New Dab Pen Throgh Airport Security

Does airport security allow a new (unopened, factory sealed) dab pen to pass through scanners and TSA security so the dab pen can be taken in the carry on luggage in the airplane from ANY state to any other state (example; flying Florida to Idaho).

There’s no hint at all (0.000000000%) resin nor any traces of any kind on the pen because the factory plastic seal that wraps the box has never been broken…so even if the airport security breaks the seal to inspect it, they will not be able to detect ANY hint nor trace of anything at all.

6 Likes

Not sure but some states/areas have paraphernalia laws. When I lived in PA in the 90s, I remember that we had to drive an hour to be able to purchase glass weed pipes, because only metal was legal to sell in that area.

edit - was thinking this may effect the bag checks depending on the area, was my thought

4 Likes

They really don’t give a shit about your unopened dab rig. They are looking for bombs, weapons, large sums of cash and real drugs. I am no lawyer but I would say, forget about it and just bring it with. I have accidentally flown with joints in my bags and almost always have edibles on flights. The only time I have ever been stopped in the airport was in costa rica, they wouldn’t let me take my skateboard because it was “a weapon”. In the end they made me take the trucks off the board and ship them home, but they let me take the big ass chunk of wood right on the plane allowing me to knock out anyone I wanted.

10 Likes

Edibles.

LAX ignores less than an oz :man_shrugging:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

My mom watches some TSA reality show, and maybe its just for the cameras, but they definitely were looking for any amount of drugs (not necessarily paraphernalia) the one time she had it on while I was over.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it. Put it in with your cosmetics and it will blend right in. TSA doesn’t look for drugs, but will notify local authorities if they find it.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/medical-marijuana

4 Likes

Two of the last 4 times I flew I had edibles and had to walk by the dogs. The dog must be trained explosives only.

1 Like

I wouldn’t advise it. Everyone’s advice about it is nonchalant. You might be fine, or they might make an example out of you. If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime… :peace_symbol: mail it to yourself ahead of time, much safer.

5 Likes

I don’t care where I need to go inside the continental U.S… I’m driving. At worst a train/bus. Never an airplane & their WW2 Germany style checkpoints. Everywhere (besides Hawaii & Peurto Rico) is 48 hours away max, load some audiobooks …enjoy the scenery!

4 Likes

I recently flew out of ATL a couple times with my vape pen. One of them was labeled as Canna something. They didnt ask me anything about it and I put it in the xray bin with the rest of my items. I dont think they care as they are looking for bombs, Still not brave enough to just take straight flower thru the airport even though TSA says that they arent looking for drugs.

2 Likes

This is how I look at it. Even if you get caught with it and they just scold you and take it. You’re on the list!!! That list is for life!!! You don’t want to be on the list!!! Ever!!!

3 Likes

I know someone who got put on the no fly list for a grinder. Not worth the risk. Those of you advocating to bring drugs through tsa are giving bad advice.

2 Likes

I think it ironically has a lot to do with the local laws and attitudes towards cannabis in the area you are departing from, and the actual individual people who staff the checkpoint. I say ironically cuz, ya know, TSA, federal agency, kinda supposed to standardize things, but hey, in this case I’m not complaining. Cuz flying out of San Diego, my home airport, I’ve flown out with personal amounts nearly every time and never even had someone so much as bat an eye. I even had a jumbled suitcase one time that I packed very hastily that looked like shit in the X-ray, got pulled aside for additional screening, and I had like 5gs flower and 2 carts, the battery, just in my toiletry bag and the guy opens it up and was just looking through and looked right at all of it and just closed it back up gave me my stuff back, and says “have a great weekend” and kinda smirks. I mean, that’s one guy one time, so not exactly conclusive proof, but I’ve flown many times with personal amounts and never had an issue. They absolutely do not care about personal cannabis, at least here, not in LA either, or the Bay Area. Now granted, that’s California. But for example, my friend lives in Mass, and he flies all over the country to see music and just flies with ounces of flower, ounce slabs of rosin, and his pufco and has never had an issue as far as I know. Now, would I personally do what he does? No. But he’s a tour legend, so…what do I know…
Plenty of the TSA people smoke now I think. They’re like half staffed by millennials now anyway, at least at most of the airports I pass through. And thppmost of them seem to be in on the joke now; they aren’t looking to ruin anyone’s life. And/or they’re just explicitly directed not to waste time looking for that. Either way, yes it’s nervy at first. But just don’t bring dumb amounts, pack your clothes and everything pretty neatly inside your bag, not a bunch of jumbled cables and loose socks that makes them have to spend 15 seconds looking at your bag in the X-ray, “visual peace” for the person looking, put it with your toiletries and honestly, be confident in that it’s your medicine. But it’s not gonna come to that. They’re not gonna waste their time harassing normal people. Is it the best advice? Prolly not. But it’s my experience with it.

I fly international with these types of pens, haven’t had an issue in the few years I’ve done so.

TSA looks for weapons; if they find drugs, legally they’re supposed to hold the person for local police to deal with. If you’re flying out of a legal state and get caught, I believe the worst that should happen to you is that you’ll be asked to dispose of it and miss your flight. That said, why tempt fate? Just make some edibles when you need to travel. As long as it’s not liquid and is neat & cleanly packed, you can bring food with you.

1 Like

did they get you? inquiring minds want to know. i flew out of sfo with an edible i was going to eat right before the flight and damned if they didn’t find some reason to inspect the bag. took everything out with me looking at it and them made me put it all back. never did find it though.

if you haven’t done it yet i wouldn’t, but that’s because i changed a few months ago and try to follow the law now, personal reasons. there was a time when i didn’t mind driving 50+ lbs anywhere in the us but not any longer. as some have said, if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime. it didn’t work out too well for that wnba star in russain jail for how long now?

I’m not sure I would feel comfortable doing that internationally. Domestic, I’ve flown with vape pens for years. Before those were common, I would grind up my weed and put it in capsules in a pill bottle.

1 Like

My position is not ever not once. There will be weed where you’re going, I promise.

Canada is a bit different now. But going Canada to US is not worth the risk, not if you ever want to go to the US again.

Border guards have no sense of humour.

On rereading I see you are talking about security not border crossing. A bit different, but I still wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Cannabis is legal in Colombia and Mexico, the two places I fly besides the US!

Wouldn’t recommend if you’re going to Russia. Heard bad things.

2 Likes