Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc šŸ„

Just as I was thinking of making a Martha inside a closet that I was planning on turning into a clean room then I found this:

Possible ?
Then right next to it I found this:

Two platforms on locking casters that can be connected together with a couple wing nuts to make one big platform.
Score!

7 Likes

I got locked upside down in one of those as a kid :grinning:

3 Likes

Sorry, to hear that.
I donā€™t think youā€™d have a problem if you got locked in these there like Rubbermaid Lockers you could bust out of one these without to many problems, if any

3 Likes

I got locked in a full sized one right side up. Now it doesnā€™t sound so bad.

4 Likes

I bought a Mushroom kit in Vancouver years agoā€¦but after coming up with no more that a few P. Cubensis to show for itā€¦the kit went into storageā€¦ Thats gotta be 20ā€™years agoā€¦

In all honesty I would chalk it up to a Cowboy approachā€¦gung-hoā€¦with little focus on the fine art of growing itselfā€¦I would love to give it another crack at some point.

Thoughts?..Cubensis still the best starting point for someone who took mushrooms Way-y-y back in university?

Thanks
Toast

7 Likes

Yes! Cultivating is so much more accessible these days, and there are so much more methods you can do and still get decent success. Hereā€™s a bunch of links that iā€™ve put together when I started to learn. Thereā€™s a neat new tek called ā€œspiderman tekā€ or ā€œuncle ben tekā€ which involves using bags of uncle benā€™s wholegrain rice. Its pretty neat https://www.reddit.com/r/unclebens/

5 Likes

Thx 7lā€¦

Much appreciated!

Cheers
Toast

2 Likes

The same 2 tubs 5 days later

Top one colonised VERY quickly, and starting to pin. The bottom tub was a write off from the start because of the previous attempt. Strange fruits. Cant tell if its because of the heat as well as the bad genetics.

I have another series on the go to test out soon

Additional transfers for the top tub, and the jars so I can keep them going in the future

7 Likes

Bottom tub are mutant blobsā€¦ Still very good fruits I promise lol sometimes monotubs will throw weird fruits first flush but second flush will clear up

4 Likes

yeah im not too bothered about that tub. I still have plenty of fruit from my last runs. these are more for testing out the isolations iā€™ve been keeping. The I series is definitely getting binned! III and V are the new top contenders

5 Likes

Iā€™m a little late to this party but I got sooo hyped when I saw this thread. Looking to get a grow goin soonšŸ˜Ž

6 Likes

Yea, been trying to keep it alive since Leaven has been away, Iā€™ve always said Iā€™m better at fungus than growing weed lol

Itā€™s a nice thread to have around for a little mixture of fun with the rest of the things that are going on

8 Likes

go for it! Iā€™ve been posting my shroom grow in my workshop since I started. thereā€™s a bunch of info that might help you get started

8 Likes

Agreed. :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Very cool 7ā€¦
A continued thx for sharing.
:+1:

5 Likes

Oysters Mushrooms is what I heard everyone uses to cut their teeth on.
Because, itā€™s such an aggressive fungus.
But, I think Cubeā€™s were next on the list.

5 Likes

Itā€™s on now boys

8 Likes

Cambodian gold

Do I keep the millet in the dark now til mycelium colonizes?

3 Likes

yeah put it in a nice dark and warm place. an airing cupboard is great. With a syringe you should see growth after a couple weeks. make sure to shake the bag good when you inoculate, and donā€™t use the entire syringe! youā€™ll definitely want to save a bit for another attempt :wink:

6 Likes

You can but there is no difference in dark or light colonizationā€¦ Key is to keep them cool thoughā€¦ Roundabout way of saying your choice, makes no real difference, like soak and paper towel vs direct sowing with beansā€¦

And donā€™t shake when you innoculate, reason being spores themselves are singular beings that need to reach out and grab a similar spore to be able to continue to grow, shaking after innoculation mixes them around from each other and makes it harder to find a compatible spore (again, you can do it, but it will take longer to search for compatible spores)

Spore your bag near the edges of the oats, wait til 25%ish of the visible grain is colonizedā€¦ Then breakup the colonized bits and mix them through the rest of the bag as evenly as it could be, after that you are on a 2 week homestretch to full colonizationā€¦ Then tray it and case it or monotub it and case itā€¦

But definitely on your way today! Iā€™m not trying to sound like Iā€™m barking orders lol

Iā€™m just waiting on fruiting pics lol

10 Likes