Need soil recipe where i can just water

Have about 2 bags of Fox farms ocean floor and want to grow outdoors in March

I know lime will even ph, but what will feed the plants in veg and bloom?

I plan to mix up each pot individually

2 Likes

Mother earth soil, it’s right outside your house, plants grow in it all the time with nothing but rain water.

6 Likes

Osmocote. Slow release soil fertilizer available pretty much everywhere and very cheap. Works great in beds and pots.

5 Likes

There’s an infinite variety of different ways(stuff to do and or buy) to achieve & I won’t recommend a particular one :astonished::joy_cat: but only because it’s an admission that “mine isn’t better or worse”. :sunglasses:

Simplicity is best & cheapest (@vernal’s suggestion is interesting & sensible but uncommon) and cheapest too. The hydro/grow store preys on the beginner very often :money_mouth_face: (so beware).

There’s a LOT of material here to read up on different methods & recipes for growing.

Will you be planting in the ground or in containers(pots/etc)?

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Osmocote Plus has many advantages. It is a much more complete fertilizer than most of the stuff available for outdoor, and the prills can fertilize for up to 6 months. Cheap, effective, idiot-proof, widely available in most hardware stores. Pretty much all you can ask for. Just gotta water them and watch them grow.

Extremely popular for gardeners outside the canna-microcosm. You can often see the prills still in the Pro-Mix when you buy nursery plants. Those little green/yellow balls in the dirt. Many nurseries just use that, or a similar prill-based slow-release fertilizer.

5 Likes

Before I went mostly organic I would use a simple granular lawn fertilizer like a 10 10 10 or 12 12 12 for 12 bucks. Or you can go to a fertilizer plant if you have one nearby and get a bucket of urea and dap which works great too.
If you want to grow organic it takes time and more money. There have been some new studies don’t ask for my sources cause I didn’t right them down. That prove chemicals used with certain organic practices are off the charts. But I do know 100 percent organic grows tastier smoother easier to come down smoke!

5 Likes

Thanks guys, just mix the oscecoat with the soil? Do I need to add lime? And without lime, does it ph to about 6.5-7?

These are just outdoor plants to keep me busy while I get a job through vocational services

Thinking of kc brains gear

1 Like

I would mix it in the top inch or two. Your gonna have to get a pH tester. I bought one off amazon for 5 dollars and works fine. They have 2 probes coming out of them that you simply put into your soil. Calcium/lime for pH up, and magnesium sulfate for pH down. Keep your pH between 6-6.7 if you can. If you have a home Depot or a farm supply store you can ask for help with amendments that will raise/lower ph. There’s a lot out there

M3 a Michigan brand makes a soil that already has everything you need. I have a friend who’s used m3 for multiple grows and does not have to re amend. His buds are beautiful!

1 Like

Most fertilizer is slightly acidic. I can’t say whether it’ll adjust your pH to 6.5-7. If it’s commercial potting soil and you plan to water with tapwater you probably won’t need lime. Usually a little higher pH is better than lower, though.

Yep just mix into your planting mix as per the directions. I usually just scatter it over the beds for my outdoor non-cannabis plants. Works fine.

1 Like

With that soil using at least 15gal in a container, you should be able to go all season with just water. But any added amendments would be helpful, but don’t over do it. The oscecoat is a good no maintenance blend since the soil should have almost everything else. can’t really go wrong with that or a standard 10-10-10. If your digging a hole and filling it with the fox farm, then you should be all set either way. Also, don’t forget to mulch the top!

a classic.

1 Like

I’ve used m3 before, its better on its 2nd and 3r d grow, then it starts to dip on yield. Just mix it half with fresh m3 and it works great again.

1 Like