Micro Growing with Mr.Sparkle *2018 Part 2of2*

I always think I build some cool looking stuff until I come on here and see stuff like this. That’s really pro you could sell those.

I’m going to be building a new box soon and was wondering how I could install my scrubber without losing headspace…I think I’ve found my solution. Great thread!

4 Likes

Day 13/0

Peeled off some shells tonight on the UVxLR2’s So we will call tomorrow day one on them, the DD’s are starting to grow, im low on their feed level right now but will change that tomorrow, or at least give them a quick watering with higher strength feed, till i swap out the res’s

Also my parts got here for the mover so, just need some machine screws and a couple of nuts and washers and i can get this thing going, well at least the slider and motor part, i will be making the light height adjustable but haven’t give a lot of thought to adjustment solutions for ease, literally will probably be some braided cord with two tie off points, either some easy mini boat style anchor point, or a bolt to tie off too.

21 Likes

Day 16/3

Turning around from the slow start.

16 Likes

I’ve been following this grow with awe and rapt attention.

I’m actually running a very similar grow (but not micro) right now with a rasp pi powered relay running hourly schedules on a pump!

Biggest diff is this is my first hydro grow :sweat_smile:

If it’s not too much to ask, would you be willing to break down your feeding schedule by germ/veg/flower and concentrations?

From what I can see you seem to keep it pretty low into flower, in the 1.1 EC range, and are running hourly at around 15 seconds?

Amazing work, inspiring!

5 Likes

Am looking at doing this with a Rasp Pi. Any chance we can get you to post what you’re using (relays, software, etc)? Every one here is using something else, like arduino and the home automation stuff.

2 Likes

What lights did you install in the ikea pink box? I cannot wait to see the lst on this female.

Easy to drill for fan? I will definitely grab one of these next time I’m in

1 Like

Very unique systems you have here.

Be careful with height on the UVxLR mine stretched from 6"-27" in two weeks

3 Likes

Will do, the small containers should help in that department.

Ended up being 5 x 8w philips SIL that i broke down also they are only running on three of the drivers, so 22ish watts of actual power usage.

Also using the smaller lixhult so not that one, but that is more for a challenge between me and jelly, but ive been contemplating making a general pink box challenge instead.

depends on the nutrients your using but say for mega crop i use 500ppm (0.5ec conversion on my meter so 1.0ec) on the first soak and week if needed then on to 750ish for the next week, and as soon as the plants pick up say week 2.5ish they are bumped up to 1000-1100ppm, pretty much till they tell me they don’t want anymore when i start seeing my reservoirs ppm rise in the last two weeks typically, so i just scale back usally to 500ppm then to straight water as they start shutting down, i just follow what the plants tell me.

As for watering time, totally depends on the pots and the media, the plants, and your setup though, for me its about 10-15sec from every other day down to every 1.5hrs depending on plant growth and size.

Also should mention yeah i still use arduino stuff, but its not needed and really to me over complicating things when you

step back and take a look at things as really there are now quite a few delay timers or thc15a’s or sonoff’s that can cover the base work of a cab, temp and humidity can be done with a little weather station like i use, as it displays highs and lows when i want it to.

4 Likes

This is fantastic, thanks so much! It gives me a great ballpark to play with on my next run.

I’m running coco like you, but 6" pots so I’ll have to play around.

Agreed on the over complication, I probably should have played with sonoffs first, those things are great.

@WMoon518 I’ll get a thread together with pics on my setup, it’s pretty simple using a pi, a 4 way relay, and an application called node-red on the pi to handle all of the scheduling sent to the relay.

3 Likes

Thanks. I heard about that program but just by name. I look forward to reading about your setup.

1 Like

I throw an update in as well

Another day along the DD’s are now showing the damaged they sustained in their rough start but are moving forward, just like the LRxUV’s they are moving along.

Been playing around with the light mover setup a bit, need to order a different motor and broke the two switches i picked up, different lessons learned on both switches lol.

Also made up a small scrap wood mount for the rosin press, now i don’t have to flip over a chair to use it and can put it on any flat surface.

13 Likes

Which are the ones in the middle? Are they the LRxUV’s? I guess I am doing something wrong. Mine never look that big until 10-12 days.

On another note, how did you attach the lights to the small ikea cab? Am going to start a file cabinet build and it is similar. Are you using the cabinet as a heatsink?

4 Likes

all the small ones are LRxUV, #1’s being on the left apart from that center purple cup, it along side the ones on the right are the #2’s i like the top right one the most at the moment.

All the other plants are the DD f2’s but they are a bit behind where they should be.

As for the Lixhult

this gives you a general idea whats going on for it, i still have to make a watering system and drill for tubing, but apparently i threw out the pumps i was gonna use which are the old ones i used in my pc cases and bucket builds, so im gonna be using what i run in my reservoirs at the moment but need to wait for more to come in.

9 Likes

i take it those are the 14w boards you have used before? Did you put the controls between the sheet and the top of the “locker”? The other pictures you posted looked like you put the underneath the “locker” and used wood cleats to raise it up.

I am going to use (4) 50w Chinese 110vac cobs. The cabinet is a 4 drawer (tall). Should I fasten them like you did, or would you advise them be movable (up & down)?

Only thing I am waiting on is my welder (oh, and the drawers to be emptied).

1 Like

nope they are the 8w ones aka “60w equivalent” , and the electronics are all mounted to the bottom underside, the wood feet are just to allow air to come in from the underside, and i guess my 12v ps is a couple mm too tal so the wood feet helped with that.

Watch out for those cobs just fyi just with how some are constructed. Screw In Lights are a cheap effective solution just as an idea once you try out those cobs ;), but having them height adjustable is handy, Typically though if your working space “top of pot to lights” is say 12-16" you won’t need to have them movable, heck even up to 24"+ if you have enough light, but it all depends on factors.

1 Like

I got them for nothing so I figured I would mess around with them. If I use those, I figure they would be about 36" above the pot. The cabinet is 53" tall so I figure I will build up from the bottom for a reservoir about a foot and 6" to 8" from the top for the lighting. One of the guys was talking about using a muffin tin with SIL sockets and I also thought about that as well. That would cut it down to about 30".

Hopefully going to start testing the COBs in the next week or two so will make a decision then. Thought I would use a heavier cookie sheet to mount them with a few fans on top to aid in cooling

4 Likes

Our Micro-Jedi here is what got me here. Wild & crazy guy.

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Day 19/6

The LRxUV’s seem to be starting go mode, i expect them to take off shortly.

The DD’s are looking good, actually possibly a little to much N for how they typically run even though they look otherwise.
But im gonna leave it as is just cause the plants will be getting bigger and to just watch it a bit more before making a change.

17 Likes

Time for a New Thread…

Lets move things over to the new thread once once i get it going which is coming very shortly.

: just using this post as a place holder, that ill come back and edit with a link to the new thread:

So stay tuned

4 Likes

More great stuff from @Mr.Sparkle! You sir are a true weedsmith! Put some of those DD crosses away for oleskool when you get to making beans. My DD is just gorgeous so far. Just started flowering this week.
Much Respect. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes