My Return to Cannabis - Kashmir Azad Indoor Open Pollination

First, let me say thank you for being such a welcoming community. It’s been amazing to be growing cannabis again. It’s a lot more fun than I remember, but also a bit more work than I remember.

I started growing cannabis about 5 years ago. I started with indoor hydro and nothing on the market really resonated with me; I didn’t like the strains–they didn’t have magic or soul, and I didn’t like hydroponic growing. But, my love for cannabis really endured. I remained immensely passionate about it. I wanted to focus on landrace/heirloom/rare/exotic strains, but I unfortunately moved to an illegal state. Despite not being able to grow, I’ve spent the last few years working on a cannabis related project–I was at least able to finish the parts peripherally involved, but covid has all my plans on hold.

I moved back to a legal state a couple months ago and wasted no time getting back into cannabis growing. I found some fascinating seeds–Kashmir Azad–on a seedbank I’d used before, it’s an F2 of the Niekira seed trust release, originally from Barefrog. As I did more research on the seeds and their history, I eventually found overgrow, and here I am.

The grow consists of 12 Kashmir Azad plants and 1 Dragon Fighter (Three Headed Dragon x Long Bottom Fighter), that I think is female. If it’s male, then I am going to cull it. The plants were topped at the second internode for four main colas. I am not a rigid pruner, but I like to guide. It’s a mixed spectrum grow. I am a huge believer of mixed spectrum. I am using a MH/HPS (600 watt), T5 (4ftx8 Bulb), and Mars Hydro LED (The 600 or 800 one?). I select the bulbs to maximize the light spectrum coverage, though I do drift the entire room to warmer light as I go deeper into flower. I am using soil. I just moved and don’t have any of my old supplies to mix soil in large quantities, so I used 50% Roots 707 and 50% a mix that I made, consisting of peat moss, coir, perlite, and humus. I keep my soil pretty lean. I use it mostly as a pH buffer (I’m lazy about that) and moisture storage device, not a nutrient storage vessel. The plants will ultimately be housed in 15 gallon cloth pots.

The bad: I over-extended myself. I only have enough soil and saucers for six 15 gallon cloth pots. I didn’t expect to keep all 12 when I planned this grow. I am going to adapt. I also forgot to buy pots to up-pot. I only have 1 gallon and 15 gallon pots!!! It’s a nightmare. I’ve had to scour my house for every pot I can find and I am using garbage decorative pots in my grow!!! This is NOT how I grow, but this is the new me, the flexible me! I am going to put my six strongest females in the 15 gallon cloth pots. I am going to keep the males as root bound as I can in random garden gnome pots without killing them. I don’t have enough light for them either, so I am also gonna have to starve them of light. It’s ok; they’re males–they’re ok with suffering and expendability as long as they get to reproduce. The other, weaker females will be given large garden gnome pots and given adequate light.

This will be an open pollination, and I will let the Dragon Fighter be pollinated by one of the Kashmir Azad males. That will be a fun F1 to grow out. Now, onto the plants. Bear with me if I mess this up; I haven’t made a grow diary in ages.

Here’s all of them together, all the ladies and gentlemen:
High Res

Here’s plant #1. Let’s call him a male.

High Res

Here’s #2. I desperately hope she’s a female. She’s as vigorous as most of the males. She’s showing no sex traits yet, but her energy feels female to me. We’ll see!

High Res

Here’s #3. Let’s call her a female.

High Res

Here’s #4. Weird phenotype, doesn’t like the heat. It’s one of my favorite phenotypes. Odd. It’s cooling down, so he should perk up. He’s definitely a male.

High Res

Here’s #5. I’m calling him a male. Nice plant!

High Res

Here’s #6. I’m calling her a female.

High Res

Here’s #7. An interesting sprawling plant I feel is female.

High Res

Here’s #8. I’m calling her female.

High Res

Here’s #9. I’m calling her female.

High Res

Here’s #10. I’m calling her female.

High Res

Here’s #11. I don’t have any idea on sex yet, maybe female.

High Res

Here’s #12. I’m calling her female.

High Res

All of my gender guesses are based on pre-sex organs, size, and ‘energy’. Luckily, I don’t have to cull based on pre-sex (which I hate), since this is an open pollination (as much as a dozen plants can be). High and low res images included.

I am going to run this Kashmir Azad on my next run and try mixing it with a nice landrace sativa.

42 Likes

Beautiful plants. Are these from “Generic Seeds”?
I’ve got a similar project going. Can’t wait to see what you find.

9 Likes

They are from “Generic Seeds.” I’d rather have gotten them here, but the person that released these seemed methodical and organized enough that I think I trust the lineage. I’m excited and unsure of what to expect.

13 Likes

I have a pack of those also. I’ll be watching this man. :+1:
:guitar:

8 Likes

Well this sounds interesting!
I’ll pull up a chair for the show :couch_and_lamp: :popcorn: :+1:

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Will be nice to see how these grow out. I have a pack of the supernatural selections cross with the Rajasthani Sikar and haven’t seen any pics of it grown out yet.

19 Likes

@Eudaemon the start of a great journal already! I look forward to following along.

7 Likes

That looks like an amazing cross!!! That’s exactly the kind of cross I am trying to create, a Kashmir Azad crossed with a spicy, electric, sativa–especially a landrace or heirloom. Please grow those out soon!

9 Likes

Lol. I have a few of those Rajasthani x Kashmir going right now, and @StevieG has a couple outdoors. I’ll tag you when I update em.

9 Likes

Thank you so much! I really, really need to see how those turn out so I can see what direction to take my next grow. Checking out your grow diary now!

7 Likes

I’m in bro.
:chair: :tropical_drink: :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Nice! Please tag me also! I have a pack as well, and I’ love see what’s in store! :v:

4 Likes

We just finished an outdoor run of Asad Kashmir and it’s almost dry… a little curing time and be ready to try it for the first time ever… Thanks Bare for the oppurtunity to run it…

Your attention to detail shows your love of this wonderful plant… pulling up a walker to gander
at your work, and thanks for sharing so much…

10 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! How did your grow go? Any feelings about the plants after spending a season with them?

I really, really, can’t wait for a smoke report. I’ve not found one that gives me a good, clear idea of what to expect. It’s hard because so much of the language we use to describe effects can be subjective. I am going to go back and search to see if maybe I missed a few experience reports.

7 Likes

Unfortunately my buddy grew this outside in the desert region… He just cut down the Azad plants and are slow drying now… I’ll be more then happy to get you a good smoke
report soon as possible… I’m on another grow site and the AKashmire has a nice following…

I’m sure your gonna love it and looks like you have all the phenos to go thru, ah the fun part…

8 Likes

Small concern. When I was inspecting plant #6, I found two sets of pre-flower sex organs. One of which looks decidedly male, and the other which looks inconclusively female. I’ve attached pictures.

13 Likes

Things are coming along well. These are probably everyone’s final resting pots. I am going to do my next grow very differently. I just planned everything wrong, from container size to plant count. Next run is going to be more lights, smaller pots, more plants.

They are really growing well, though!

25 Likes

Looking nice @Eudaemon.

6 Likes

Awesome log!

6 Likes

I forgot to mention that anyone that wants seeds from this pollination is more than welcome to them for the cost of shipping! I think there was recently a preservation run of this, so I don’t think it’s worth starting one or anything like that, but the seeds will be freely available to anyone that wants them. And if you want to pheno hunt for a breeding project, I can give you quite a few.

16 Likes