New grow light options

Unfortunately my trusty Veg light I’ve used for years has decided to crap out half a side. Right before this happened I had just spent over $2400 on hunting gear. :man_facepalming:. I need a new, cheap, light. I xan get a Digital ballast with a batwing reflector and a MH and HPS bulb (which I’ve used for over a decade with great results) for around $170 cad. Are there ANY LED lights that even get close to the results for even near the price point? I can’t seem to find any :man_shrugging: but I have zero experience with LEDS, im set up all old school.

3 Likes

How much space are you trying to light up?

2 Likes

Oh yea, lol, that’s essential… 4x4

1 Like

My favourite light for veg in a 4x4 is a 315 cmh. It kicks ass.

8 Likes

You could try to find a new ballast for your fluorescent.

I don’t think you’ll find LEDs that will do the job for 170 bucks.

I have one that will do a 3x3 at $200 cdn

5 Likes

For veg I’m looking at grabbing one or two of these Durolux DLED8048W 320W LED Grow Light - Over 50% EnergySaving! (4x1.5 Foot | 200W, White | FullSun Seed & Veg) Amazon.com

1 Like

Not sure an LED for a 4x4 can compete with that price. This is the closest I can find but it’s for a 3x3 and still $200

1 Like

This is what I was running

2 Likes

If you have an electrician friend I bet you can replace the part and get that fixture up and running for less than $20

8 Likes

I actually have a few, lol… good call

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

I’ve had great results with the Viparspectra XS lights. High quality components at good prices. Look in the comments at AMZ.com for discount codes since the go on sale frequently.

Here’s a thorough review of their smallest light from a credible source:

3 Likes

I recently made the switch to LED and went with the XS2000’s (each in a 2x4) and so far I’m happy with them.

2 Likes

Hi @Slick1, I checked both the XS1500 and the 2000 with a light meter and the published PPFD map was spot on! There are many great LED lights out now and this is one of them.

Only problem I’ve had is when I’ve underestimated the power of those lights and caused light burn. That’s a good problem to have, easily remedied.

4 Likes

Specially since they’re dimmable which is new to me coming from CMH. It’s good to hear they checked out with the light meter. I had no reason to think they wouldn’t but it’s always good to have it confirmed.

@Nagel420 recommended them initially and @JohnnyPotseed seconded it so I had no reason to expect to be anything than happy with them.

3 Likes

I have leds and mh/hps. I’ve tried several different leds but have never been able to compare to the mh/hps. I currently have 2 Mars hydro tsl 2000’s that are 315w actual draw each and they still don’t come close to one of my 600w hps.
I heard good things about the newest style of leds but don’t plan on spending 1400 just to see if they come close. Old schools not always a bad thing @Jinglepot

1 Like

I have one of their lights. Not bad.

1 Like

600w hps? Are you sure? I say yes. Imop it’s the best. I don’t do mh bulbs. One of the best lights that there is out there. Those lights have the ripple effect. That’s how they work you get the temperature is just right the light goes in waves. This is my opinion from my studying of lights. Do I see a difference between the two yes the one main thing. Money. You still have to cool no matter what.

2 Likes