Michigan Monkey Paw?

Alright Peeps, this is my Unicorn. Tell me if you have heard of it and/ or smoked it. Describe your experience and where it rates on your list.

The strain originated in SE Michigan and it’s very murky as to how it came about. I have talked to dozens of people that have smoked it and rate it very high even though it’s been over 30 years. Also have run across many threads with people claiming to have it, cut only but none would ever show plants or buds. Leafly has the information on it but it is one of those strains that gets held very tightly by those who posses the genetics. Tell me what you know and let’s try and OG this Strain around the world for all to enjoy a taste of the 70’s-80’s

6 Likes

I’ve had it, my buddy ran it for a while a few years back(about 2 1/2 roughly) I remember i liked it but trying to remember taste and such.

Edit: I hadn’t known it was a local strain though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input @Deadinside88 do you know if it was cut or seed? what area are you in? I have had a few samples of red monkey paw which is supposed to be a mix with Redbud but was disappointed in the quality but usually am with their 10%RU lava rocks that grind to dust. These samples did not look or taste like original. I am sure over 45 years a strain will change or be changed by influences. What I remember was dark small finger size airy bud with Orange hairs. Buz was Thai stick like only longer. This stuff pushed the hawiian , redbud and skunk off the top shelf.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was a cut, I’m out around mushroom festival area.

1 Like

???COlorado?

Nw Michigan lol

1 Like

Cool havnt done the shroom thing in 45 years…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Appreciate any info you could dig up, I am near Metro Airport. Used to have some property on Chain of lakes in Bellaire. Miss getting up that way. Best man lives outside of Traverse

You ever see the Moose Tranquilizer or Moose Knuckles anymore, relatives on UP used to bring that in from Wisconsin?

lol I meant morels like mushroom festival in mesick, out between traverse and mesick

1 Like

not offhand I haven’t

Hahahaha…too much wake and bake with GG4 here. Yeah buddy always sends me some, have an old oak in the back that I get some every few years

2 Likes

That’ll do it lol. I haven’t found any this year yet but haven’t really gotten to make it out either. Been checking a few spots in the yard that they pop but this weather has been fucked (snowed off and on yesterday)

1 Like

Radio Ridge in Santa Cruz, CA has it. @radioridgenursery on IG.

2 Likes

It is seriously one of the most amazing strains I have ever smoked, and I have been smoking since around 1975. I lived in SouthEast Michigan at the time, and around 1978 I recall getting ahold of some of MonkeyPaw, and it blew my mind, and I haven’t come across anything like it since.

5 Likes

Just as anyone I have talked to in the last 15 years who have had the pleasure!! We can rebuild it…GLG has what it says is original Monkey Paw x Katsu Kush x Tom Hill Deep Chunk. Have three just in 12/12 wains to get sex and grow out a female Sativa leaner for a test smoke. Then the fun begins, take it back to what we ( those who have smoked it, agree was the unique nuances, as the makings are basically the same ingredients as Skunk#1 but I an unknown % or tree.

Thanks for the input, stay tuned for updates, you in MI?

1 Like

I am in Michigan, and I came across Monkey Paw around 40 years ago. I was looking for some bud, and a friend told me to call the local Domino’s pizza and ask for a certain pizza driver, and I did and he said he would be by my house some time during the evening, when he had a delivery in the area. I waited for several hours, and decided he wasn’t going to show up so I dropped a couple of hits of acid, I think some microdot. I was getting off nicely on the acid when the door rang, and it was my pizza driver, so I bought a bag of monkey paw off of him, and I smoked it, and I swear I got higher off of the monkey paw than I did the acid, which is saying a lot. I smoked it later after I came down, and the effects were still amazing. I ordered a few more bags but then the supply dried up. I had heard through the rumor mill back then that it was a clone only plant, and that it was being grown by a vietnam vet, and some kids broke in to his house and stole either the mother or a cutting and that is what we came to know as monkey paw, and I always assumed that is why it disappeared as quickly as it arrived, because anyone who would break in to a grow room etc, probably doesn’t have it together enough to keep that strain going for long. Because of that I have always been dubious of claims of monkey paw, but I have heard of it being around here and there, and have smoked what some claim to be monkey paw, but it never had that same intense high like the original that I got from the pizza driver.

4 Likes

Where bouts Monkey? I’m just south of metro and I have heard that story. My guys connection WAS a Vet and we were blessed a few times a year with the Paw, right around when the Thai stick cane in. I have not seen the original since 89-90. And have had the red monkey paw but it’s no comparison with the dispensary 5%RU cure lock out. I also thought it was a vietnamese strain, because of timing and the connect supposedly was growing it in Saline. No way an old school Viet or Thai would finish at 42N.
I also have a few lines on social media I need to check out. Have to have wife do it since this is it for my social media. In the mean time I am checking what I have for taste and effect and gathering the oldest of the originals as stock I can. Need a true Columbian Gold, have plenty of AG just in case and a Sativa heavy Kona Gold that might take some of the Dutch out. Here’s the 3 Brutal Paw from GLG just getting ready to show and hopefully do a little Sativa stretch.

1 Like

I lived in the Ann Arbor area, and still do. I used to grow a lot of weed outdoors back in the day, and in fact one of my favorite spots to grow was where Domino’s Farms is located right now, right around lobby M in fact lol. We grew some great plants back then, and I wish I still had one seed of that, but no luck. We did have Ed Rosenthal over to the indoor grow area once when he was in town for one of the early Hash Bash events, where he held a grow seminar in one of the U of M classrooms, along with a guy named Dr. Indoor aka Bram. After the seminar Ed came by and we gave him quite a few seeds, so hopefully those genetics are still floating around somewhere. I am just a couple of weeks behind you on the Brutal Paw, mine just popped their heads above ground. I will hopefully get some photos up sometime of my progress. That’s great that you are trying to recreate it using the same genetics that made it up in the first place - I wish you luck and will pay close attention to your progress on that project.

6 Likes

Good deal your half hour away, when I get a lady done I can gift you some testers from mine. They are on sale so I’m gonna grab another pack and try and locate an original cut to compare too. That will leave me 30 Brutal Paw for a pheno hunt of the best Sativa leaner to get that trip weed laugh your ass off high. It had to be a heavy Sativa leaner back then judging on buzz and bud size (fingerlings). May find a few guys with room in the tent to join in on a collaborative effort to bring it back as an OG Elite.

There is a second x I will make along the way called Columbian Necktie which is Monkey Paw x Durban x Vietnamese Black which I also have stock for.

Still remember my connections name “Snail”, way to many Qualudes. Lotta good outdoor used to come outta dexter/saline/AA, great soil like Belleville, best peaches and cream sweet corn on the planet. same soil here live on old family farm. Hoping to get 2f/1m on the paws so I can make the first backcross and put one outside to see what it will do. Also breed the new stock on lowers for more pheno hunts. Others outside are a Purple Thai, Black Pearl and Ace Panama Red… think they all should finish. May throw a kushy in just for an early harvest, just cupped a few Skunk1xBP clones that might do the trick.

1 Like

@fourwiseguys on IG i believe has it

1 Like