Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄

Penis Envy came off the sub yesterday…First flush with a few blobs

9 Likes

theres what I’ve been missing!

if you can manage spores outta them (I know, I know) you should remember me

3 Likes

I have two fresh swabs I took yesterday and 2 mono culture’s on plates, you want a swab shoot me an addy…they were stingy but theres enough good genetics there and a little agar work and your golden? lmk

6 Likes

Dear god those look tasty…

2 Likes

look what I found in the move… Red boy print from 2011

5 Likes

sweet it should be good to go, always neat to find them hidden treasures :mushroom:

2 Likes

Mushroom just plugging along nicely…got the PE to a mono. Meds are working well.

11 Likes
4 Likes

I saw the article a couple days ago…impressive!

1 Like

Today’s thought -

The thinking that got us to where we are is not the thinking that will get us to where we want to be.

9 Likes

surely you’ve heard Stoned Ape Theory… do you think, in terms of evolutionary process, that p. cubensis and similar species of fungi played a critical role in evolution of man, to the degree of hyper-awareness causing an evolutionary leap over centuries instead of millenia?

I feel like an in-depth chat today lol

7 Likes
7 Likes

I love this video because he talks to the man himself… next to John Allen, the Stamets brothers have made leaps and bounds in the advancement of fungi and its medicinal properties, also about the fungal networks we don’t see…

that’s why mycology has always interested me… something that hasn’t had the need to evolve in hundreds of millions of years… gotta be doing something right

5 Likes

That first video was Joe Rogan talking to Michael Pollan, the legendary science journalist and author who recently published a book about the potential medicinal benefits of hallucinogens.

The video below is the one where Joe talks to Paul Stamets regarding the Stoned Ape hypothesis (starting at the 23:35 mark):

7 Likes

I concur on the stoned ape, thats how we found fermentation which leads to random test bites of thing…over millions of years yes this I believe is the “missing” link

5 Likes

I want me some mushrooms. That sounds mighty good. Can’t wait to visit. Maybe I can help count votes?

:cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

what’s up everybody, I’m a disabled cannabis grower and I’m looking into growing some mushrooms as an additional source of medication. I’ve been following along with this thread for a while, and I think I’m developing a basic understanding of this process. Would you guys mind letting me know if I’m on the right track?
as I understand it,
one of the most important factors is sterilization of the containers and growth medium, to ensure that random fungal or bacterial growth won’t occur and taint the grow.
the things necessary for a grow are
A. a pure, verified mushroom culture
B. substrate/ growth medium, usually grains
C. a container for the mycorrhizae to colonize
D. a container for the mushrooms to fruit

Are there any lighting period requirements, or is this something I would be able to do on my kitchen counter?
How do you sterilize the grains?
I’m still not sure whether I would actually be able to manage mushroom growing physically. It seems like a lot of these steps involving sterilization and inoculation are time sensitive, and I’m not sure I would be able to complete them without stopping to rest. For now I’ll just continue to research, learn, and try to figure out the most simplistic/minimalist method possible.

On breedbay a member in the PNW inoculated a pile of wood in his backyard in spring and harvested ‘wood lovers’ outdoors in fall. I love outdoor growing and this idea is really appealing, but I don’t think this would be a good option because wild mushrooms could grow there too, and I’m no expert at identification.

Hopefully this isn’t too much a distraction from the thread. Have a good one, and keep up the awesome work guys.

8 Likes

Hey @zephyr what’s happening?

I used to grow mushrooms many years ago. It’s easy. I grew straferious cubensis which is an interesting strain as it is an anaerobic Amazonian strain that goes dormant in the absence of oxygen which means it could have come in on an asteroid.

The mycelium culture was purchased from a lab in south Texas growing on ergot in a slant tube (in 1979).

All you need is a good pressure cooker (to sterilize the jars and rye grain) and quart size canning jars. I bought the natural rye grain from a health food store.

To inoculate the jars spray lysol all over and use a lighter to sterilize a metal poker to quickly when cooled to poke the mycelium and transfer small amount into a sterilized jar of rye grain. Best if you have two people there with you so one can open the slant tube and the other can open (and close quickly) the mason jar.

Once the mycelium (white hairy stuff) permeates the jar of rye grain (when solid white…can eat the mycelium with honey not bad…pinch to see if it turns purple) then place about 2" of soil on top of the mycelium permeated rye grain right in the jar. After soil I put just reg sandwich baggies over the jars and misted daily. Best mushroom I grew was over an ounce fresh.

I kept my jars in a large aquarium with shop lights on top. Once the mycelium grows up through the soil you will begin to see a cluster of mushrooms. The next morning expect to likely harvest some. If twist off careful the other smaller ones in cluster will grow out the next night.

The hard part is gonna keep from getting infected with yeast and aspergillus molds. Aspergillus is the green mold usually seen on bread and oranges. Yeast is a clear/yellowish slime mold.

Some of my best mushrooms came from infected jars. If the mycelium is far enough along before contamination sets in then the mycelium will fight the infection making the shrooms stronger. Just have to watch and keep an eye out for progression of contamination. The darker purple the mushroom turns when pinched (and faster) the stronger it is.

Another problem is marijuana is covered in aspergillus so hard to grow marijuana and shrooms in same vicinity (had been told this but unsure of myself as haven’t tried both at same time).

On average I lost half my jars to contamination before soil so plan on a bunch of jars. I can’t remember the light schedule I used (12/12 after soil?). The mycelium in nature is underground so I think no light until jar is permeated.

Funny, even going back to ancient man archeologists found leather bags with substances that had hallucinogenic properties in them (can see in museums). So even ancient man knew of the benefits of these things! I think someday I would like to grow shrooms again.

My info is 40 years old so likely much has changed since I grew but hope this helps as not very hard to grow and you likely would enjoy it.

Edit: was looking for your grow thread zephyr and saw you asked like 4 days ago with no response here so thought I’d help. Looks like it’s Petr dishes instead of slant tubes but basically the same operation.

The shroom growers in this thread way ahead of me though man!

7 Likes

Thanks Bez, this info is a great place to start. that’s just the sort of clarifications I needed, and it gives me an idea of the scope of the process in a simple grow.

4 Likes

this is my simple pf-tek cake method… and further on, I explain bulk techniques a little bit

8 Likes