New users and how to join the community

Thanks for your input. I have seen you to be the generous kind of guy you say you are, I don’t think anyone here could say otherwise. You sir are what the OG spirit is all about. I just noticed today 2 or 3 different people that popped up and asked for seeds on their first post. Kind of bugged me. I get the excitement of this place but in the end people here work hard to make seeds. They pay out of their own pockets to send them to people, it’s the most unique and extraordinary thing I have come across. I just wanted to put something together to show new users that this is not a soup kitchen. You should not just show up with your hand out. Join the community and become active. If you do you will receive all the benefits of this glorious place. If you don’t want to be part of the community than fine, go buy some seeds and happy growing. All are welcome and all can contribute. Even if you are talking about what stoners eat or what music you are listening to.

Again thanks for your input and all you do to make OG such a great place.

12 Likes

Your very welcome and yes just hang around and lurk if you want to lol

Peace and stay safe

3 Likes

Mistakes are the best teacher.

11 Likes

Doug’s been there done that.
Came out fine

4 Likes

There are lots of good people here at OG.
People will be glad to give great advice.
Some people are nervous to trade. Especially those of us in prohibition land.
Just by chatting with a few of you I know the generosity here is great.
If you haven’t been here long just chill, learn grow techniques ,chat and be patient .

6 Likes

You would have to get them to READ the FAQ and such. I read forever before posting.

OG generosity has spread and folks are here for the Freebies and aren’t here to learn or give back.

14 Likes

Thanks for the links, much appreciated.

2 Likes

Thats good, don’t fear making them. Use them as learning tools.

4 Likes

Ive been on a couple of the other small trading forums as well as here and their is a few folk who seem to be out to just get as many seeds as they can and scamming people in trades by not sending back. these guys had a lists as long as your arm and came from a places were there was no shortage of seeds. It didnt seem like this network were even growing the seeds out but were just on a mission to harvest genetics for what reason im not sure. This network changed user names would varify each other ect and this has all been happening over the last 4-5 months. So just be careful guys.

5 Likes

I’ll weigh in here. Ive been at this particular site for a month and a half. Ive been known on boards and the net for a long time. Ive posted moderately doing some grow advice, some interaction with others and some welcoming which i consider “helping” the site. I’ve read the TOU, the FAQ, and a lot of posts. Ive gotten to know some new people and gotten re acquainted with people Ive known in the past. Here’s what i haven’t done. I haven’t turbo posted to the point that most recognize I’m trying way too hard. I haven’t started a topic that’s unneeded and redundant. I haven’t jumped in anywhere and everywhere. Most importantly I’ve NEVER asked anyone for anything EVER. To me that’s rude. When people are ready they will offer…as will I. Pretty simple method that’s worked for decades. Be patient and good things happen. P.S. this is NOT a solicitation for offers as i do not need anything, just a bit a friendly advice from a grower to a new grower…hope this helps.

12 Likes

Hello, I also started a little while ago, I created a diary and another topic with things I plant here, and every time I went to OG, there was always a subject that interested me … I was commenting and I was very well received …

I had never participated in anything, when I came to meet, people treated each other badly, without respect, zero generosity …

Despite the short time, some generous people have already presented me with seeds … I am waiting for the right moment to burst … I have never seen anything like it. .

This is my testimonial …

10 Likes

As far as “earning the seed beggar rights” … it’s up to the giver to set the terms, and there is a private thread for non-public-viewing. :shushing_face:

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

7 Likes

I read, asked for help I couldn’t find. When a couple people pm’ed me to offer seed, I had trouble accepting. That kind of generosity was unknown too me. I don’t bred so, I have found other ways to give back.
:seedling: :green_heart: :four_leaf_clover:

6 Likes

There has been a big push to collect genetics for larger research projects , I met a guy who was working in South America for one of them at a locals BBQ and he had a absolute tantrum that I had landraces and wouldn’t trade with him. Once he calmed down he started trying to talk crazy business with me that I wanted no part of. Then there is Dave who got countless people to send him samples and Steve got thousends of seeds sent to him for a huge project down there. The big agriculture and pharma companies have people out there collecting as much data as they can and it’s been going on for several years if not longer.
They got reef , Steve and a few others on the team already I wouldn’t be suprised if most well known breeders have been approached with a offer. Cannabis has come a long way when your getting messages warning you that if you sell or give out certain plants under certain names you will be sued over tradmark violations smh

7 Likes

:unamused:

:evergreen_tree: pfffffff…

1 Like

I wonder how many strains he realy got sent to him , it was awile ago but he was bouncing round the forums asking for beans and alot of people had mixed feelings about the whole thing. The thing is the world could benefit from this plant even more then it already has but part of that would involve a better understanding of the genome and with that knowledge comes power that I fear will be used to controll the genetics more then to gain a beneficial community understanding of it’s true potential. Even with out everybody sending them stuff they could easily drop what would be a small fortune to most of us buying beans from everybody offering them and have just as large of a sample base. The large scale agricultural modifications to this plant and industry are un avoidable and that is all the more reason to keep the older lines alive and in the hands of public domain. I’d hate to see it bottlenecked down into a few varities that dominate the gene pool, wait isent that already happening as we speak.

8 Likes

Ditto that thought Bostonbud.Patience is a virtue.
I got plenty of seeds and really don’t need more.
There are others that need these more than myself.
I’ve made some acquaintances here that I know soon I will call good friends.
You know the kind of good friends you will bring a truck and help move them.

3 Likes

That’s why you stay off the beaten path.
No possibility of bottlenecking in your harem.
Big company’s are the ones who need to worry about this, not us “boutique” growers.
If you aint got a good collection by now, ya better have at it.

5 Likes

I’ve met people just like that. I’m not an overly trusting person to begin with but those are the kind that 10 minutes after you meet them you feel like taking a shower to get the ick washed away.

3 Likes

Hey everyone I’m DGCloud not an old school member but this is a great community for sure we are all here to help with what we can so please return the favor also.

5 Likes