New horizontal tower/air curtain fan from Vornado

So I’ve been looking around and talking to people about how to get a nice horizontal line of air movement above and under my canopy, or over my hotter lights and for air mix up top where the intake is. A lot of people have said many tower fans don’t like running long-term on their sides, as easy as that would be to do. Most of what I’ve found so far for wet environment-rated horizontal fans have been quite industrial and expensive, with the cheapest greenhouse models around $250-300 if I’m remembering correctly.

Vornado just released a new model in their growing HD Commercial line which are all IP54 or better and built rugged and easily disassembled for regular cleaning. I used the small and large circulators at my last cafe job to refresh (literally) the dying fan array throughout the two floors of kitchens, they were great. This one is marketed as a workbench fan but looks ideal for use in a grow tent in many different ways, from on the floor, up poles, horizontal zip tied to a negative pressure bar, the list of ideas goes on. Check it out, hope this solves a problem or itch for someone out there!

16 Likes

(cough-cough)

But I still love the fan you posted!

8 Likes

That thing is COOL looking. Might get one for the grow space and another for ther garage like in the ad pics. I have a Flippi V6 and I love it, it’s a real bitch to clean but it works really well.

3 Likes

@Pigeonman killer idea with the ceiling mounted, looks like tower fans?? I might have to steal that play from your playbook

3 Likes

Yep! Just tower fans I got used, cleaned up and then took off the base. I had them on the walls making an “X” for airflow but once I got the FC6500 bar light from Mars Hydro I moved them up so the blast straight down through the fixture.

:grin:

You’re not stealing… i’m sharing! :smiley:

Please share back when you set yours up, would love to see how you go about it.

2 Likes

I have a lasko box fan strung up from the ceiling and 2x 31” tower fan in diagonal corners of the tent and so far so good. I guess ill really find out if it was enough airflow come harvest but im really confident its good airflow after i added the box fan.

3 Likes

This one got the Wirecutter best window fan of 2024 and is another option for horizontal flow, I think this would maybe be even better hanging on the ceiling but it wouldn’t stand on the floor or mount as easily. Still, I’d love one of these for my bedroom, and maybe this is a better option for people with hard walled grow rooms or who use a whole bedroom as a lung room.

“For those situations, get the Vornado Transom. It’s quieter and significantly more powerful than any other window fan we’ve tested in nearly a decade, yet it uses half as much energy to get the job done.”

Lasko box fans are underappreciated champions, I have a couple hanging from the ceiling around the house on inner tubes because they’re wobbly enough now to be wacky on the floor, but they still keep going silently. Worst alignment, best motor/bearing durability. I want to find a better fan blade that fits in one and try that someday. For now, if anyone is into 3D printing or wants to have something printed up by an OG like @Bobgrows or @JustANobody here’s a post with links to pattern files for repair and upgrade parts for Lasko box fans and Holmes/Honeywell Blizzard fans as well as similar knockoffs:

2 Likes

Huh! Mr. @Pigeonman you might like this! It’s a vertical hang adaptor ring for Honeywell tower fans:

@JustANobody here’s another file for the printing studio, I’m gonna find you every fan mod and repair part STL out there I swearta gawd

2 Likes

That is very slick.

1 Like

Okay that is neat!

Only concern I had when I ran vertical years back was the motor and connection points were designed to have the weight on top with “down force” versus supporting a hanging weight which would be a “pulling force”. Using the base as the hanging point always felt sketchy so I took it down shortly after and went horizontal.

Had I had strong enough pole shelves I could see myself putting in one in a corner for horizontal movement but I ended up hanging the way you saw.

The 3D printed part your showing totally negates all my worries of hanging upside down and it’s freaking rad as fuck!

Thanks for the great share growmie!

:fist_right: :fist_left:

1 Like

DUDE. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time but I decided until I replace the economy tent or the 8" fan fails to hold off as I’m always tweaking shit but now have reached a point were “the painter can ruin the painting by adding that extra stroke”.

Do you have any pics of this all in play? Always love to see how others do the same thing so we can learn more from each other. :smiley:

Upgrading what I have in place with a better product vs the ones in place is the direction I need to go with any new or new-to-me equipment.

My last expenses towards my growing practice have been in after cultivation processes like rosin, hash and storage.

1 Like