MMJ News and Information

So the herbal cannabis that we grow and use is more than 4 times as effective than pure CBD including GW Pharma’s $32,000/yr version…nature is amazing, and the CBD fad is way overblown…people don’t know what they’re missing

Less is more

Perhaps the most striking conclusion of this study is the dramatic difference in doses for isolates compared to full spectrum CBD-rich oil extracts. The mean dosage for people using pure CBD was 25.3 mg/kg/day, but for CBD-rich extracts it was 6.0 mg/kg/day.

In other words, CBD in a whole plant extract was over 4 times more potent than isolated CBD. This result is a reflection of what’s known as the “entourage effect,” whereby the therapeutic impact of the whole plant is greater than a single compound or even the sum of the plant’s individual medicinal components.

8 Likes

I’m all for that. But right off the bat I see something funny.

That’s their research. They didn’t actually do any; Just compiled internet searches & “Meta-analyzed”.

WTF. People get paid for the lamest shit, I swear.

:sunglasses:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

you’re not playing the “meta-analysis” game eh?? :smile: Researching the research!

3 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with the linked meta-analysis. They certainly conducted a lot more work than the flow chart you posted. Their work has been peer-reviewed and published in a respected journal. Its design is fairly standard, the methods rudimentary but sufficient to treat the subject, and the conclusions non-controversial. It represents a good overview of the existing research on the subject, and could inform researchers designing future studies.

It’s important to do things like this because it consolidates disparate research into one cohesive “state of the state.” The war on drugs has created a research embargo nearly worldwide. Not much researchers can do about that. The lead author has done some pretty good biochemistry and neuroscience research work, so there’s no reason to consider this trivial.

My only concern about the paper is the COI statement at the end. However, it was edited and peer-reviewed by others, and the journal published it, so I’m guessing the COI wasn’t an issue. Seems totally legit to me.

4 Likes

It’s a different kind of science than laboratory research, AFAIK. ?

So that get’s lost in headlines & the game of :telephone_receiver: telephone… :speaking_head:

I’m not formally educated on the subject, have no :dog: pedigree to speak of, but experience tells me that it’s of limited utility to the general public. So it’s less “criticism” from me…“more persistent skepticism” & investigating the headlines. Information sources are so obscured or muddled oftentimes.

I guess my dispute is that practical, direct experience type information, or more “material evidence” is what’s needed most. ?

Cannabis is so politicized a controversy that it’s nearly impossible to find impartial discussion/info/research.

And now i’ve lost the :railway_track: train of thought completely. :thumbsup: :clap: :blush:

:evergreen_tree: harumph :newspaper:

2 Likes

Amazing to me that Broward County devoted resources to apprehend this Doctor.

Seriously distorted priorities.

2 Likes

DAs are shitheads too. They find an easy 'mark just like cops, notching their belts, getting in front of cameras, etc. except they’re elected (most places?)…

:evergreen_tree: :sunrise:

2 Likes

Overall, an excellent testimonial.

How medical marijuana made me a better mom

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/national/health-science/how-medical-marijuana-made-me-a-better-mom/2018/11/16/37f4a28a-dc76-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html

3 Likes

Maybe?

2 Likes

:wink: I’d rather hang out with Jim than Diane…

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

:smile: I hear ya! At least she explains that yoga and exercise are two different things! :smile: I’m really turned off by the feminist narrative with weed legalization. It’s men that have by far suffered the most under Prohibition, men that got it legalized. Actually it’s almost exclusively white men that legalized cannabis…generally, minority activist groups didn’t get involved until the very end of the process. That’s an unacceptable narrative for corporate media these days. “White men fought persecution and won freedom for themselves, for targeted minorities, and to dispel sick women’s stigma and fears of medMJ” is a no-go apparently.

When we got weed decriminalized here in Mass. in 2008 the people involved in the 20-year efffort were 90% white men 10% white women. We eliminated 10,000 arrests starting in 2009 and every year since then - 80% of those arrests were people of color. I’m very proud of helping those communities and especially proud of me and my cohort of white men that got it done.

Also I always shake my head when I read of these people (often women that haven’t used weed because of the awful “stigma”, meaning a hit to your social status) that are afraid of cannabis side-effects that feel that edibles will be better. For me, side effects such as anxiety, heart palpitations, and paranoia are all much worse with edibles vs. vaporized flower, to the point where I won’t even take edibles or tincture anymore.

Ok that’s enough time preaching from the soapbox for this sunday. :smile:

4 Likes

one more, slightly off-topic…

Two mothers Friday tried to deliver the ashes of their two diabetic children to the Cambridge offices of drug giant Sanofi to protest the high price of insulin, which the company manufactures. The women said their adult children died while rationing the drug to save money, after losing their health insurance.

Antroinette Worsham of Cincinnati, Ohio, and Nicole Smith-Holt from Richfield, Minn., were joined by about 75 protesters. According to the Brookline-based Right Care Alliance, a patient advocacy coalition that organized the protest, Paris-based Sanofi is one of three insulin manufacturers that in recent years have marked up prices by as much as 5,000 percent.

3 Likes

Study: Medical Cannabis Associated With Reduced Opioid Use Among Patients With Lower Back Pain

http://norml.org/news/2018/11/21/study-medical-cannabis-associated-with-reduced-opioid-use-among-patients-with-lower-back-pain

While undergoing cannabis treatment, the majority of patients elected to “decrease or discontinue pharmaceutical analgesic consumption” – a finding that is consistent with those of several other studies.

2 Likes

Marijuana for menstrual cramps: The new way women are using weed

https://www.freep.com/story/news/marijuana/2018/11/22/marijuana-tampon-weed-pms/2085325002/

1 Like

Scientists pinpoint CBD dose for safe pain and anxiety relief without the cannabis high

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20181203/ri-considers-marijuana-legalization-as-new-england-turns-green--poll

3 Likes

RIP Utah medMJ…it only lasted about 1 month! The Mormon/Pharma alliance owns your ass if you live in Utah…

4 Likes

…reading this reminds me why so many of the devotees flew the coop for Holland & elsewhere back in the day. (well, pre '96, anyway :wink: ).

I’m thinkin Uruguay. BBQ, weed, & geopolitically insignificant. Landlocked but, hey…

:v:

3 Likes