Need some strain suggestions please

I did not, I would love to do zamal but those over 20 week flowering plants scare me😅 I should pick up a pack of zamaldelica to actually get a bit of a taste of zamal, supposed to be very trippy.

Another suggestion for elfman would be maybe even the Maui79 cherry bomb? Sebring will be releasing on his site, he also had a run of Papua New Guinea which should also be good in that climate. It’s out of stock on the site but he said he still has some and I’m sure given your environment he’d be happy to help you out with some.

2 Likes

Hi there RedOctober…thanks so much for your input…really appreciate it.
Sailed around the Southern Indian Ocean many summers ago and remember all over Madagascar it was possible to use their word for bud: Zamala…this suddenly rang a load of bells but must admit it was probably related to zamal but the regional variety…differing greatly from place to place…
Will try to get hold of these seeds, thanks for the sharing …but must admit it’s rather difficult to get hold of certain strains as really few seed banks have delivery to my country… am doing what I can…
Thanks for suggesting Sebring…will get in touch with him…

3 Likes

I think zamal is related to Madagascar strains. Same people colonized and visited. @livingthedream was in Madagascar last winter and collected some seeds. Then he disappeared after getting home during peak of covid. ( hope he is ok)That’s one island I would love to go collecting on. Nearly forgotten about. Hardly used for breeding. Did you try the local product?

2 Likes

Hi Elfman, I am in Colombia so I am about 10degrees off of the equator. Where I am the daytime hits about 30 degrees C with a humidity of 60% and night I get about 17 degrees with a humidity of 90%. We have 12hours of sun all year round. So I am probably close to your situation. For us growing here it has been a real trial and error experience. There is lots of stuff written on growing in a normal climate with seasons but not much about growing in a tropical climate. And trust me it’s a whole different ball game. I know you wanting to know about which strains but we have found that it’s also a lot about what you do in your greenhouse because we found that it really isn’t just about the right strain but also about trying to creating the right conditions in your greenhouse. We have tried growing the landrace strains from here like Punto Rojo and Colombian Gold but have had the same issues of in growing these strains as what we have had in growing strains from the USA. My big suggestion is to try and have as much air movement as possible in your green house. A lot of the issues that you could face will be because of poor air movement.

I am new to this forum and to growing but whatever information I can share… I am at your service.

Cheers!!

3 Likes

Great advice. Did you see this @elfman?
Are you sure you had an unhybridized version of the Colombian landraces?

1 Like

Hiya Upstate,

I am as sure as anyone can be. I got my original Colombian Gold and Punto Rojo from a grower that has been preserving these strains for the past 15years and he originally got the seeds from a very remote area 15years ago. It is getting harder and harder to get pure strains in Colombia, even in the remote areas of because there was this big culture of growers wanting to go into these areas and trade seeds. So what happens you start getting things all mixed up.

3 Likes

Hello Agrower. Nice to meet you and welcome to Overgrow. You are lucky to have gotten them pure. This situation of trades seeds infecting local landraces is at a critical point. The reason I asked is that I thought pure colombians were pretty impervious to molds. Even in a greenhouse…though a breeze would make a big difference I suppose. Did they flower for at least 18 weeks? Was the finished product any good? Dont give up on them! They are so rare now.

2 Likes

Check out landraces and heirlooms thread. Colombian gold 1972 is back in stock.

1 Like

While in Madagascar the mode of transport was a 24ft wooden yacht so areas were mostly coastal, from southerly Itampolo to northerly Mahajunga, with an extended stint along the Tsiribihirini River in the central west. The local product was sampled in various places along the way, dirt cheap, ubiquitous, and bought in rolled up fingers wrapped in newspaper, initially carefully opened and disassembled into a-bomb reefers, then enjoyed whole with wild abandon. Wish I had thought about keeping seeds back then…

2 Likes

Hi there Agrower! Excellent to make your acquaintance here on OG. I am amazed that you get such low temperatures at night, i’m about 3 degrees off and the average low is 23 degrees.
What really confuses me is when to plant to be able to harvest in the most appropriate conditions…
The longest/shortest day/night difference is 17 minutes, which i believe will confuse and stress the beauties greatly…or do I not need to worry about this with landraces?
I’ve decided to just put a tall cover over them in order to protect them from heavy rain, and thin the vegetation facing the predominant wind.
The strains I’m attempting are Durban Poison and Malawi Gold, and a zamal strain from madagascar hopefully. All are en route but one is taking particularly long to arrive, hopefully it will arrive soon…
Thanks very much for getting in touch. As I am also new to this game I feel that our mistakes and problems will be similar…
All the best to you!

2 Likes

Hello there Elfman. Just sent you a message this morning. Wanted to give you a heads-up on the new Central American landrace thread that I started. Are you still planning on starting things around February? Have you thought about if it would be safe for me to send you some seeds?

1 Like

Hi there again Upstate!
thanks a million for getting in touch again…will message you by email…

1 Like

hi there again…i’ve sent an email…has it gotten through to you?

1 Like