Micro Growing with Mr.Sparkle *2018 Part 2of2*

Threw a rubber band on the apex shoot of the front Blue Dream’atic. Gonna have to get serious with them tomorrow as they are getting unruly.

Edit: see below

10 Likes

The Blue Dreama’tics got out of hand last night as expected, got about 2-3cm “1in” from the lights. So had to beat them back with me yelling “Back you demon beasties, back”

Haha anyways here are some pics, and i removed the GIF from the above post and added two more pictures too it.

Before

After

The previous flop bulking up well, noticed the taped stem i broke behind it thats just trucking along.

Same plant as above all flopped and tucked, as i use other leaves and or stems to hold down the flopped tops initally, Eventually they power back through them.

This is the other BD the front left one but here i am pinching/crushing and bending back the apex shoot, while using my figure as a guide and going slowly and re pinching and slight bending as i go to avoid snapped stems.

The stem from above folding back on its self.

And the GIF So the last 4.5days… :astonished:

Gonna have to defoliate in the next couple of days due to it being packed in there and the flopping.

13 Likes

Woah did those grow fast!:+1::clap:
You must of used a lot of unicorn poop :wink:
Cheers

5 Likes

So plants just keep going, was getting too dense so had to pluck them back, if i can avoid doing so i will and ideally do as little as possible, as if you go too much they can slow down, also if you remove too much they “sense” in an essence that they are getting less light and continue to stretch, so its a balancing act but i probably went more than i should of and should of done it in stages, but we will see if they turn out, i know they will be fine but i hate removing good photocells and storage “leaves”.

Yesterday morning

When i got home yesterday it was time for some selective defoliation and bending over tops again.

all gone :frowning: just to try and keep things in check.

after

then this morning, proceeded with some more top bending, the BlueDreams Just won’t stay down, but if you have the height and light it would be interesting to see how they would turn out

14 Likes

The Blue Dreams in my bigger cabinets are all growing just a bit different under the different lights I have running at the moment… I was expecting slight differences though I am seeing drastic differences…

6 Likes

1st pic of all that leafage made me LOL :thumbsup:

:evergreen_tree: (posted my DD evidence/Sparkle’s Ark at the Forest Treehouse)

2 Likes

Well figure this was gonna happen, roots are so packed in the cups slowing down drainage that my watering is now flooding over the tops.

Made a mess so, removed the plants cleaned everything up, took off the top 5-6mm or for the Americans 1/4" or so off every pot just so the water has a place to sit when being flooded. Also punched out the drain holes in the cups as they were getting pretty congested.

Still gonna have to change my watering timer, probably will go for a 5 sec watering every 6 hrs compared to my previous control.

Mess

With the cups removed

Showing the root system only a couple mil under the surface i scraped/cut away

And a shot of the after math of how much i removed from the four cups in comparison, obviously fluffier in the dust tray than if it was compact.

lesson learn’t with auto top watering, leave space for water, don’t over fill.

11 Likes

good to see love these micro grows great work as alwaysi have 2 in red party cups from seed how much trouble do you have with roots filling the cup to fast mainly when switch to flower veg i think is fine ?

1 Like

maybe you could shake the medium mostly out from the cups and use the roots as the medium. maybe then some foil over the top to keep the light away.

4 Likes

cannot shake anything out anymore they are solid, it was just the top bit that wasn’t latched down from roots that was causing the issue, really just over filled the cups, but i knew this quite a while ago, just been playing the balancing game.

@casperdeigh at 3 weeks in they fill up the cup pretty fastor are working on it, 4 weeks its more or less a cup shaped baseball in denseness. But being root bound is more a state of mind, in that’s the only real way to limit plant size, and so long as you keep watering and feeding they will respond and grow per normal, just limited due to root mass size

7 Likes

Day 28 / Week 4 from sprout.

The plants are really saying “F U were growing and we don’t care what you want” damn Bastards lol.

So did some pretty heavy training, hopefully i wont have to adjust much more after now hopefully, but i had more height last round.

19 Likes

Definitely high stress training lol. They do not care at all, just keep on growing. BTW thanks for the conversion. It’s not my fault I’m American. I’ve been indoctrinated from birth.

8 Likes

Yeah they don’t care much, and in and feet are still used up here commonly in construction, even if design plans and floor area goverment wise is in meters.

Btw pluck a bunch more today as you always have to after some adjustment due to jammed or overlapping leaves, should be good to not touch for awhile.

Need to still change my watering programming though.

11 Likes

Hi Mr. Sparkle,

I’m positive you’ve put the info somewhere but what are the measurements of your box?

2 Likes

Pulled directly from the IKEA website, but that is outside dimensions

Width: 23 5/8 " Width: 60 cm
Depth: 15 3/4 " Depth: 40 cm
Height: 25 1/4 " Height: 64 cm

4 Likes

Day 31 from sprout. They have definitely slowed down, not happy with how much i had to pluck and how little height i have left though.

Feed is 950-975ppm and changed the programming to 4 sec watering’s every 4 hours.

13 Likes

Damn every four hours?? How much do they drink a day?? I’m already impressed and you havent even flowered yet.

2 Likes

They are flowering :wink: autos. Actually looks like i need to bump up the watering duration as they seem dry for my liking.

3 Likes

But my end of the weekend update.

I didn’t like how tall they were this morning so went the aggressive route and put in some time and did some folding, broke a couple branches, injured some more than i would of liked but they should survive, some plants were good and some were crap “back left” but the folding or "N"ing literally involves making the stem fold back on it self like a N held in place with a rubber band.

Really only needed if you absolutely need to reduce your height when in a limited space.

This morning

After some work

Came back later to work more on the back left plant, the others were already starting to mend and point up gonna still be 3-4 days till they balance them selves out though and get some decent healing in.

Not the best pics but the stems of the front right plants.

Im now content with the height, and they aren’t stretching much anymore so should be good. Should of done it in the first place, but didn’t expect them to exploded like they did.

14 Likes

Dragging the discussion over here but i typically need to spray for about 2-3 weeks, and stopped once pollen sacs are almost ready to go, or are really starting to form, but like any plant you need to keep them happy as much as possible the CS spraying does hinder them, i would also rinse them occasionally as with the basic home made stuff you do get some larger particles that can coat the leaves over time.

5 Likes