Norstar Genetics Elite Tester Program 2022-2023

I decided to go ahead and try some of Norstar Genetics gear last summer, and pulled the trigger on their tester program.

It only cost $200 and I will be getting 8 packs of seeds total.

I just have to fill out a grow report form they have and take pics in late flower or of finished buds.

If I send 2-4 reports I’ll get half off the cost of testing next year. If I send 4-8 next year I can be a tester for free. If I don’t send any at all I won’t be allowed to become a tester next year.

I honestly was hyped to try some of their gear as they still use a few Subcool Originals in breeding, like Jesus OG and Pennywise for example.

I also noticed they have several Apollo 13 crosses available, which is also another personal favorite of mine.

In veg, I currently have one plant of their strain SETI(Apollo 13 x Jesus OG ) revegging, as I didn’t have space to clone it before flower and also I have 7 plants of their tester strain Humboldt Fog( UK cheese x W.C.S.D.)

I started 8 beans to get hopefully 4-6 females but one was a non-growing mutant so I culled it.

47 Likes

One of the lucky 10! That’s awesome, keep us updated! Welcome to the community.

4 Likes

Excellent! I will follow your cultivation, I’ve always been curious about norstar’s genetics, especially because these crosses have the work of subcool

3 Likes

Awesome to see this! I used to distribute seeds for Norstar in Sacramento, great company. On the Subcool crosses, Joel and Subcool used to collaborate quite a bit before Subcool’s passing, especially after the wild fire that was detrimental to Subcool. The Subcool strains aren’t just reproduction or knockoffs, they’re actual stock from Subcool. Joel had also had the same arrangement with Gooeybreeder seeds in the past, so the real gems out there are the Subcool and Gooeybreeder crosses that Joel put together himself. Very lucky to have the whole catalog from that year, some of my most prized beans in my collection. Which strains did you get in the tester pack?

17 Likes

I got Humboldt Fog (UK cheese x WCSD) and I got Mendo Margarita (Old Mendo Haze x Salted Afgoo)

I only had room to start with one strain, so I choose the Humboldt Fog, but I will germinate the Mendo Margarita next!

12 Likes

Welcome to the OG @Weednerd.Anthony !

I will be following along with your journey… :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Yes sir, Joel and Sub were very close friends as well as partners in reproducing his work after the fire.

Since I discovered genetic supply I’ve bought all the Subcool strains I could grab before they’re gone for good.

I have Querkle, JTR, Vortex, Cherrygasm, Dairy Queen, Qush, Scarlet Queen, Jesus OG, JC2, Jack Skellington, Pennywise, 3rd Dimension, Jillybean, Cheesequake, Qleaner.

Off the Subcool originals menu, I am only missing Ripped Bubba, Deep Purple, Hurkle, and The Void.

Sadly, The Void sold out, but the other 3 are still available.

I will update this thread with all the test strains I get from them as I grow them out, it’s very exciting to see what they send me!

Two more packs are supposed to arrive in early December! I can’t wait ! Lol

22 Likes

Very cool! I have a lot of the crosses I’d like to make more of but not in a position to do that right now

3 Likes

Same here brother I want to make F2s of most of them, but working with limited space at the moment but hopefully will be expanding in the next year or two.

6 Likes

Welcome! I’m so glad you decided to make a spot over here! Thanks to @MonsterDrank for the help putting us in touch, much appreciated dude!:pray:

5 Likes

Glad I could help. Looking forward to 2023 and the Vortex of possibilities.

4 Likes

Definitely man thanks again @MonsterDrank I’m so happy to be able to help with this Vortex preservation!!

4 Likes

Oh man that’s a hell of a tester program! I normally am against paying to test but that actually seems like a pretty decent deal, $25 a pack the first year and then if you’re the real deal, testing and reporting, it goes down. Makes a lot of sense, actually, Joel’s clearly been doing this a while.

8 Likes

I have an unopened pack of The Void. Maybe could be donated to a repro/coop in the future.

8 Likes

Yeah man I love the idea of the prices going down in becoming free once you report every strain they give you.

And the report is very detailed so that alone is going to make me a little bit more skilled at noting all the details during a run, to look back on in the future, and not just going more off of memory, experience, and intuition.

Nothing wrong with not taking notes as I used to not do that very much, but it helps repeat things that went well and stay on top of everything at the same time !

Joel certainly is a good dude and an awesome breeder, he’s one of the good guys left in this industry in my opinion.

6 Likes

Dude we have to preserve that with the community here and share it of course, I want to do preservation runs with and share all of my Subcool strains if I can.

7 Likes

@Fitzera

15 Likes

NorStar seeds are usually pretty stable. I treat my testers like any “proven seed”. Honestly some of the crosses are better imo then what you might find on the menu.

4 Likes

I’ve only grown Norstar gear a couple times before becoming a tester, but each run I’ve had with their gear was very nice.

I did SETI( Apollo 13 x Jesus OG) last run I loved it so much, very terpy and Apollo like in initial flavor, with effects that are heady and focused like Apollo 13, with some body to it that builds and eases into a relaxing kushy heavy stoned effect like the Jesus OG in it.

Very nicely done balanced hybrid. I may need to get another pack it was so delicious.

10 Likes

It’s the least I can do!

This got me thinking about Norstar…I have a couple old packs that I’ve never dug into…Lands End and Solar Winds freebie. I think I passed over the Lands End due to hearing their Frisco OG wasn’t the best and I’d never been able to find info on the solar winds…which I just found is (Purple urkle x chernobyl) x Purple Mayhem…hmm

4 Likes