Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Mushrooms - DIY, spores, etc 🍄 (Part 1) - #5066 by GrowTheAtlas.

Previous discussions:

9 Likes

Welcome to part 2!!! Let the convo pick up where it left off

11 Likes

16 Likes

Gandalf flush #3 progress report

14 Likes

Hey I’m pretty new to mycology, I’ve been running p.cubes with more success than I expected for a little while now. I haven’t branched out to other mushrooms but the great @MushroomManMycology sent some bioluminescent bitter oysters, so obviously I have to run these, can anyone point me to a basic tek or how to video/article/etc… to get these started? I tried doin some reading and its all over the place or trying to sell me inoculated spawn bags, just a direction would be nice

6 Likes

These GT are impressive to me!

13 Likes

@hooddirt shroomery.org has lots of good info but for gourmet (no psychoactive) mushies there is a lot of info all over.
John Allen

14 Likes

Glad this topic is still going as when I saw the other closed …learned about the 5k comment close feature for topics…I was bummed. I have 2 bags of apes about to be pitched and big bag of ATLs going since November. Need to work on taking pics as I believe my OG account trust level is finally there. Any recommendations on a PC. At first was going to go cheap but then started thinking go for the long haul…you know gasketless thicker more expensive etc

4 Likes

I like the gasket myself easy to change and cheap. I’m not sure how gasketless work.

3 Likes

OK cool I appreciate your feedback and may just go that route so I can get one quicker

3 Likes

That’s a nice mushroom cap on the front edge.

Update: My mushrooms mostly fruited healthy but not huge, good coverage mostly clean, trashed a little cotton mold in one shoebox on the first flush I’m learning a lot - too much to write and get it. I ate one dried golden teacher and it made me have auditory changes in music and space of perception - was awesome. I am making honey for fun and preservation with the small fruits and I will save the nice fruits dried and sealed away in case someone needs to shake their brain out and get back on the path. Definite natural medicine if used right.

My monotub with ban thua Hanon was my favorite for practicality so I took sporeprints and so far the flush is really good and clean with good coverage. I will continue to run these. My gold teacher albino are kind of gross looking haha but that’s the one I ate and very nice effect and strong enough for someone with no tolerance. The thai elephant took too long to colonize I got rid of that tub out of impatience and cleanliness. The Texas orange cap are about to pin in two shoeboxes and look really good. I will probably continue to run the Texas orange cap and ban hua thanon for now. The mushrooms are showing me the way. Weird shit.

7 Likes

Sounds fantastic! Def a fun and rewarding hobby. It is funny how you narrow down what you prefer by grow style and of course desired journey. Some say a cube is a cube is a cube but I would disagree. How are you going to do your honey? Thanks for sharing and best of luck in all your projects

5 Likes

For the honey I just read a lot online but I have been taking everything small or crumbly and putting it in small mason jars gradually filling with honey as small mushrooms dry like an assembly line. Not only powder but small chunks As strong as possible for now and I may strain it in a few months when I will test potency. I keep rotating the jar so they don’t ferment as warned online. Also any full jars I use the vacuum seal with mason jar attachment which seems to suspend most mushrooms in the actual honey.

6 Likes

this is my problem lol. One site says use grain another says they love wood another a mix of wood and grain… fucking internet, I’ll keep lookin but if anyone’s got experience with oysters I’d love some tips.
I love the almost star shape of the top cluster in ur 2nd pic btw

6 Likes

Sounds awesome and appreciate the info. Never thought about them fermenting in the honey but wild yeast Mead happens so. Was hoping may work for long term storage as my cup is running over and need better than just mason jars.

3 Likes

Yeah I was going to vacuum pack medium fruits in plastic wrap , large or perfect fruits in jars vacuumed sealed with jar attachment, small crumbly stuff in honey for gifts, and stems in tea bags also for gifts. I guess I need to test everything to figure out potency haha damn… slow and steady

3 Likes

Vacuum sealer sounds like a good investment need to grab one. Def agree be great to figure out good potency ratios for each and dial it in. I pretty much grow apes so all kind of small compared to some stretchers then air dry what I don’t eat right away jar up but starting to collect too many jars. Luckily with the ATLs I’ve found I can freeze the sclerotia with no negative impact to texture or potentency once thawed and I do not even usually fruit those but may if the honey works out

3 Likes

Has anyone ever taken a spore print inside of a 4oz mason jar with a lid with a healable syringe hole. Like leaving mushroom cap inside a small sealed mason jar to drop spores and then filling it with sterile water, mixing it and then sucking it back up in the syringe?

Would it work that way?

3 Likes

Would you use the syringe right away? The bits of mushroom may contaminate but I have not would like to hear your results if you rock it

3 Likes

Not sure. I will try it. I could use the syringe to agar also. And try that. Or do some to the popcorn spawn and some to agar.

3 Likes