Micro Octopot Grow

This will be a diary of testing my DIY micro octopot setup.
My tiny grow tents just don’t have enough height to use full size octopots, but I came across this cheap auto watering basin that looked like it could be used exactly to make a mini system just like the original.

Unsure if it will work, but let’s find out!

The details:

Step 1:
Cut round hole in center of fabric pot, so that the 3” net pot fits snugly and the flange prevents it from falling through.

Step 2:
Fill net pot only with hydroton/clay pellets

Step 3:
Fill fabric pot with soil/coco mix and soak thoroughly with pH 6.5 water

Step 4:
Place seedling in pot

Step 5:
Profit!

60 Likes

Thats sweet!!! Looks way better than the ghetto one I built lol, it took me no time to get root rot

Where did you find the base?

4 Likes

Edited original post to include Amazon link to the auto water bases
:+1:

6 Likes

Do you figure 4 would fit into the 2x2?

I think it would. The bases are only a touch over 10” wide

4 Likes

Sweet,ill be watching this to see how it works!

this is very interesting. Watching!

@firehead is there a reason for the cloth pot? would any other pot work in similar configuration?

1 Like

Where do you plan to fill the water too in relation to tge net pot?

I’ve read the octopod site info, and they make it sound as if the cloth pot is necessary to provide sufficient oxygen to the roots, since an air pump and stone is not used to aerate the water and roots like a typical hydroponic system.

https://www.octopot.com/

6 Likes

Filled it so that the bottom of the net pot is just in the water. Once the roots hit the net pot, they should reach down for the water even as the water levels get low.

At least, I hope :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

No wick(s)?

Nope. No wicks. In theory, The roots should hit the reservoir in a couple weeks and then they themselves become the wicks to pull up the water.

3 Likes

My issue was too much water all the time. I also had wicks in mine though. Took about 2 weeks and I had dirty smelly root rot lol

3 Likes

Thanks @firehead & @Grease_Monkey - I’m really interested in these, and will most likely end up building / buying one at some point.

The height from floor to top of pot is only 11-12”

16 Likes

try adding ~3ml of 34% peroxide per gallon. kept my rez clean!

11 Likes

Looking good, tagging along to watch the DIY octa in action!

You do not realize the ghettoness of an abortion that i created lol. No amount of hydrogen peroxide would have saved me lol

7 Likes

I’ll look for the thread, now i’m curious.
:rofl:

3 Likes

The Mango Smile is growing. Even if a little slow…

21 Likes