My buds have no flavor

Last 2 grows went well, neither harvest has a great flavor throughout. I used megacrop the whole way through. What’s the problem? Any suggestions?

5 Likes

My thoughts on possibilities.
-Improper drying
-harvested too early
-improper curing
-mostly monoterpenes which are more volatile than sesphaterpenes so they don’t stick around very long

15 Likes

Try to make a tincture or oil from some if you can. If you can turn it into oil even if it’s a bit green you should get a idea if it’s just something odd or the bud itself. Don’t decarb. The point is to test the profile on a small bud. I can’t say why it would be that way, but I do know how to test factors that can eliminate guessing on if it’s you or not. Grab a trusted friend with a good nose and ask them if they can smell anything off the oil or rso that you made.

2 Likes

will also happen if you don’t flush and have the chemical fertilizer still in the buds

3 Likes

Did the buds have a good smell at the end of flower? What about before smoking?

These are my guesses as well.

6 Likes

I’m also going to say improper drying/curing tech. I had the same problem on this last run with my liberty haze losing it’s flavor. Definitely my drying curing tech even though I had it at 68°f and 53% rh for ten days. :sleepy: I know its been asked a thousand times but would love to know everyone’s tried and true drying/curing techniques. I’m getting ready to say screw it and start throwing everything in the freezer when its dried and see how that method goes.

1 Like

They are frosty and smell great. The flavor is purely off the top. I dried until buds snapped, trimmed bud has been in approx 60% rh jars in the dark. Been inspecting and opening them everyday. About 3 weeks. No mold, buds aren’t sticking to the jars or each other, they are not too dry. Maybe harvest too early?

3 Likes

It’s always possible, but in the end does it give you the effects you want?

I tried a bud from a different jar, harvested a week later. Tastes better, but a little harsher. @OniTenshu The high is on point all the way through, but I don’t like to smoke much anymore so when I do, I want that awesome flavor. I have 5 in final bud right now. I’m gonna flush these for 2 weeks instead of one and see what happens.

Truth be told… I’m leaning towards too early, as I have a really hard time seeing through my jeweler’s loupe. My vision sucks and it’s something with my progressive lenses… don’t know, just hard for me to see trichomes clearly. I even downloaded a few magnifying apps hoping to take pics, those were worse than the loupe. sigh

3 Likes

If you have a laptop or phone that has otg support I recommend one of these -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2839-Black-50-500x-2mp-USB-8-LED-Light-Digital-Microscope-Camera-Magnifier-5953/13024202429

It’s what I use now as I couldn’t get my loop to focus well enough :+1: it’s one of the best tools I’ve ever bought @Meesh.

6 Likes

@Meesh
I’ve grown plenty of cardboard flavored weed in my day too. Could be that you just need to try some new genetics. ‘Blueberry’ for example has a really powerful smell that lasts a long time when stored. I can open a year-old jar of BB and it smells like opening a packet of koolaid.

8 Likes

2 cups of Back strap molasses, 2 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of honey. Once every week for last 3 week of harvest. Water with normal distilled water twice every time before next sugar feedings. Also slow dry by keeping stems connected.

4 Likes

I will just extend what @Scissor-Hanz said : genetics. This is a critical point, at the start. A specimen than possess a “fragile” chemotype than can be hitted during the grow will be always tricky to produce. And will ask more to flirt with carencies and dry cycles to express its terpens than anything else … just saying ^^

Boom …

Chack … (on the right)

Bitchy phenos are bitchy phenos, and by default i reject them from my genpool.

6 Likes

This may be a noob question, but what do you mean by " hitted"? Also, what can you do if your growing in coco and can’t let the medium dry out in order to get the plant to produce more terps? And do you have any suggestions on gentetics that will tase and smell good even if the dry/cure is less than perfect? Sorry for all the questions lol :unamused:

1 Like

Sorry my english, maybe more “shooted”/“disturbed”/“annihilated”.

Typically the plants than will not produce anything but hay and spinach aftertastes if you push them too hard in K at the bad time. They will mainly store it for good and never use it fully. Because their bitchy “metabolization”, their chemotype (THCx/CBx but also terpens) will only express fully in a smart carencie’s management (like the example in pics) and in pretty dry cycles (gentle hydric stress). I pass by a fool now when i say that but cannabis is “builded” to grow with just enough nutrients to survive, and also to “clean” the soil where it grow. Like oysters, its a “depolution” agent. It mean a lot in fact in term of feeding charts.

I’m in coco too (i love that), the true big trick is just to produce a dense root mass in veg to be able to have dryer cycle in plain flowering stage. The density will protect your plant in keeping the core always wet and stable, then permit to water less often. It end with more yield and more quality. It’s useless to fully dry the medium like in soil, but letting it have “gentle” dry cycles make a difference in bonus to make your multi-perpetual more easy to drive.

On the strains, the most known imho is a (true) Sour Diesel and its best hybrids. It will challenge your carbon filters, no matter your level of skills lol

All old school skunks too (than survive mostly in US lines today), and in a way the majority of Dutch classics : NL5xHaze, NL, Skunk#1, Jack herer … it don’t mean than you don’t have to select your specimen to “motherize”, as a growers (without necessary breeding in mind i mean). That’s another aspect of your responsability in the equation; if your seedlings allready stink the hell (a bit musky generally) you’re on the right way ^^

You have also specific lines than don’t are specially stinky (insuring you at least the “nose taste” later) but than taste strong : Blueberry, Sweet Tooth#3, Orange Bud, Critical Mass … these one can be destroyed by a bad feeding but a lot less than strains not specially tasty at the basis.

Remember this : perfect drying and curing conditions output always a better weed, that’s obvious. But if this is necessary to just have a taste/scent : replace the genetic (with the same but from another batch of selection, or another strain).

11 Likes

Thank you for the in depth reply! :smiley: I definitely see your point with pushing to much nutes on them. I think I over fed a bit on the last run, and this has something to do with it. I’ve been paying closer attention to ppms this time around. I still have to get my dry/cure tech back up to par. Having a hard time controlling my environment in the dry closet I have right now. Also one of the triple cheese plants I have going right now is extremely skunky for being only 4 weeks old. Definitely thinking about cloning her in case she turns out to be a winner. And sorry don’t mean to highjack the thread :grimacing:

2 Likes

https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru-of-ganja-blog/how-to-properly-dry-and-cure-cannabis-buds

3 Likes

Boils down to genetics, doesn’t it?

3 Likes

Hydroponic usually has no taste, imo. I prefer soil. Too rapid of drying can remove all aromatics.

2 Likes

Per what volume of water? 60 gallons??

1 Like