Name Brand Seeds (v.s.) OG Seeds

Looking for your honest opinion here

In general, in your years of growing experience…

Are $75. $100, $250, $500 seed packs any better than a pack of Seeds you get from someone on Overgrow for free? :smiley:

33 Likes

It depends on the work put in. That’s it.

18 Likes

Definately some of the expensive ones developed by reputed dealers are great. Much higher odds of getting good Genetics. That being said I’ve got expensive crap before and absolute winners for free. If you have history and photos of plants and previous grows with the seeds it’s a great basis for what you’re getting too.

31 Likes

First off I find high priced seed packs to be a rip off. Some may have killer genetics but high prices are usually driven by hype and not worth it IMO. There is a group that was buying up rare and high priced seeds to reproduce and found many of them to be garbage with bad germ rates. Now when it comes to seeds from OG growers at least you can normally see the plants they came from which is much better than one random pic banks tend to use. So really it depends.

48 Likes

OG seeds all the way.

30 Likes

In the last year I’ve grown nothing but OG members seeds and had excellent plants :fire:! I haven’t touched any of the breeder packs I have sitting in the fridge :laughing:. Not to say I won’t pop any of those packs some of them are from great breeders. That said I think it’s really awesome to see the grow journals that OG’s put work and effort into here as compared to stock photo’s and little to no descriptions of what you’re intending to buy.

20 Likes

That is what it ultimately comes down to.
In theory, a pack from a professional breeder should have more potential ‘unicorns’ per pack than something from our local friends.

Now that said, I’ve grown plants from Overgrow breeders that blew away plants from from major sources (I’m thinking of you, RQS :smirk:)

Folks, do not discount Overgrow beans because they don’t cost $10~20/each.

Cheers
G

46 Likes

Being able to watch a seed run in real time is worth it’s weight in pressed latinum.

33 Likes

GOLD pressed latinum! :rofl:

23 Likes

I’m literally watching DS9 right now :laughing: Quark is fantastic

18 Likes

I am kind of mix of gifted seeds and breeder packs.
I’m going to leave a few out but for quality for the prices…
Karma , Tony Green, Bodhi, Connoisseur, and especially retired breeder Chunky’s Bagseeds.
Then there are the high priced beans between 100 and 700… and then there are Genetic Designer packs currently running into a couple grand a pack…(loads of freebie packs come with though)
I have many packs of seeds from some high end , high priced breeders and some have been worth it… some were good but not great.
I have seeds from aficionado that were very pricey and limitted and also have F2’s made by me and others.
When I spend more than 100 bucks… or lets say 150 bucks for beans… the purchase is for potential breeding stock.
I make a lot of seed for myself and others so buildig a vast genetic library means sometimes a guy has to spend a bit more than he wants too LOL
All that said… the seeds that top my list for consistant results and that hit all my desired flavor profiles and high… as well as provide me relief for my disabilities… Karma, Tony Green and Chunky’s Bagseeds(the OGKB 2.0 lines and “cookie boi” crosses are all so killer) and I would have to add Antenna seeds in there as well when i need a little sativa high to balance me out :wink:
Then I absolutely love pheno hunting thru killer crosses or reproductions made by others. I dig that we can watch seed runs from start to finish… a very cool feature of this site.

17 Likes

18 Likes

Quark is the best.
If you can recite all 285 Rules of Acquisition…
…you may have a problem… :pinching_hand: :rofl:

Cheers
G

11 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: Star Trek- always popular among stoners

I’d have to agree OG free seeds all the way.

8 Likes

Best bet for starting out, there are lots of fantastic Genetics floating around here. And if there is something specific from a vendor you want just ask, odds are that there are people in here that have had experience with them

9 Likes

I have honestly had better success with seeds created by OG members.

12 Likes

I’m on a similar path lately with a mix. Not from here, not yet anyways.i see a couple OG strains that look interesting. I like GLG due to the Bad Dawg freebies. But fair prices on what I do want as well. I think I have had something from Genus Seeds, formerly Generic Seeds in my last 4 runs in the tent. Bad Dawg too.

6 Likes

Hey @Gonzo . I’ve grown everyone for $50 a pack to $400 a pack since seeds became readily available in the mid 90s. I have grown OG seed for the last year and a bit and I’d say they are on par with the breeder packs for the most part. Some are good, some are not as good.
I think if you really want something that you plan on making more seed with to give away or sell, it’s of the utmost importance to be able to trace the provenance of said beans. Your best bet is to get them from the source, the breeder who made that strain. Most of us who’ve been around for a bit understand that there’s a lot of shit that is called a popular name, but it’s not that thing in reality. Not intentionally most times, just takes one guy to rename or even mislabel a plant and it gets injected into the breeding program as this when it’s really that. And the misrepresentation gets passed on down the line. Anyhow, sorry for the rambling. You have as good a chance of finding keepers in OG seed, as you do from most breeder packs. Grow them beans out, you won’t be disappointed!! :grin::peace_symbol:

21 Likes

The way I see it is OG seeds all the way… with one caveat. It’s gotta come from a quality source. The reason I say that is because there’s a lot of just simple chucks from people with whatever’s at hand, and while many are great, you’re kind of taking a gamble. At the same time there is an immense amount of quality genetics floating around here with many putting more into it than “professional” breeders. Nearly everything in my roster is from OG, but with the exception of a handful of packs I know they all carry quality genetics.

11 Likes