Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄

Today I need to do a case of BRF cakes [pint] to test some live Shiitake mycelium I miked from a jar thats been stored cold for 6 months. I need to do a case of oats [quart] for grain to grain transfer. I need to pasteurize some hpoo sub for a few of my bags and get the damn auto built so all my fruiting cakes can go in…tired of misting and fanning so many small tubs…the big mono of Burma is getting there and I’m gonna spawn PE to sub in the second mono today… I have not gotten around to getting test tubes and getting my keepers to slants. With the new room in the works and the reconditioning of the LFB , I’m gonna get very serious about mycology work going forward…just lots of moving stuff in the house to commit one whole room to a lab / grow room for my medicine. Hopefully i can get my mushrooms in the hands of a few local chefs and develop my business…all the surgeries this year has slowed my plan. :peace:

7 Likes

This might be a newb question but if some of your methods look substantially more productive than others why continue to use multiple methods? Again. Newb.

4 Likes

Thats a fair question. Since I’m the sole consumer of my medicine, I have always just used a small shelf or a random space…mushrooms are not too picky. Over the years I just use what I have on hand to grow them with so, if brown rice is on sale and I get a few bags I will do BRF based cakes or use them to spawn to subs…really depends on what I have on hand at the time and what space I’m using atm. Besides the variety keeps it interesting and fun.

Now that I’m dedicating a room to mycology and production of gourmets, I will settle on a method for the commercial grow and stick with it…but for the medicinal, I’ll prolly always just grow like i have been over the last 20 years or so…

6 Likes

Makes complete sense. Thanks for helping me understand.

2 Likes

I have not documented an auto fruiting chamber, and I needed to build one for the new mushroom so finally got a chance to build one today Its and indoor green house with a humdistat controlling a humidifier and a fan…just toss your mycelium in there when its ready to fruit and let her rip…no fanning or misting required. I have worn out a few controllers myself.

14 Likes

Magic :mushroom: :mushroom:

:thumbsup:

3 Likes

Good morning, had a mini tub come off this am, good to see fresh meds again.

11 Likes

Well the med room is mostly set, now its organizing and getting some extra stuff out and placed into another room. This will make a wonderful space to produce my own meds for PTSD / Depression. Best meds I have found to control it.

Saw that the mono tub was ready to fruit. Its neat to see all the meds being made this run, all organized and in one place. A few runs like this a year now should provide all my personal meds. :peace:

10 Likes

Late start to the season here, I haven’t even found any libs or Ps. quebecensis yet FFS.
On the plus side, the pin I rescued from an old neglected PE6 plate has come alive, should be ready for a transfer in another day or 2…

6 Likes

Today I needed to get the rest of the mycology work done so I finished up and brewed up 7.4 grams I’m about to dose now.

:peace:

9 Likes

Kraven, can you tell me more about the drinks you make with your mushies…

3 Likes

After that last post, I’m guessing he just went to bed. :joy: post 362 in this thread shows his recipe though
Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄

@IntergalacticCat

2 Likes

I generally make a tea and it follows this basic guideline 1cup of water per quarter oz of dried shrooms. I either take my mortar / pestle of a coffee grinder and grind to a powder or close. [If I’m drinking the mushies I will grind to a powder, if not its more like finely chopped as above. You need to boil the water for 5 minutes at a hard boil to get most of the O2 out, then once the water has stopped boiling pour into a mason jar with a lid with the ground up shroomies. I let that sit closed until it cools on its own [it forms a vacuum], giving it a slight swirl every 10-15 minutes [ it takes about an hour]. once cool pour through a strainer to get the liquid separate from the solid, then let that drain a bit, …now this is the secret nobody tells you…put the left over mush into a t shirt and squeeze the shit out of it until you have a dry ball of mushrooms and all the last bit of water out and into your tea…this is where the goodies are_…then mix that with a tablespoon of some type of citric acid…OJ / Lemon or my favorite is to get country time lemonade [dry mix] and just make a glass of lemonade with it and you dont taste the mushrooms and the citric acid will bring about a more sudden onset and a shorter duration…makes the journey 4-5 hours instead of 6-8 and its far more intense imho. Onset is usually 10-15 minutes.

Naw I was out in the yard till after 3am, what a wonderful journey it was…in the safety of my fenced in back yard on a star lit dark night with my cats, we had a blast, plenty of exploration and a few giggles were had :mushroom:

12 Likes

Sun rise would be right around now in your neck of the woods? Must be beautiful, huh? :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Finally the first fruits of 2018, no libs yet, just a few Psilocybe quebecensis.

Couple in the bush…

This is a fish tote I prepped the year before last and dug up some wild Ps. quebecensis mycelium laden wood and added it to the mix.
Last year I had about a dozen fruits. I counted 5 this morning.
I added some more wood in the off season and a layer off eel grass.

10 Likes

Thats awesome, I have never tried any quebec’s…I love wavy caps but find wood lovers do something to paralyze me for a bit when tripping and that is uncomfortable to me, Thats a potent cube right there fosure :mushroom:

4 Likes

That

is a heroic dose, sir.

5 Likes

Thanks canna, its my meds…if you take enough to get to ego death, then you can get some good personal work done, not for the faint of heart fosure, but best thing ever for my combat related PTSD…the peace it brings about for weeks after if a huge plus too. Good meds fosure.

7 Likes

Just about got the Mush Room set up for Shiitake / Lions Mane / King Oyster now, got the laminar flow bench up and tested, made the last shelves for the large mono’s, auto fruiting chamber loaded and fruiting, big mono had huge pin set and is fruiting, PE in the other large mono looking great, they are colonizing quickly…so are the medium trays and bags. The BRF cakes are still not showing any signs of life, but it has only been three days lol…Only thing left to do now is clean up / organize and remove all the crap that doesn’t belong in here and it will be a complete lab for gourmet mushrooms.

:peace:

11 Likes
4 Likes