When should I put clones outside?

Hey people I’m planning my first outdoor grow this year and need some info, first off i am located in eastern Canada , Newbrunswick to be exact… i plan on getting clones my question is if i don’t put them out before june 21st how long before should i get them and keep them inside? And also can i keep them in my window and let the daylight take care of them or am i gonna need to get a light to keep them under 24/7? I’ve only ever grown indoor and its been a while. If they can sit in the window and be fine I’d prefer this as its easier for my situation…

8 Likes

Congratulations, this is a one-way trip… :sunglasses:

Ask these :maple_leaf: hosers:

:laughing:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

What do you mean about a 1 way trip? And thanks i will post over there and see what they say

2 Likes

Who ??? Bob & Doug only know about beer… and hockey…lol

Peace
DaFozz

5 Likes

LoL,

When does your sun light get to 16 hours a day? That’s when they can go out temperatures permitting You could put them out earlier but they could start to flower and then re veg as daylight gets longer and then go back to flowering.

So long as you can keep them in 16 hours of light they should be good.

Most people I know, who grow outside, are starting them now. Growing inside and getting them as big as they can before moving them out for a couple of hours a day for a week to acclimate them to the sun, before sticking them in the ground.

If you can get clones easily and are not set up for indoor growing, get them a couple of weeks before you plan to plant outside.

6 Likes

However, on a more serious note, I know any clones I have for outdoors will be going out the first opportunity that I feel confident enough that Mother Nature will not pull a fast one… doesn’t always work out, but I figure that it will give them the best chance to veg before they flip to flowering. Maybe it’s just me, but I find when I put them in a window they tend to stretch a lot. Myself, I am hoping for the last week of May, first week of June.

Keep in mind, I am only going by what I have done in the past few small guerilla grows I have done in the bush. By no means an expert, but I kind of feel the sooner the better.

Good Luck

Peace
DaFozz

7 Likes

Oh man, I need to watch that again… :laughing:

4 Likes

:wink: :wave: Just sayin Overgrow is a wonderful place & growing your own is like opening Pandora’s box(:thinking: never actually met her)
Some of us here are OG addicts. :smile:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

I’m no expert but I accidentally screwed up some clones by putting them outside without weening them off artificial light hours. I believe if you lower the light cycle by 15 mins every few days until you reach outside light hours they will be fine.

Holy sunlight, Batman! Where do you get 16 hours of sun? We only get up to like 14 and change in Southern Cali. I get mine started by 13 hrs outdoors here.

5 Likes

lowering the light cycle 15 min every day is a good idea, but they also need to be hardened off to the sun . it is alot brighter than hid’s and can burn those young leaves. i always set them out in a bit of shade for a week or so before planting. bringing them in at night if it’s too cold still. this will ensure they have less issues when in the full sun. the full moon is on june 3rd ,this year so will probably be going in the ground by the weekend after that. weather permitting.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone one thing im still unsure of do i need artificial lighting inside before they are ready to go out or are the plants fine sitting in my window until i move them out

1 Like

These girls seem to be doing alright there on close to 16 hours a day with day light supplementation however they may flip then flip back to veg who know that’s what I’m thinking no biggy I like experimentation

1 Like

Canada lol, I am in Nova Scotia, we are probably the most southerly point in Canada so we get less light a day compared to the rest but not a significant amount. We hit 16 hours a day mid May. Then after June 21st 22nd the equinox hits and we start losing light.

When growing outside in the UK we never got to see buds, because the light doesn’t drop until October enough to trigger flowering. In Scotland it never really gets dark in August.

4 Likes

So does anyone know if i need artificial light indoors before they go out in june or is sitting in the window fine before they get moved outside?

If it was me I would have them under artificial light, if you’re sun light times are less than 16 hours ( to be on safe side) which is now, they will need supplemental light of any kind. The more light you have the better they will do. You might scrape without triggering flowering hormones without it, ATM we are on that edge at 14 hours a day.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! So I must wait until having 16 hours of sunlight to take outdoors my Frisian Duck’s (actually with 16/8 indoors) or they will start flowering, interesting … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well not exactly, these are the safe limits, like 12/12 is guaranteed to trigger flowering. 16/8 is the safe point for not. If you put them out in 14 hours from 16 they will start to prepare, to go into flower. It’s a gradual process.

You don’t want to stress the plant and cause a possible hermie, by chopping backwards and forwards with light amounts.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies i think im gonna get a cabinet and put some LED bulbs and a fan to keep them in till they can go out… Any idea whats a good dimension size to house them in till then? Its gonna be 4 plants… Sorry if I’m a pain in the arse just trying to learn and doing searches haven’t gotten me far

3 Likes

If they are clones they will need artificial light depending on how much sunlight you have. You will have to find out how much light they were given when you get them, my guess is they were at 18/6… So yes! Until you match them with the hours of real daylight slowly. Then you could put them in the window, until they are ready to go out, but I wouldn’t leave them there. Window plants will yield like shit and get really spindly.

1 Like

@Shadey the clones I screwed up by throwing outside without weening off artificial life never hermied. They just prematurely budded, 5 of which ended up revegging. I had 12, so it was an expensive lesson.

@rob0781 IMO clones for outdoors if you are a newbie is not an easy first task. I suggest starting them from seed. That way you could veg them in the window for a little bit before putting them outside. Also, if you have early rainy fall, I suggest growing autos outside that way you don’t risk powdery mildew etc… before they are finished.

2 Likes