My first bagseed grow

It’s just a behavior I noted was in more than trees. It’s just that trees make the best shorthand example I can think of. I know companion planting was based off that old world farming technique that made use of interconnected roots to supply nutrients and increase resistant to harm. A group is always better able to handle a disaster after all as long as they all communicate properly.

I talk strange I know. I had just meant companion plants do that. There’s plants that are bad for cannabis to pair with as well. One of the 2 will win that fight for nutrients or both will lose. Definitely not a beneficial thing when they don’t like each other and you force them to be in the same area together.

Yes I do in fact believe that plants do have some form of awareness of their surroundings based off what they do when near non compatible plants. Even trees themselves don’t like all other trees. A place near my house hired the worst landscaping company apparently as they mixed in tree species that don’t like each other. You can see that by the branches moving away from the other tree. They both do it. When near a tree they do get along with they grow the branches pointing towards the other tree.

Maybe I’m just crazy, but I believe that shows some level of ability to process information. Maybe not in the way we consider an organism that thinks to be as I’m pretty sure it’s all chemistry in the plants that cause this reaction, but at the same time everything we do is fueled by chemistry too. Even our nerves sending signals throughout the body requires the right chemistry or it won’t happen.

I just found it really interesting that trees will be something like social with other trees or antisocial if they don’t like the tree next to them.

I’ll do that next watering. The leaves on Harmony are consistently going lighter in shade from the bottom up like a nitrogen deficiency however. The rest don’t see any issues like she does.

1 Like

I agree but companion plants generally have different needs at different times and different root structures etc… so they don’t need to compete. Nature is ruthless.

1 Like

Nah… I think it’s just fade now… whatever old leaves were damaged before are getting used. Keep an eye on new growth.
Old leaves don’t repair color wise etc…

1 Like

Almost forgot to update.
I raised the lights and put the UV lights higher than the rest of the lights. I needed them about a foot above any plant parts, so I did that. Now my challenge will be if the LED light turns on when the lights do. IDK what that was on the ub bulb base, but that sticky syrup like substance on the black plastic looking part of the base concerns me. I wiped it off and hopefully won’t have to fiddle with the lights again.

1 Like

I had meant the roots all feeding each other nutrients. Like how mycorrhizae work on a most basic level. A symbiotic relationship between roots

I know during flowering the fan/shade leaves will be sucked dry so to speak for the nutrients they store as that’s also nature. I just don’t know the timing if there’s any when that happens or if it’s just sorta random

1 Like

@ReikoX do you know of any good soil innoculate I can get that will not contain time release nutes? I really do want to make sure I provide my next grow with anything they will need, but also to keep unwanted pests micro or macro away. Funny enough I could probably ise a ladybug now to mop up the straggler gnats left around Holly. I saw a small bunch after disturbing the soil, but no more than 10. Is it possible to have hope that I am getting rid of them without a pesticide/fungicide?

Also if I can use it to help this grow too awesome! I will be adding more soil on top to help cover up the exposed roots that are popping out at the base of the plants

Think annual plant… ie… Sunflowers. They grow, the leaves form, flower forms, seeds form, leaves die, flower dies, seeds fall and possibly die… I think you would lose fans slower if you’ve had a perfect grow, but once nutes are out of whack or water etc… they are affected. Once affected, the damage has been done. So something that happened 5 weeks ago can make leaves fall off today instead of maybe 3 weeks from now etc…

1 Like

Oh okay. Somehow no one has explained that to me while I’m capable of understanding it. I’ve been stressed out of my trees(LoL puns) for all of August really. Dealing with a roommate who is a giant toddler most days nearly all day. Is it bad that I became a more responsible adult after having to baby him? I was a mess before that

1 Like

I’m seeing the soil moving away from the sides now. I’m definitely watering the middle less next time. It’s the only spot left with moisture. All 4 corners of the bin look almost arid

The roots will search for water. There is more shade in the middle, the edges dry first in any pot. Be careful there. It takes awhile to find your balance when watering. It’s true that’s the number one mistake by new growers. I personally struggled with it too. It was a tough technique to master. Swear the green thumb people are just born with it, most of us have to learn though.

1 Like

I mostly go off instinct this grow when to react. I ask a lot of questions to be sure, but most of what I was told to do I did before I was told to. Still a good thing to check if I screwed up though. For technology I have a black thumb. My muscle twitches can completely destroy a repair job and most electronics die in my hands. So far only game consoles are the exception. No idea why. I have a day one edition Xbox one and I avoided all the issues it was plagued with. 1st wave of preorders too. Maybe they made the 1st batch better or I got lucky. Either way this console is now just shy of 6 years old and still going strong. Slowly like a old PC, but she can still handle a resource intensive game just fine. No multitasking though if I’m playing one. Spotify or Pandora usually crash when the memory is too low

Sidetracked myself there. I don’t think I have a green thumb, but I definitely don’t have a black thumb in gardening. I just treat them like my children. I’ll be a bad father though when I have to kill them to consume them. At least it’s not people?:man_shrugging:t2:

I had to readjust the lights. The sockets the UV bulbs went in became claimed by them alone. No other bulb I own powers on with it. That concerns me. It really doesn’t sound electrically safe.

The light actually reaches the soil very bright to my eyes now.

last pic is HDR off. I can’t tell the difference tbh. Already a point in favor of this new arrangement of lights. I have a 2700k LED i haven’t made use of that I should. What light should I switch with the last ACE LED?

This post is taking awhile. I did my last dab until I reup and I just can’t stop staring at the girls. Ingrid looks a lot better. To a degree I can’t describe how much of a giddy 2yo little girl I am inside my head rn(I’m both born and identify as male BTW). I never once thought she’d do this well. After I moved some leaves blocking her light and gave her more oxygen (thanks again everyone for finally pushing me to do it) she started to bulk up and resemble Holly and Sadie more. The 2 of them have a identical or close to it spiral bud growth pattern on the stems. Also really fun to stare at when high. Then there’s Harmony. Her dense growth is actually a double helix bud growth pattern after looking close.
Now I have to take pics at my angle I’m looking. Maybe it makes a difference as my GF doesn’t think they look any different from the last time she saw them. Maybe this grow or my friend drove me crazy. IDK :man_shrugging:t2:

Holly

Sadie

Ingrid

And now Harmony :mermaid:

I think she just became my favorite one😍

Ran out of power on my phone. Can’t use flash for the rest of the money shot pics. I’ll check to see, but I’m pretty sure Harmony just had a growth spurt there. I don’t remember that cola being that big yesterday.

Edit: I just saw roots growing along the top of the soil. More specifically sticking out of the soil. It had a Frayed End. Maybe it was from one of the 3 males or it could be a root from Harmony I damaged when trying to so seed or check 2 inches down. I grabbed some soil from the surrounding area and then realized all of the surface has small roots on it. I’m definitely calling rootbound or too much topsoil erosion.

The soil dried out pretty fast. When I went 2 inches down where the garlic I had to pull out and the basil in the corner as well I saw it had moisture, but was as moist as cocoa powder. The edges of the soil were caving in. I can one arm lift the bin again to separate the 2 bins. It’s officially dry enough to water. I added 200ml of fpj and 5ml of the soap to 3.5L of water. One of those 2 if not the decomposed garlic in the soil helped. The garlic I pulled was mushy and rotted on bottom. The basil I pulled actually had perfectly fine roots. They just never took in the soil. They were the same as when I put the cutting in the soil. If anything it had whiter roots than it went in with.

Anyways I changed my watering technique. Instead of using the Solo cup to water with I chose to use the Conair spray bottle instead. I spray the soil first to rehydrate it evenly. Then I should keep doing that until the water is gone, but I didn’t. Instead I used the bottle as a lower pressure watering tool instead. Very slowly pouring water over the bases being careful not to pour it over the middle or let it run to the middle if possible. 4oz water was poured on the middle. I have a feeling it’s where all the moisture retained. Also I only ever removed the main root from the males after I pulled them. Not even sure I got it all, but it didn’t look cut when I got the 2 inch roots out. I expected them to be larger when I pulled them out TBH. I’m assuming some level of decomposition is happening in there with the old roots or they are grabbing, but not using moisture. Whatever the case I’m giving the middle less water.
Not 1 catnip seed sprouted. Ah well.

No megacrop this time. I’m gonna see how my ladies do with no added fert this time. I made sure to water Harmony more than the others as always. Sadie as always doesn’t mind one way or the other if she has more or less. Either that or I’ve conveniently nailed her needs each time, but with the Double Helix pattern and density of her buds I’d say she’s doing best and idk why.:man_shrugging:t2:

I’ve definitely noticed in the first 2 hours after lights on they drink a lot. The rate slows down after 2 hours, but maybe it stops and I can’t tell. I watered when I did after noting the soil was significantly dryer than it was a few hours ago. They’re thirsty today and I’m not going to dehydrate them if I know they want water. Guess it’s LITFA the next couple of days now. Just staring at the girls until I can’t anymore. IDK why, but I just love staring at them move around. They don’t really move a lot, but they catch the air from the AC after it hits something and that’s moving them gently on top.

Also I just bothered to test my corncobs temp and they radiate 150°f heat on them and it drops to 80f at 6 inches away. The tops of Sadie and Holly are both at 86f average. Now Harmony too after the light change. At least I know my vpd, but not quite sure how to use that info with my tired brain rn. On fumes waiting to pass out.

Still awake somehow. no change in leaf health for the worse this time. Maybe it was just damage showing up later on. The center of the soil is already becoming dry, so I’ll have to adjust the amount of water next time I guess

Your gnat problem is going away because you are no longer over watering.

Soil innoculant, cheapest just (vermi)compost, I use mycos when I transplant, but that’s it.

2 Likes

Interesting. Good to know. I’ve been convincing myself that I had to innoculate the soil to avoid these issues

Why do you want to re-use this soil? Refresh my memory. What kind of soil is it?

1 Like

You doubt yourself too much. Your plants look happy as far as I can tell, and they’re far enough along that you can pretty much coast to the finish.

1 Like