Need help with sick plant

I started out with happy frog in solo cups the transplanted into 1gal containers of ocean forest w/ about 20% added perlite and one cup of powdered dolomite lime per 1.5 cubic ft of soil.
I wasn’t thinking about the small plant in a larger container and like a dummy I saturated the container and believe I overwatered.
I watered with ro and 3 ml of calmag ph 6.5 and tds of 250 ppm but the runoff was 7.8 so I decided flush the soil a little more which was bad.
Now half of my plants look great but the other half look like the pic below and the healthier looking plants have so twisting of the leaves like a ph issue.
I’m not real sure where to go from here and with adding lime and perlite should I still be adding calmag to the ro water or is that too much calcium?
Please help a struggling grower :pray:

8 Likes

I like to use some type beneficial bacteria once a week. It helps buffer the media and the plants uptake nutrients at a wider ph range

5 Likes

If it is as you say, and you have both pH and overwatering issues, I would flush with lots of pHed water and then let it dry out.

My tap water is 7.0 so it’s close enough for a reset. I run a few gallons through it.

All the best

5 Likes

I forgot to mention I do use recharge for microbes.

2 Likes

@Foreigner that was my thought as well but but that only seemed to make it worse :pensive:

2 Likes

How much Recharge? That might be a source of your problems. AND, how often? SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

pH problem from overwatering, nutrient block depends on if the pH goes up or down and if the roots have shut down and waxed over to waterproof. Stop adding everything and let it dry out, adding nutrients will make it worse, dump that soil, transplant to new soil and wait.

Same plant 3 weeks after transfer from soaking wet soil.

12 Likes

If you were overwatered and then did a flush, your roots are probably just stressed out. Give them a slightly drier environment for a week and they should bounce right back. You don’t want to NOT water, just water a little less and give yourself a little more time between them for the week.

I am curious though, you’re growing in organics and flushing your plants out? Not trying to criticize, but it seems counter-productive to rinse out bunches of critters you are spending time cultivating. I usually try to make corrections without drastically messing with environment in there, because that’s going to take a while to get corrected as well so it can feed the plants.

7 Likes

Yes, and some LITFA in a drum.

10 Likes

I would let it run its course and dry out completely until you water again …then possibly you can see if their is a underlying issue and correct instead of jumping gun and trying to correct issue immediately” guilty” plants need two three days minimum to show improvement

2 Likes

@misterbee the recharge is only microbe food but its 1tps per gal mix then you only use about 10oz per plant of that mix.

@FailingForwards you are absolutely :100: correct. However these 1 gal contains are just a 3 week home before going into 5 gal containers for flower. Flushing is definitely NOT something I would ever do but was at a loss.

@Heliosphear thats actually what I just finished doing. Very carefully just transplanted to the final 5gal. Cant say I’ve overwatered like this before.

2 Likes

Glad to hear your back on the good grow footing. Way to recover OG. :+1:

2 Likes

The problem is Ocean forest, is a rather hot soil. There is already some nutrients in it, so every time you water it is releasing more nutrients into the root zone. Flushing only compounds the problem because as your trying to wash nutes out, your actually making them more available to the plant further exasperating the problem.

3 Likes

Thank you @SeymourGreen i am going to be using ocean forest for the first time, good to know information.

2 Likes

I dont think ocean forest is hot, ocean forest is to hot for seedlings though. I always start them in happy frog. However flushing will wash out the stuff you want in the soil so I wouldnt advise flushing.

@Heliosphear ocean forest is a solid soil “IF” you use it properly. When you get your ffof take it out of the bag and dump it in a large tote to dry out. Add in extra perlite and 1cup of powdered dolomite per 1.5 cubic ft of soil. After you transplant into the ocean forest do not feed anything for 3 weeks and once you start feeding start at 1/2 dose.

1 Like

Well 24hrs after transplant and some recharge they are already starting to look better. I know better than to overwater a small plant just transplanted in a larger container. Lesson learned

4 Likes