Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1)

amazing, checking the videos already - thank youÂĄ

5 Likes

If starting with spore, especially if you’re not testing them on agar for contamination first, PF tek really is the most forgiving as far as contamination goes. You don’t break up the “puck” of brown rice flour like you would with grains. So any contamination isn’t spread and the mushroom mycelium can grow and get you a few fruits. Ideally, if you want to continue growing, by then you got some basic gear like still air box and agar (order pre made or make “no pour” agar). That way you can clone a desired mushroom and you can use that to grow much more and put it to grains.
Spore works is known to have consistently clean spore syringes, or find a buddy (or trusted vendor on IG :sweat_smile:) to get some liquid culture so you can just inject directly and not deal with spores. Putting untested spores to grains is a risky and can waste some time/recourse. The rice bags big downfall (past user error) is you can’t see most of the colonizing. So if it’s growing mold m, you won’t know unless it’s against the bottom of the bag or until you open the top :scream:

8 Likes

Picked the first three from this rice bag shoebox.

11 Likes

Those look good.

Seems like a pretty interesting variety, too.

8 Likes

@Howard.Crane
Looks like you got some wood ears there
Auricularia auricula - judae
Common edible fungus commonly grows off rotten woody material.

2 Likes

It’s the same Z strain culture that I grew the first time, this time it’s just one box made from two 90sec rice bags. I know they most likely had bacterial contamination, but still colonized and produced fruit.

2 Likes

Oh, those look more like “cup mushrooms” instead of wood ear.

2 Likes

Oh, that looks right according to image search, thanks!

I’m trying to find info on them, but “cup mushrooms” is apparently an umbrella term
 :wink:

My primary questions are whether they are toxic, and whether they’ll out compete more desirable fungi.

Does anyone know?

3 Likes

I read that one that looks close to yours is edible but only if cooked well. But no idea if they’re the same as yours.

3 Likes

Huh. That’s kinda cool, but I’m not that adventurous.

For now I guess I’ll discard any cubes that grow in contact with that stuff just to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Oh you don’t have to worry about cross contamination.

2 Likes

Damn! That’s a harvest! Great job

3 Likes

Newb? Haha, newb no longer I would say! At least a journeyman level with that harvest!

I hope you recover soon! :peace_symbol:

4 Likes

I had a couple syringes of P. Amazonia down in a box in my basement for
 at least 3 years.
Didn’t think they’d still be viable. But for kicks I mixed up 6 little jars for PFTek, and gave them a go.
All 6 jars are colonizing!!
đŸ„č

10 Likes

One of those bags is actually pinning, lol :laughing:

11 Likes

Making me wanna cultivate some spores!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

4 Likes

So a while back(ok closer to like 2 years give or take) I was given a spore print and kept meaning to make up a couple spore syringes but forgot until recently when I stumbled across the spore print. Would there be a chance its still viable and worth trying or should I consider it a no go?

4 Likes

Not speaking from first hand knowledge but from everything I’ve read you should be fine. I believe spore prints last much longer than that.

Certainly worth giving it a go, imo.

3 Likes

If you got it from me it’s still viable. I’m still using the prints I made when I did the giveaway. I need to scrape some onto Agar tonight.

5 Likes