Mexican Death Sativa repro

You’re only the one doing the preservation run, unless you introduced different genetics or promised that this was a stabilized genetic preservation. Anyone growing heirloom or landrace genetics hopefully recognizes the risks associated with them.

10 Likes

Old school strains are notorious for being seeded back in the day and I’m positive it wasn’t only because the males weren’t removed. Hermi traits have been in plants genetics for a LONG time…. Before hybridization came about.
Some plants are extremely sensitive to being grown outside of their natural habitats. It’s in the nature of the beast when it comes to old landraces.
It’s not your fault at all brother, don’t let it get ya down and grow on! :v:

14 Likes

I don’t think you should have done any different mane. You did a OP/seed increase, now you’re selecting. All good. I’m lucky to have the mds and now we have more info as you work em. I thank you.

10 Likes

I am not worried about it…it happens when you have heirlooms and landraces indoors

7 Likes

Received mine today.

1 Like

It has begun!!!

4 Likes

Lets update this while I wait to clock in:

So after the herm fiasco, I’ve been checking everything religiously. Everything else looks good… although two others had one small male flower on em. Didn’t feel like they were worth culling yet, so I marked em, moved em to the corner, and will give em a chance.

In other news, I think the hermaphroditism was genetic. I was in such a rush to cull them that I forgot to see which mother they came from — i.e the ”pissy” mom, which sucks because I liked her the most. So almost all of the pissy female progeny is culled, and one of the two questionable ones is the last pissy.

Lets move on to the males:

I moved them to different, smaller tent since there’s so few this run (8). All look fine. I’m weary because a few of them come from the pissy mom, including the broad leaf one that I’m so excited about.

Nothing super special to note, but these three look the most like majority of the original males.

The fastest to drop male is also the shortest. I always heard that I should pitch the first males to drop pollen because they lower thc in the progeny…. But I’m not sure if that’s just stoner lure.

And then of course we have the broad leaf. He was the last to start dropping pollen, and there’s still plenty unopened sacs. I’m excited for him. Pardon anymore fiascos, I intend to reveg him. The only thing that worries me at this point is that he’s from the sandalwood/cedar mom — I hate the terps she has/seemed to pass on.

edit:
I forgot to note that I still have seeds from other females I liked (+ two packs of the OPs I sent out). Might need to dig through those sooner than later.

26 Likes

So what’s your strategy here? You going to keep running the males, maybe give a little tough love to see if they express any intersex traits?

4 Likes

Yes, pretty much.

I like to see what the males do in late flower, and I like to see what males do during the reveg process. Assuming I find one or more that I like after reveg, I have a few females from different lines that I like and know a little better. I’m hoping to pair them up with an MDS male…. Then I’ll grow out the progeny to see if he’s a good choice.

15 Likes

So here’s another quick, stupid update:

I’m not even sure how long it’s been, I’m not even going to guess. But as I check everything looking for balls all over again… I’m starting to see a lot of resin developing on all of them. Quick heads up, the flowering structure differs a bit between phenotypes, but several of them look like they are/will produce a decent bit of biomass. Only one is mostly leafy with smaller underdeveloped buds — I doubt that’ll get picked when it comes to selecting.

Anyways… The most exciting thing I can say is that I have two phenotypes here that literally smell like fresh squeezed grapefruit juice — Not that storebrand shit with a fuck-ton of high fructose corn syrup added, I’m talking real grapefruit here! The unfortunate detail is: one of those two is one of the ones that was producing intersex parts that I kept.

To be honest…as of right now, I’m thinking about working the grapfruits until I reach some sort of sexual stability …… because everything else so far smells like their mother, the one that was the prettiest but smelled the worst; i.e. sandalwood/cedar :face_vomiting:

Another idea that I’m rumbling around in the ol noggin, is that I just go ahead and start popping the rest of my MDS beans and make selections until I run out :thinking: which will happen eventually, but I was hoping I could run some other stuff while I select/stress test this current batch of females and males.

IDK man… Growing is fun.

23 Likes

Lets do another update:

I’m starting to take better notes. If the date on the plant tag is correct, these were flipped on 9-20-21… give or take a few days, because sometimes I’ll pot them up (& plant-tag em) but not flip. Anyways….

No new herms or questionable plants. Mainly just chugging along. Sometime within the last week they started producing aromas — ALL reminisce of grapefruit; 1 phenotype leaning more towards ”sweet”, and iirc one was muted. I don’t know how you all feel about grapefruit terps, but I fucking love them! Out of everything I’ve grown in the last decade, I haven’t had a “grapefruit“ plant since the autumn of 2011. So needless to say I’m happy.

The biggest confusion is that majority of these are from that sandalwood/cedar mom, and I hated how she smelled. She was super pretty in terms of resin production and leaf shape. Many of these share the same leaf shape as her (Narrow, good leaf:flower ratio, etc) , and one in particular seems to be producing tacky, high density resin. Not that this is an issue for me, but I noticed resin gland heads are smaller than most modern stuff. When it comes to possibly making more seeds of these, maybe I will choose one mom that produces the biggest resin heads, and see if that passes on to the next generation. Needless to say, I’ll reveg whichever females are most appealing from this batch, then grow another grouping of seeds until I’m out of my OP seeds. I don’t exactly have a “goal“ in mind, other than uniformity, but I would like the line to produce higher biomass with density, and hopefully as close as I can get to a ceiling less high. Along the way I’ll test different males on females, and compare them from season to season. I’ll also line-breed in different directions.

I’ll talk about the males another day. I was going to pitch three of them… But I have decided against; they actually looks somewhat impressive. Although some have shitty visible traits.

Random pictures of Phenos (completely unedited):

32 Likes

Love those grapefruits myself. They look great and glad they are making you happy, that’s what it’s about. Hopefully you will get that resin production with the grapefruit.

3 Likes

Oh man I love sandlewood/cedar terps. Good news for me. The grapefruit pheno sounds delicious as well though.

9 Likes

I call it church weed incense kinda smell.

5 Likes

Seed 1 didn’t pop; but here’s seed #2 yesterday at day 6 since having it’s sandbox tumble & distilled water bath.

It seems to like it’s lavastone skull and severed hand friends.

17 Likes

I’m such a fucking idiot. You know what I just realized, that may be the cause of the herms a few weeks ago?

The fucking dehumidifier has a glowing blue light.

Only realized it today because I’m going in late to work… decided to water while lights are off. FML

Edit. I’ll blame the light for the bananas, but chalk the full blown herms up as genetic. It’s too easy to pass blame.

14 Likes

I did the same thing with my controller for my infinity fan. It has a lighted display that is blue, and was lighting my off time like a full moon. Noticed it one night too. It can be turned off but must have left it on when adjusting it one day. I did have a higher number of bananas that run!

10 Likes

6 layers of duck tape later and it’s fixed. Lol

7 Likes

A couple other ways to mask those LEDs…
Liquid electrical tape (you can peal it off later) & black fingernail polish.

Cheers
G

10 Likes

Shit, man, missed this thread until just now. That sucks about the herms, but other than that, everything sounds/looks good. I guess I’ll just be super-aware and check the plants closely, whenever I get around to popping these seeds. You got any other logs I’m not aware of, @lambchopedd? Haha.

5 Likes