MOTR Does Micro

I noticed you said you use sodium thiosulfate for making pollen. Do you mix it with silver or anything?

I plan on trying this soon and the sodium thiosulfate is much cheaper than colloidal silver!

2 Likes

I tried the silver 1st …8 attempts later I found the STS and fell in love. With silver, you have to spray at least once daily if not 2, 3, 4 times though with STS its every 3-5 days and is the exact same thing florists use to prevent blooming on annuals for transport…only drawback is it is a bit caustic though dishwashing gloves, a good pair of construction goggles and mask solves that problem :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

That’s awesome. So it’s only the sodium in your solution and nothing else? What strength do you mix it to?

1 Like

Not quite…2 stock solutions are made then when ready to use they are combined together.

Stock A: 0.25grams Silver Nitrate into 1c (250ml) distilled water
Stock B: 1.95grams of Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate into 1c (250ml) distilled water

These will last ~6months in the fridge then when ready to use for 30 days, 50ml of stock B is put into a brown glass spray bottle then 50ml stock A is added…quickly swish it around in a circular motion to mix then add 3 3/4c (900ml) distilled water to dilute… I spray just after lights out and again mid way through the night cycle on spray days (every 5 days unless hard to turn then every 3 days) on a select female until the 1st flowers start to open (~4 spray days). This plant is not salvageable so is thrown away once done.

The same is used for annuals to delay flowering for ~30 days except they are sprayed once then only 1 more time 7 days later

13 Likes

Great info, thanks! :evergreen_tree::clap:

1 Like

Alright, lets get this journal going again! Its time to reverse sex on a DBHP clone for a feminized version using Sodium Thiosulphate Solution.

The chemicals

We’ll start with making the stock solutions starting with the Silver Nitrate stock

0.5grams gets dissolved into 500ml (2c) distilled water using a plastic spoon. It starts out as clear…the longer its exposed to light, the darker amber it gets.

Now for the sodium thiosulphate stock

This sodium thiosulphate is the pentahydrate (crystal) version rather than the anydrous (powder) so it takes ~0.67 times more than the powder to balance out the silver nitrate. This also gets dissolved into 500 ml (2c) distilled water

The mixed stock solutions

Next I pour each into its own dark bottle and kept in the fridge. So for the next year, I can refresh the working solution. The working solution is made by taking 10ml of Silver Nitrate stock and pouring it into 10ml Sodium Thiosulphate stock

I then dump this in a brown glass sprayer bottle and add 180ml distilled water for a bit further dilution

Now when I spray, I make sure the soil is covered so the chemicals don’t run off and affect the roots as the girl gets saturated not once but twice ~15-20 minutes apart out of direct light

After the 2nd spray down and mostly dried, the plant gets set under 12 hrs light to initiate flower

There is a lot of spray left. I could put it in the fridge with the stock solutions for the next 30 days though this 1:9 dilution is really only good for the 1st spray so down the toilet it goes and gets treated as a normal girl just starting to flower… in 5 days, she will receive another spray down of the mixed stock solution though with a stronger 1:4 dilution

19 Likes

I noticed the de-chlorinating stuff I’m using has this SodiumThioSulfate too. :thinking:

WTF.

If I get 30 males from 35 starts then we know what’s going on… but that sounds like midevil science too much…

:laughing:

:evergreen_tree: she turned me into a NEWT! :neutral_face:

7 Likes

Sodium Thiosulphate by itself really won’t do anything just don’t go adding any silver nitrate and you should be fine :wink:

3 Likes

Great info there as always. Bookmarked a couple of posts in case I ever want to fem some girls.

Always a pleasure to read your posts full of information.

Peace

Bonged

3 Likes

2 days after the initial STS spray

So far so good. She received her 1st watering with megacrop: 1/8 tsp (0.75gram) in 8cups water

12 Likes

Whelp, here we are on day 5… STS day!

For this (and every) spray here on out is diluted 1:4. Ready?

Materials

Measure out 50ml of SST B and pour into the measuring glass

Measure out 50 ml of SST A

Add A to B in the measuring glass while stirring

A 30 second stir job mixes it well. Now add distilled water to the 400 ml line

Give a quick stir and pour into an empty dark glass spray bottle

Our STS working solution is ready to go…this is enough to turn ~50 plants in the next 30 days which is way overkill though better than not having enough I suppose. Now when we spray the plant, try to aim for only the nodes… I like to pick the little thing up and turn it on its side so I can minimize the over spray

Let it sit out of direct light for 15 minutes then hit it again and return to cabinet with lights out to continue the 12 hr dark period

Thats it until next spray day in 5 days though I won’t make you wait that long…we’ll peek back in after a couple days to see the extent of the leaf damage from this spray :wink:

19 Likes

LOL. I love the spatula.

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Mississippi Mud containers for solution holders ? Love it and that type of beer also! LOL

4 Likes

ok, so i didnt know what ‘mississippi mud’ was until i googled it and now i need it in my life. fortunately theres a beer store local that sells it.

really interested in STS. CS looks like too much damn work, im in my garden every 3 days or so.

4 Likes

It has seen better days…most of my kitchen utensils have. I plan on replacing them after the youngest learns how to use them without them melting though still trying to teach the older son to cook on a lower temp

Yup! Nice and dark glass so the boys stay out of them plus its yummy…mom’s special treat though I have been known to buy alcohol just for the cool bottles like this one :stuck_out_tongue:

CS is said to be safer though something about electricity being so close to water scares me so when I tried it, I went with the premade silver. After 6 months and several clones later I tried STS and haven’t looked back since especially after learning the horticultural world prefers it to delay flowering for shipping

10 Likes

As promised here is an update before the next spray day…

Looking good though she is being stubborn to turn

Seeing the 2 pistils on one branch and not the other tells me to reduce spraying to every 3 days instead of 5 making today the next spray day. Hopefully on Friday, we’ll see those pistils shriveled though she may just be one of those that takes 4-5 wks to turn having strong female genetics

13 Likes

The beginning of balls or wishful thinking?

We should know in the next week as tomorrow is another spray day :stuck_out_tongue:

17 Likes

Hey @MomOnTheRun that box is really looking professional and clean and neat, I wish you max success and I am sure you will have it! :heart:

I will follow you :slight_smile:
Blessed be… I like the name of the strain: Lamb of God :wink:

JOY!!! RA

4 Likes

Hard to tell at this point I do believe you have a plant that is metamorphic at this state keeping fingers crossed for ya! Looking good @MomOnTheRun!

4 Likes

Thanks! Its a work in progress as my confidence builds in such a small space, so will upgrades :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats what I am hoping for…i’ll look again tomorrow before I spray (((fingers crossed)))

4 Likes