and some regular gardening sites. Apparently, algae is the number one problem in greenhouses! lol Glad it’s not just me, cuz the shit keeps coming back. Most pro greenhouse growers pump all kinds of gross chemicals in to try and control it. The little back yard people like me say that it won’t hurt my seedlings and just to lightly cultivate the starter soil and break up the algae so it doesn’t form an impenetrable crust that water can’t get through. So alas, it was plastic fork time, so I forked them all.

The babies look fine. The one dark devil without P looks really light still, but I recall @Mr.Sparkle saying that the DD’s have pretty light leaves. The same one is continuing to eat it’s cotyledons so I’m contemplating giving it a 2nd feed this week tmw of weak Megacrop. The other 2… with Mammoth P look fine although still smaller than the one without, but they have been the whole time.

7 Likes

Looking good Meesh! I wish I had an outdoor gh this winter. None the less I will continue to live through yours. Continue the good work.

6 Likes

It’s raining again until Tuesday, plants are looking good. The one devil is still a little light, but I think it’s okay until it’s next feed. Pics next week, haven’t noticed too much change. What I remember from the last autos that I grew, was that they seem like nothing is really happening and then suddenly take off like crazy. Using LITFA for now.

6 Likes