Mumen Ryder's Mini Tents

Mister Mumem, have you seen this thread?

This guy has to be the king of ‘spatially challenged growing’ as I believe you once called it.

1 Like

They’re so cute!

1 Like

But vacuum packing smashes the shit out of it

1 Like

For some reason that link is to a review for a bottle of whiskey lol :smile:

2 Likes

On the higher end machines you can shut the vacuum off before the buds get compressed then seal . On the machines that don’t have the shut off bagging in a ziplock leaving some air cushion in the bag also prevents the buds from squishing ( not ideal but does work) also if you bag 2 half pounds in separate ziplocks then in the same vacuum seal bag leaving the air cushion also helps.

1 Like

Hah well shit, wrong link… Although that is also worth a read.
Bourbon that gets matured on ships, travelling the world…

Anyway, this is the link I wanted to paste.

1 Like

Haha all good. I used to enjoy some Bourbons and Whiskeys. I get sick real easy off anything harder than beer nowadays… I guess I got old or something :sweat_smile:

I have read through a lot of that thread, it’s a great read. Definitely a few people on this site cramming the bejeebies out of their space, it’s a great resource. Growing in tiny pots and spaces has unique challenges so it’s great to be able to see how other people handle it. Compared to Palindrome and Mr. Sparkle, my space is huge…They are also super handy with all the DIY…

I used to grow in tiny cabinets when I was in an illegal state. I told myself if I ever got out I’d grow in a tent and stop dealing with that LOL… Out of habit though I continue to cram as many plants as I can handle…

My other tent is going to be the most crammed it’s ever been once I get it running again here in a week or two… Not sure how that will go, but it will be fun to try :joy:

1 Like

You just have to micro dose… The scotch :wink: tiny little nibbles.
Yeah there are definately some McGuyvers around here, lots to learn from them. I’m gonna go a little DIY project soon - splitting my grow tent into a veg and a bloom section.

Oh man the things I wouldn’t do if it were legal here… Ah well.

Looking forward to seeing your jungle!

1 Like

Fear and Loathing in the Mini Tents

So the Sweet Zkittlez are toast… I threw the last plant away a couple days ago and then cleaned the tent with bleach and soaked all the equipment in bleach/water.

I went through more details in another thread, but basically got stem rot that managed to topple over plants that were a foot tall. After being propped up they wilted heavily and wouldn’t raise their leaves.

I’m really burned out on rockwool right now.

I went to great lengths to follow manufacturer instructions for the 6 inch cubes including measuring how many mililters come out of each dripper per minute, and weighing each cube on a scale before watering but they were definitely overwatered for a few days.

So anyways… Both tents are pretty empty. I’ve got some seeds started and running some tests.

For the past week or so I’ve been running an airstone in 2 gallons of solution and measuring pH, thinking about running the tents as DWC.

One thing that I don’t like about recirculating systems is managing the pH, so I’m trying trying to make sure the nutes I’ll be using are as stable as possible. this isn’t a perfect test without roots in the water, but it should tell me if the products are NOT ph stable.

A grower on another forum journaled for 6 years the same recirculating system using just base nutes + calmag and pK, changing the base nutes every so often.

When I asked him which base nutes he liked best he said Cyco hands down.

I’ve been testing Cyco’s base nutrients in the bucket and they are impressively stable.

For my first test I used just their base nutes and a little Clorox.

In the first 12 hours the pH rose .2 and then remained exactly the same for 5 days…

The next test was the same, except I added a very measly amount of silica at 1ml per gal (5ml per gal is recommended). Silica is notoriously high pH but I do believe it makes plants much more hearty so I wanted to try it…

The pH rose .4 in the first 12 hours an then stabilized and has been the same for 3 days straight. It did take more than double the pH down to get the nutrients to the same pH as the first test. I don’t know if I’ll use the silica. It did stabilize but still took a ton of pH down and definitely raises the pH initially.

Next 2 tests will be UC roots and Hydrogaurd.

I might run one DWC tent sterile with UC roots and the other with Hydrogaurd and see how they compare as far as maintenance and preventing root issues.

Still not sure how this will play out. I have 2 Sweet Seeds Black Jack, and 6 Cannaventure Fruity Pebbles OG ready to go when I figure it out.

Originally these were going to be in an 8 plant SOG in rockwool croutons in my other tent, but my rockwool equipment is in storage for the time being, due to annoying me.

9 Likes

could never get into the rockwool ended up too wet for me most of the time, plus the pH changes and all the waste even if it can “breakdown” over time in a landfill.

Sucks to hear your issues.

1 Like

Sorry about your plants, sucks to lose 'm that far in.

Isn’t PH drift due to uptake of nutrients and the secretion of some stuff by the plant? Haven’t really heard about unstable nute mixes. Have you tested others and found significant drift over time?

1 Like

As far as I understand: you’re right that the interactions between the roots and the solution will affect the pH.

Using tap water can also cause pH to rise because of the buffers in the tap. Some nutrients will be more stable than others because of how/what they use to buffer and how well they overcome the buffers in the tap, even without interacting with the roots.

For the last 6 months or so I’ve used the DynaGro full line, and even when I ran it to waste (sitting in a rez without touching the roots), the pH would rise a full point in a week (5.5-6.5). That’s not bad, but if I was using it in a recirculating system where the plant was also raising the pH, then that could potentially require a lot of pH baby sitting.

1 Like

Well… I landed on DWC for this next grow. I was going to try it with autos about a year ago and bought a bunch of equipment that I never used so here we are.

I haven’t done DWC for a long time so this really could go south. I consider the garden to be 100% back in RnD mode and that’s OK… I have plenty of jars of flowers to allow me time to find that perfect method.

For the sake pH stability, I’m using some nutes that are super stable: The Cyco base nutrients without any of the Cyco additives.

I’m testing 2 things to prevent root rot. In one tent, I’m running Hydrogaurd, and in the other I’m running UC roots.

My temps are right at 70f, not optimal but they are in a “safe” range.

Here is tent 1, running Sweet Seeds Black Jack with Hydrogaurd:

Here is tent 2, running Cannaventure’s Pure Fruity Pebbles OG with UC Roots:

Here is how I setup the air stones in the coolers:

Each cooler holds 6 actual gallons when full, and is using a Danner AP-8 air pump which uses 8 actual watts from the wall spread across 4 stones.

The whole thing is rather compact without the external reservoirs:

Good luck in your gardens!

13 Likes

What a nice set up good luck with your grow. I’ll follow along see how it goes.

2 Likes

Nice and clean👍

1 Like

:seat: :popcorn: :movie_camera:

1 Like

I’m rooting for Team Red!:rose::herb:

1 Like

Thanks for stopping by guys :wink:

It’s absolutely possible I will train wreck this entire thing :joy:

Either way I’ll journal it here and report what I learn.

2 Likes

Nice tidy setup!

1 Like

Rockwool staying way too moist… Freaking me out.

Yesterday morning reduced each cooler to 5 gal. Yesterday evening still way too wet so reduced to 4 gal which is an inch below the bottom of the pot.

This morning still too wet so I reduced the air pumps to 75% power.

I dug out around one side of the wool to allow it to dry out and help guage how wet the hydroton is at the bottom of the cube…

Not liking how wet the rockwool has been for more than a day now… Easy for disease to begin. Hoping the Hydroguard/UC Roots and all the oxygen from the pumps keeps it at bay.

4 Likes