Moving Bed Bio-Film Reactor (MBBR) to replace Hydroton/Coco/Lava

It’s worse than that!

Well i got an idea of what to do with all that plastic. The power of one is to do something, help me save the world man. Let’s all grow in plastic.

Never have to buy media again, no nute waste at all which means 100% efficiency in feeding and we are leaving the world a better place after we die. You know.

1 Like

I do think you’d be happier with hempy. Than fighting ph flux in a small rez and emptying your rez will be a pita bc it’s all one. Also hempy you dont have to worry about temps.

1 Like

The whole purpose is to use hempys, yes man! From the get go i said in hempys otherwise it doesn’t work.

Did you go check out my hempy grow @Skiball?

Let’s see how you fare. No harm in trying.

Many of already grow in plastic containers.

I wonder how many grows you can get out of a bucket of plastic.

New world, huh?

You know what i mean right?

To use plastic not only for the container but also as a growing media. Right? @99PerCent

1 Like

The coco cup? I did a lit bit I’ll check it better 4sure bud.

1 Like

Yup, I saw what it is that you propose.

Franken Buds on the way!

99%

2 Likes

Someone’s had one too many joints for the day… HAHAHAHA!

HppHrvst

1 Like

Did I miss something? Is there a shortage of dirt that I’m not aware of?

2 Likes

No shortage of dirt, but soil is definitely getting destroyed by current agriculture practices. Fuck the whales, save the microbes!

@MadScientist,
Those bioreactor thingies may work for you. They are designed to maximize surface area, so they will definitely work. You said they are made with virgin materials, no recycling there though. Keep using your smart pots, those are made from recycled water bottles.

2 Likes

It reminds me a lot of Mapito in a longer-term format, if their claim that it can last up to twenty years holds up. Are you familiar with Mapito?
I’m rooting for ya if you do attempt it @MadScientist make sure to keep us updated.

1 Like

How about this then… Bio Balls.

Or thses?

2 Likes

Buying plastic causes manufacturers to produce more.

I think I would only go in this direction if it were 100% recycled material already.

99%

4 Likes

And recycling plastic is usually considered “downcyling”. Meaning the recycled plastic is of lower grade than the original.

1 Like

Show em how its done mad man! Save the :earth_americas:

1 Like

So i been looking at designs of bio balls all day and i really feel the pin version will work best. Here’s the two that caught my eye.
https://m.alibaba.com/product/513507123/Needel-like-bio-ball-for-the.html?spm=a2706.7835515.1998800312.22.2bcf3a14Sw5284

The flex pvc version is bigger so you won’t get as much surface area. Yet alibaba is always a crap shoot with untested product/company. Still say it’s a great idea im prob going to use them eventually for edd n flow. There is one pin design that’s cheaper but the quality sucks. If you do find a good version cheaper let me know.
Edit found cheaper. https://www.bigalspets.com/amiracle-bio-balls-300-pk.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp8396&sc_intid=8396&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwKvTBRC2ARIsAL0Dgk38kdr8IL4Z8df37kIopV68CpVFsPlgT9u1ALma7vzUB3OUsmOm6IEaAvMfEALw_wcB
Edit2
So think I found what I’m going with
https://m.alibaba.com/product/1845973744/22mm-PP-plastic-bio-ball.html?spm=a2706.7843299.1998817009.18.Rj5OZt
Another company has them listed 1bag for 50$ with 8000 pcs. ill need at least 3 bags but might do 5 bc there’s probably a price break. I feel these will hold up better over time compared to the pin style but not hold as much water.

2 Likes

only if its recycled and not just made plastic…
and since I’m here… does it have any weight…can’t tell if their all the way like hollow…roots around only or through… hmmmmm. i think fat plastic jacks would be better or helpful in conjunction with something…

1 Like

Doesnt virgin plastic leach a load of chemicals.
Why not use coco coir?

2 Likes