MoBillys Forevermore Green Room Thread (Part 1)

I guess “Catfish head biscuits” was just a name granny called them. I looked for a recipe and only find “Cathead”.
Oh well, it’s a family tradition I’ll keep. lol

2 Likes

I love your thinking! lol

As for the biscuits I got it right away :wink: made sense to me

2 Likes

They sound just like the biscuits my Mom grew up on in Cape Breton. We cover them in molasses and eat them warm from the stove.

1 Like

Made me think right away about the fish cakes my Dad made when he was around. This is the only way you could get me to eat a Northern Pike. LOL

1 Like

I’ve never tried northern pike. It’s one fish I’ve never caught a little one of either. I’ve caught maybe 15 ever , all donkeys. But haven’t hooked one in a decade. I’m realizing I need to get out for some pike! My buddy Paul makes fish biscuits all the time, I think from walleye though. “Biscuits and cheeks “he always says lol says he could live off of them

1 Like

I’ve never been a fan of fish cakes. I should say I’ve never been a fan of the ones I’ve eaten. I’ve seen some made by chefs on TV that I would definitely try.

1 Like

Some bigger salt water fish, I keep the collars around the head . I also keep the areas around the fins and the carcass. I only throw away the head . I roast it all in a big sheet pan and make cakes with a little panko and egg and parmesan with seasoning .I freeze it in baseball sized balls. I look forward to it in winter.

9 Likes

Those sound great actually @Hashpants

2 Likes

It’s partly about limiting how many I need, but it’s really good as well.I have been out and didn’t get anything, and see others with 2 large Cobia . They take the filets and I took the rest. Fish cakes for a year for one ! From what was going in the dumpster.

3 Likes

I love eating fish. I like it mild. Flakey. Crab cakes, yes. Fish cakes. No. I don’t like any that’s “fishy” tasting. Don’t like greasy, oily fish.
Growing up where there’s commercial fishing, there were a lot a Portuguese. Where I live now, and as a kid. My neighbor Fred loved that stuff. The oilier the better. He liked his fish greasy.

1 Like

His cholesterol level is probably great right now too. lol

I respect the hell out of that. People, in general, are a wasteful group. I’ve heard that Americans are the worst. lol
We’ve always tried to make the absolute most out of what we raise.

2 Likes

Some guys I was hunting with didn’t use the front shoulders as some were shot etc. I made 40 # of burger with about 7 of them. Later they were out of meat and started wondering about "our " burger. I said My burger is in the freezer with the rest of my meat,I didn’t notice you having any.

2 Likes

A while back we started making bone marrow broth to use for stews… There’s a lot of healthy goodness in those bones if you boil them out. It adds something special to the flavor as well.

3 Likes

Not being gross but also just smoking the bones and splitting them bone marrow it self is pretty tasty.

1 Like

The wife loves her biscuits and can’t get enough of them when she’s down home :house:, :joy::joy::joy: seems like people from the south measure :straight_ruler: everything in the size and quality of the biscuits and that salty ass country ham! :flushed::roll_eyes:

IMG_5075

2 Likes

I think it’s so they don’t have to feel bad about going back for seconds. “OH NO! I only need one biscuit thank you. OH and just a single spoonfull of gravy”, as they reach for the giant ladle.
:laughing:
See how my mind works. lol
Now I need some B&G badly!

4 Likes

Good afternoon Green Room. Have a great day

3 Likes

You too @Emeraldgreen ! Caught up with you!

1 Like