Mumen Ryder's Mini Tents

How long do you cure before sealing and freezing? How long does it last in the freezer?

I might just have to do this.

1 Like

Lol my cupboard is full of jars too… I’ve literally taken over an entire cupboard. The gf isnt as impressed as I am. I have some pineapple chunk that’s been in a jar for a year and it smells/tastes amazing!

6 Likes

I’ve in the past used food sealer brand but they don’t last long if you over work them the heat element ends up burning out . A commercial brand from cabbalas or a sporting store is a better investment in the long run if you plant on using it lots plus the option of a stop button on the vacuum sealer a must to prevent over squishing them into a solid lump .
As far as storage times I’m sure a couple years isn’t out to lunch I’ve had a year in storage and you’d swear it was fresh that week.

2 Likes

Lol yeah…The wife actually doesn’t mind so I’m lucky in that regard. Some of my stuff been curing a year does smell great. Just smelled some Dinafem purples and it’s possible they have actually gotten better. Pineapple chunk sounds frickin awesome…

I’m definitely accumulating jars though…

Probably I just need to get pressing since I seem to be able to give that away easily. Seems like no one smokes/vaped flower anymore lol…

2 Likes

I’m tempted to turn most of it into oil too… or edibles

1 Like

Ok so I’m finally backup and running in both tents.

I have been noticing what I thought was light burn the past 4 grows, some worse than others, but this time it was really bad in the tent with the Black Raspberry Kush. Upon further inspection I noticed (and others noticed) that my plants also looked like they had N tox. Which is strange because I monitor run off EC/pH as well as input EC/pH pretty religiously.

If interested I posted an in depth overview here:

I posted on a few forums and got some good ideas but nothing conclusive so I’ve decided to address the 4 more likely problems:

• Too much NH4
  • Too small of rockwool cube
  • Not enough air movement above the canopy
  • Problems with pool shock

Too much NH4
While other people have had success with DynaGro I did notice that they use a lot of NH4 in their nitrogen sources. I’ve seen other people have trouble with Masterblend vs Jacks and consider that the main diff is the NH4 in the source of Nitrogen. I honestly have no idea. I’ve had other people say that NH4 builds up if you use it in hydro where there isn’t a lot of bacteria to break it down, or possibly the ammonia causes issues etc. Either way, best I can tell is that in a sterile system with rockwool it is undesirable. So I’ll be using nutrients which only use NO3 for their nitrogen source.

Too small of rockwool cube
I’ve seen people do amazing things with small root spaces, but generally this is only true of very experienced growers. I found a few posts of people having similar problems to me who also tried to use 4 inch cubes start to finish. I’m going back to full size 6 inch cubes for now. I had to change some things in my grow space to get this going, but it’s all working now.

Not enough air movement above the canopy
The problem appears mainly on the top of the plant while the bottom looks fine. This made me think light burn, but also I stopped using circulation fans in my 2x2 because I’d seen other people get away with it. Someone suggested the tops of the plants may be pulling in a ton of water and also then nitrogen etc. causing problems. My temps are never above 82 so I honestly don’t know, but I do know that not having a circ fan is unorthodox and so for now I’m putting them back in. I don’t like them because they are known fire hazards, but for now this is the direction I’m going.

Problems with Pool Shock
I use pool shock in my rez, and I noticed others having issues with it. It does a great job of keeping things sterile but overall I’m not sure about it. I have seen many people have luck with good old clorox which is easy to measure so I’ll be going that route.

So here are the four potential solutions I’m implementing:

• NO3 as only Nitrogen source
  • 6 inch rockwool cubes instead of 4
  • 1-2 Small circulation fans above canopy
  • Clorox instead of pool shock

Here are the 4 Sweet Seeds, Sweet Zkittlez I’ll be running with these changes:

Thanks for stopping by, and good luck in your gardens!

10 Likes

General design of experiments suggests only changing a single variable at a time. Otherwise, you wont know which change actually made the difference. I know it’s a slower way to do it, but I would start with one change and go from there.

I would start with the rockwool cubes. 4³ = 64, 6³ = 216 that’s more than 3x the volume for roots.

4 Likes

I did mostly think the same thing, and I do agree but I also tried to only change things I was doing that were unorthodox.

Not using fans, using small cubes, using pool shock are all pretty uncommon.

NH4 is the one I thought was least likely but DynaGro was used in all 4 grows where I had problems (2 of the grows were in small pots of clay pebbles).

Also I’m trying to make my grow more conventional so that if I do have a problem, hopefully it will be more obvious. I’m just not good enough yet to do weird things and get away with it.

I definitely get your point though, and appreciate the input :+1:

3 Likes

In Dutch, we have a saying: Mustard after the meal - it came to mind…

Your system looks good Mumen, hope you get some healthy looking leaves fast.

1 Like

Been making some Rosin from the C99s and used some to make gummies. Took a few shots in the process:

The result of this press ended up shaped like a large cut gem, and was pretty solid in consistency. It was hard to photograph, but I tried to tweak the light levels so the shape/consistency could actually be seen:

I tried to use the gummies recipe from growweedeasy, and what a nightmare that was… Holy smokes I will never follow their recipies again. Wayyyyy too much gelatin. I had to throw out everything and honestly thought about throwing out all the kitchen ware that was used in the process because it was so ireprepribly gunked up… Took me an hour of scrubbing the bejesus out of everything in nuclear hot water to get it clean again.

Instead I followed this recipe:

Only thing I did different was throw a shot of grain alcohol into the sauce pan at the beginning. Then I dissolved the rosin into that and put the juice in once the rosin fully dissolved. It would be easier to start with tincture, but it would probably taste a lot more planty. I could possibly just start with the rosin in the pan but I’m not sure it would distribute evenly across the gummies.

These should be very mild, and I’ll tweak the recipe from there. They taste pretty good, but there is still surprisingly that hash oil aftertaste even with only a little rosin. Each gummies has about 2mg of rosin so probably 1-1.5mg of thc.

I’m probably gonna keep experimenting with these until I send myself into pure existential dread for several hours.

12 Likes

That looks delicious. I’ve had a gummy recipe fail on me too.

All the best.

2 Likes

It was pretty infuriating lol… Consistency was like the worlds stickiest fruit roll up. Maybe it’s because I’m on a gas stove, but medium-low was burning the mix badly and low was allowing it to harden and stick to everything…

I’d say when in doubt use more juice and less gelatin. Might have to keep the gummies in the fridge this way but that’s ok for me. :+1:

3 Likes

That’s a sweet pile of candy lol

3 Likes

Mister Mumem, have you seen this thread?

This guy has to be the king of ‘spatially challenged growing’ as I believe you once called it.

1 Like

They’re so cute!

1 Like

But vacuum packing smashes the shit out of it

1 Like

For some reason that link is to a review for a bottle of whiskey lol :smile:

2 Likes

On the higher end machines you can shut the vacuum off before the buds get compressed then seal . On the machines that don’t have the shut off bagging in a ziplock leaving some air cushion in the bag also prevents the buds from squishing ( not ideal but does work) also if you bag 2 half pounds in separate ziplocks then in the same vacuum seal bag leaving the air cushion also helps.

1 Like

Hah well shit, wrong link… Although that is also worth a read.
Bourbon that gets matured on ships, travelling the world…

Anyway, this is the link I wanted to paste.

1 Like

Haha all good. I used to enjoy some Bourbons and Whiskeys. I get sick real easy off anything harder than beer nowadays… I guess I got old or something :sweat_smile:

I have read through a lot of that thread, it’s a great read. Definitely a few people on this site cramming the bejeebies out of their space, it’s a great resource. Growing in tiny pots and spaces has unique challenges so it’s great to be able to see how other people handle it. Compared to Palindrome and Mr. Sparkle, my space is huge…They are also super handy with all the DIY…

I used to grow in tiny cabinets when I was in an illegal state. I told myself if I ever got out I’d grow in a tent and stop dealing with that LOL… Out of habit though I continue to cram as many plants as I can handle…

My other tent is going to be the most crammed it’s ever been once I get it running again here in a week or two… Not sure how that will go, but it will be fun to try :joy:

1 Like