New supplies! Problems germinating 😭

Got a 2nd big light and a different brand of nutes for my 2nd grow. I’ve been trying to germinate some feminized seeds and now I’m kicking myself because I should’ve used some extra “ Who knows what the hell they are” seeds to practice with! I got a seed mat and a propagation dome so I thought I’d be successful. Also using rock wool for the first time. I soaked the rock wool in pH balanced water and everything first, a week later and still no sprouts. I had a lot of wasted seeds and problems last time I tried to germinate… What am I doing wrong? I am using some grow fertilizer from General hydroponics. I really don’t have a formula for seed germination or whatever. Maybe that’s my problem? If anybody has any ideas please let me know :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Never had success with RW cubes, they stay very wet IME. Maybe try rapid rooter plugs instead? Also you could try soaking in some Fulvic acid and aloe.

How old are these seeds?

4 Likes

How hot did the rockwool cubes get with that heat mat? Is it on a temperature controller?

Some heat is good (i keep my clones/seedlings at 25C, due to the hysteretic delay it fluctuates between 24.4 and 26.7), too much heat (above 30C i believe) is not so good. I have never tried with rockwool either. I clone in rockwool, but always germinate them in wet paper towels between two plates on top of the fridge, like many do. Usually pop within a day. Then after the taproot comes out they can get put into whatever not-too-wet medium.

4 Likes

Idk how old the seeds are, but supposedly they’re good ones. Feminized. I had rapid rooter plugs but I wanted to try rockwool for some damn reason lol

I have a heat mat specifically for seedlings so the temp should be perfect. I’m gonna go ahead and try the paper towel method again, really wanted to sprout them right in the rockwool tho

1 Like

Used five of the six good feminized seeds I have, and they ain’t doin nothin but rotting away! Using the paper towel method this time :expressionless:

2 Likes

Hey bud, I won a few (3) feminized seeds I’ll probably never run. Send me a PM with an address and I’ll hook you up. It’s all part of the learning curve.

11 Likes

That rockwool looks much too wet in my opinion. This is what mine looks like - as I was saying earlier I shake them out so that some air comes in. I have drowned seeds before too, as @ReikoX said it is part of learning

Good luck with the next batch!

HH

4 Likes

Thank U! I just decided to germinate with paper towels for now, I will transfer them. Last time when I germinated for my first grow I went through a lot more seeds and now I am kicking myself now that I know how much they cost when you try to buy them from Robert Bergman Lol.

3 Likes

it’s all preference…

I use the paper towel method and it works for me… maybe this will be what turns it back around for you

1 Like

You have to ensure you soak the cubes in PhD water even if they say they are ph stable. Do it a few times and lightly squeeze them each time. I’ve now myself started to use coco jiffy pellets with better success rates. Never tried rapid rooter plugs so I can’t comment on them.

1 Like

I did ph my water, but who knows what happened. The rapid rooter plugs worked, still had probs with germination tho. I’m going back to the paper towels for now lol

3 Likes

Paper towel method is tried and tested. Best success rate I’ve had cracking seeds is in dampened kitchen towel placed inside a zip lock bag placed onto my satellite stb for the warmth. Who needs a heat mat? :rofl:

2 Likes

The advantage to the paper towel method is being able to check on them easily.

5 Likes

Oh I’m just trying too hard :joy:

1 Like

No, it will likely cook your seedlings without a thermostat. Especially in the summer. :wink:

4 Likes

I still use the paper towel method.

The learning curve is start out with rockwool and then not using rockwool. Make that curve shortlived.

If you must insist on using rockwool maybe cover the hole where the seed goes?

5 Likes

I use paper towel in ziplock bag or direct in soil, depending on how the seed looks… if it looks hardened, then the paper towel/ziplock… if it looks relatively fresh, I’ll pop direct in soil.

1 Like

The towel is in a propagation dome, u still think a seedling mat would still be too hot?

I had it in a propagation dome with a towel over it so I’m sure it was dark enough. Idk what happened. I’m gonna nix the rockwool altogether and order some jiffy pellets. What do u think about those?

2 Likes