Mumen Ryder's Mini Tents

Hello Overgrow :slight_smile:

I have a couple tents going right now and I would like to try and keep a perpetual log of anything that might be interesting about them here in this thread.

I’ve been changing mediums and methods frequently trying to find the one I like best. Right now I’m running Female Seeds C99 in 4 inch rockwool cubes, run to waste with the floraflex clips and caps.

25 days of veg, and 3 days of flower in a 2x2, it’s pretty full in there…

The rez is external, and I’m using blackout ducting with fabric pots for light proof intake:

I just setup the drippers and am dialing in the drip times:

Meanwhile in my other 2x2 I’m finishing up what will be my last grow in hydroton for a while.

This is a Dinafem Early Amnesia CBD. She is in 1 gallon of hydroton, in a DIY flood and drain system.

This is my third attempt at growing a plant in only a gallon of hydroton, and I’ve noticed that by the middle of flower the plants seem to get irritated with the lack of root space as they shoot roots everywhere they can out of the pot.

There is a 10 gallon rez below a flood chamber. I can access the rez directly which is nice for maintenance etc.

Leaf tacoing and serated edges rising seems to get worse as the roots fill more and more holes in the pots. Lighting is low, humidity is high and temperatures are good so I’m convinced right now that the issue is the small pot of hydroton.

I could use 2 gallons of hydroton, but that stuff is heavy and expensive… Hence why I’m circling back to trying rockwool.

However she should yield well, I took her out today and she is chunky as heck…

She responded well to topping, and I tied her branches down until she was done growing vertical:

In both tents right now I’m using DynaGro nutrients, which are fairly easy to use and don’t require many bottles:

That’s all I’ve got for now… Thanks for stopping by and good luck in your gardens👍

59 Likes

Looking good. I like those Floraflex caps and clips, myself. Actually thinking of putting mine back to use soon.

5 Likes

It’s nice to be able to remove the clips easily if you need to take a plant out, I think they did a great job designing these :+1:

I’m glad to be back in rockwool, my last grow in the cubes was the last time I saw fully healthy plants at harvest lol… Not having much luck in pure hydroton…

Thanks for stopping by Howard :grin:

6 Likes

Cool, really effective and well planned setup, my only doubt: Why mini tents? :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Nice set up! That 2x2 is gonna be a jungle soon. Mines getting out of control lol

3 Likes

For now I’m trying a bunch of different methods so I’m keeping 2 small tents and experimenting with a new method each grow in each tent until I find my way :slight_smile:

I’ve tried a lot of different things and eventually I’ll settle on one, but for now the search continues…

Thanks for stopping by!

I was checking out yesterday I think haha… Most of my best grows were ones where I packed the tents wall to wall. In my experience it’s a bit of work, but pays off :+1: 2x2 is a challenge, glad to see I’m not the only one working in one :grin:

13 Likes

I had a false vision that I could sneak 4 in there and they’d mind their own business… with only 3 in there I’m glad I dont have 4 lol

I’d love to have a large area with room to move, but I guarantee I’d do the exact same thing but with more plants

6 Likes

Lol yep… I do the same… I did a 2.5 x 2.5 foot tent last year and stuffed 8 plants in it… Tons of work, but great harvest of many different strains.

I have yet to regret stuffing my tents to the max… Tent stuffers unite :sunglasses:

28 Likes

I love 2x2 grows it’s where I did alot of my best growing and yours looks fantastic.

Make sure you keep things super sterile and have lots of airflow as I’ve had mold issues in tight spaces like this.

Those drip caps look some cool I’ve been seeing them for years I might even try making my own when I get my new system put together.

What are you running for wattage in each tent?

3 Likes

The caps and clips together are pretty cool… The caps help prevent algae and water channels, and the clips allow you to remove drippers easily so you can take the plant out of the system without much hassle. Floraflex seems to have thought this out pretty well.

I run pretty low wattage… It’s sort of a goal of mine. The amnesia grew most her life under 100 watts of COBs, so only 25 watts per square foot. I’m actually running strips in there at less than 80 watts right now as she is super fussy lately. Not sure what her damage is, thinking she is root bound too intensely because temps, humidity lighting and EC/pH are all looking OK but roots are growing wild out of the pot…

The c99s are under about 60 watts of COBs, but I’m using the dimmer to increase the wattage every day a little more. I’ll probably try to flower them under 80 watts…

4 Likes

I was getting tired of vaccuming out the run off every day in the c99 tent so I decided to try and design something to capture it.

I came up with a solution using an underbed storage and some 18 inch rectangular plant saucers.

I’m spatially challenged so I have to make to scale drawings of everything I’m planning in a small tent like this to make sure it will fit.

I need my plants to sit in the center of each square foot if possible.

Here is what I came up with. Each square is 1 inch:

The blue is the underbed storage, the green is the flora flex and the brown is the saucers.

The black holes are the drains, and one hole is large enough for me to get a shop vaccum in every week or two when needed.

So far so good.

Removed all lower growth and all the tiny branches. Removed some fans for better airflow in the crammed space. 10 days into flower now:

Thanks for stopping by, and good luck in your gardens!

28 Likes

very clean i like it

6 Likes

Looks well planned and well executed :smile:

5 Likes

The fabric pots on the intake is a cool idea. Do they seem to restrict the flow much?

4 Likes

Thanks guys!

The irrigation tubing looks pretty gnarly right now, but I’m still experimenting with a couple things. Once I’m confident in the placement of drippers I’ll cut them down in length so they don’t look so spaghetti everywhere… Other than that I’m happy with it :grin:

They definitely restrict some but not as much as you would think. I do have a way oversized exhaust fan for my space, but temperatures are same even if I close the vents and only use the covered ducts :+1:

3 Likes

So for the last 10 days the Early Amnesia CBD has just been foxtailing so I decided she was ready. 77 days of flower. Trichomes all cloudy but strangely no amber.

Couple shots before she came down:

She had a good reaction to being topped:

Root bound as all heck by the end, I’m actually glad to be done messing with hydroton for a while:

Good size colas and pretty heavy:

Hanging dry with a carbon filter:

Thanks for stopping by, and good luck in your gardens!

15 Likes

Very nice, thanks for sharing

Cheers
G

1 Like

Sweet harvest, nice chunky plant. Hydroton can be annoying, it looks like you dialed it in for that size of pot as much as you could.

The c99s are sweet they really have a distinctive jagged look. I was looking into finding a pure c99 for a while there and female seeds came up several times in my searching, they’re highly praised. Were they feminized?

3 Likes

Thanks man! For sure taking break from pebbles for a while.

The c99s are fems and have a pretty good rep on grow diaries website and was actually recommended to me by a couple people here. Like you said, they seem to be well liked :grin:

I ordered them directly from female seeds, and I put my mixed review of ordering from them here:

https://overgrow.com/t/seed-banks-who-can-we-trust/1921/1440

So far I’m happy with the c99s because they are very uniform. All are about same height within an inch, and have similar structure and spacing which is great in my small space… Hard to find strains sometimes where all the plants are so close in structure, so props to them for that :+1:

4 Likes

Yes that consistency is definitely a good sign that you have something stable there.

Some cool seeds from them there the mimosa and WW crosses should be interesting. They really loaded ya up on the freebies too!

2 Likes