Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

All you have to do to reproduce spores is have a successful grow than make Spore Prints.
There are a few spawning methods Liquid Culture, Agar, Cardboard & Grain to Grain Transferring.

3 Likes

I got a Culture question.
All the recipes for Culture (Agar) that I’ve collected that require Malt Extract (LME & ELME).
But, I know of a lot of people who can’t make those types of Culture because they only have access to regular ME (Malt Extract) and are afraid that it will be to strong.
So, the question is:
Is there any type of adjustments that need to be taken in order to use regular Malt Extract or is it not possible to use?

2 Likes

Good luck! BRF or uncle ben’s tek are the best to start with. If you do BRF, don’t do PF Tek (with a shotgun fruiting chamber) but instead spawn to bulk as that’s what you’ll end up doing if you decide to go bigger.

Dont worry about agar, liquid cultures, making own spores yet. focus on learning the basics of growing from a syringe, proper sterile technique, and all the different terminologies before you go deep into learning agar or making your own prints. Syringes are pretty cheep and you dont need to use the whole thing in one go

4 Likes

You dont have to make LME agar, there are tons of other recipes. Dog food, brown rice flour, grain water, etc.

Grain agar is good, literally just soak some rye grain in water and then use that water with agar agar and a little bit of nutritional yeast

3 Likes

Okay, if you just want someone do do all the work for you & hope your multi spore syringe doesn’t contaminate than yes just keep buying other people’s work.
You don’t have to learn Agar, just don’t get frustrated if you contam out.
That’s just what’s to be expected when you want to do it the lazy way.

2 Likes

Starting off with a syringe is perfectly fine. There are plenty of reputable suppliers that wont result in contam. I dont recommend agar straight away because it requires a lot of time and monetary investment.

Unnecessary.

Feel free to check out my grow thread I went through the exact same learning experience. Its important not to try too much at once and overwhelm yourself and cause issues when there doesn’t need to be any. No one (or atleast most people) dont go straight into cloning/cuttings before they’ve harvested their first bud or bred their own seeds

7 Likes

The agar is just to make sure your spore syringe doesn’t have contamination. Just an extra precaution. But also with that agar you can go to grains or liquid culture so it expands your spores you do have.

4 Likes

Im careful and haven’t had any contamination yet. I don’t go overboard with still air chambers and all that but I definitely go through my fair share of gloves and iso. I’m sure you are going to do fine. Once I saw how easy it is to get ounces of dried mushrooms, I was kicking myself over how much I’ve spent buying them.

4 Likes

What maybe $20 to make a simple Potato Dextrose or Oatmeal, if that much.
The most costly thing would be a PC.
I’m disabled and on a severely fixed income and I was able to get everything (Except the PC.) without having to save.

2 Likes

Like I said if you want to do it the lazy way & not put the work in, then it is what it is.
Culture (Agar)is easy to make just takes a little time (My first Culture control is still contam free and it’s been a few months.) to make the longest part is waiting for the PC to cool down.
Nothing a day of studying can’t solve don’t let it discourage you it’s not as hard as it seems.
And once you’ve did a batch the next one gets easier.
You’ll be glad that you’ve equipped yourself with that knowledge in the long run.
Especially, with Tissue Culture (Which is an Agar)craze that is starting to hit the Cannabis industry.

3 Likes

Take cap after veil breaks, place on aluminum foil, cover. Wait overnight, remove cover, pull cap off and you have made a spore print to back up genetics

Also, buy premade agar plates. Plenty of places to purchase from and plenty of types available (pda, lme, carbon, plates with antibiotics). Tipofthecapmushrooms is a good place to start. Very knowledgeable regarding agar. Have used him to make agar plates for other hobbies and have not had any issues

4 Likes

I’ve seen them before and had though of using them. Glad to hear you’ve had good success with them. Their Liquid culture is a good price also!

1 Like

Is ralphsters spores and the shroomery still around?

2 Likes

The shroomery yes, not sure about ralphsters though… Haven’t used them in a few years and I’m not current on shroomery like I used to be

1 Like

Have a buddy using his carbon plates. APE and BMR are throwing ropes like I haven’t seen before. Not to be THAT person, but why not make your own lc? Time I’d presume?

2 Likes

I was talking about the varieties like pink oysters and cordyceps, I usually see them for $15. I just made my first LC of karo and water. I still need to test it out on some grains. I started a lot of jars with agar so I’m trying to G2G all of them first before they pin in the jars.

What’s the BMR?

Have you had the APE’s? Are they noticeably more potent. I’m growing Golden Teachers.

2 Likes

The apes i have bought on the black market were noticeably more potent then other variety i have bought.

2 Likes

I may have get some of those to grow.

The nice thing about growing your own is you just eat more! I’ve gotten up to 5g. My buddy ate 10g as we played disc golf Sunday. I couldn’t stop laughing and he seemed normal.

2 Likes

Thats crazy. 10 grams? Holy shit. Lol

2 Likes

Y’all are giving me the itch for a blast off. Been waaayyyy too long

2 Likes