Not Just Another Tincture Thread

Everyone should have an edibles drawer.

12 Likes

Here’s one for the group…

I am going to pick up some shake to make some oil (going to use Iso as I can’t get any liquor above 100 proof - DPRofK sucks) and I know the process and understand how to do it. The question is, how in the hell do I figure out the strength? I will probably use am ounce of shake (maybe 2 depending on the cost and how much I have) which is 12-13 percent CBD level.

Do I need to worry about how much Iso I start with?

2 Likes

I dont recommend ISO, please do not drink ISO. :skull_crossbones:
You should take it all the way down to oil, then follow the instructions for using concentrates. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

I planned on taking it down to oil. I am primarily using for the dog, so can’t have any alcohol, and $75 a month for CBD oil is an impossibility. I can get 2oz of shake (13% CBD) for about $70 and should make enough to last until my Cherry is ready.

What do you think about using VG, for him, instead of bringing it down to oil? Taste isn’t a factor, so I can do what I did before for vape and do a quick steep (two hours in an oil bath).

The problem I have is the state won’t allow above 100 proof. I can get “Culinary Spirits” sent in, but last time I checked it was about $100 a liter.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with taking it down to oil. Problem with glycerine is you need so much per dose…

2 Likes

Try MCT oil or coconut oil to transfer into. My dog absolutely freaks over coconut to the point if I give her a choice of meat, peanut butter, or coconut oil she’ll choose the Coconut oil every time before going to the peanut butter and then the meat. IDK specifically that it is about coconut oil that makes her go crazy, but I’m not complaining. It’s good for her coat LoL

3 Likes

How do you make the coconut oil?

2 Likes

Solvent tansfer. You let the tincture sub-boil and evaporate away without letting it reach it’s boiling temperature. You can also let it evaporate naturally. When you get RSO you’ll want to add the coconut oil in equal volume to the RSO and gently heat. @ReikoX will have a better phrasing, but essentially you just have to grab the oil off the shelf(do not buy a cheap brand like Crisco or you get fake/adulterated coconut oil). MCT oil is better, but coconut oil is better prices for a similar product with tbh minimal difference in potency. MCT really only let’s it be more concentrated and let’s it be technically vapable, but coconut oil is better for dogs imo. The amino acids and other compounds in coconut oil outweigh the supposed downside to it.

2 Likes

I know mine is weaker that Grain Alcohol tincture, (I despise almost anything alcoholic) but I used 99% pure Food Grade Vegetable Glycerin to make my 1st batch. I have a Levo extraction machine that I made it in…I expanded the # of pods in the Levo to hold 1/2 ounce of decarbed bud & used 1/2 cup of Glycerin (the min. in the Levo)for 5 hrs at 162d F…results were stellar!!:slight_smile:

I used to decarb in my accurate oven, but bought myself an Ardent Lift…What a difference!! I hated the $$ and it is made cheaply ($180!), but the results are superior to anything I made before.

7 Likes

Alternatively for the doggo you can do the quick and dirty method of taking a small amount of trim(preferably fan leaves over sugar leaves) and mixing with your dogs favorite paste snack. Mine loves peanut butter. At one point I trained her to know it’s time for meds if she hears a shaking pill bottle or smells peanut butter. Eventually she just associated the smell and sound combination as a treat that makes her feel better in her old age. 10.5yo American Bulldog.

I don’t recommend doing this unless you know if your dog is big enough to handle it and if they enjoy getting high, but THC-A is something my dog benefits greatly from. CBD works around 2x less efficient than thca ime, but THC makes her puke. It’s not anything to do with the fine hairs like it’s believed to be. If that were the case grass and paper would trigger it too. At least in my dogs case she likes THC-A+CBD. Not every day, but each 3 days at least unless she’s looking like she’s in pain that day. Without the thca she doesn’t eat much. Aside from a mild loss in appetite she’s nice and healthy. I want at least another 3.5 years minimum with her. Longer if I can manage it.

I just give her a fan leaf or 2 and coat it in peanut butter. She swallows it whole.

I should specify when I say thc without the A I’m specifically meaning psychoactive THC. Dogs don’t all like to get high. Mine does, but on her terms and not a shotgun. She’ll chill in the room hotboxing until she’s good and heads to take a nap and when she wakes up she’s a whole new puppy. From droopy dog to Snoopy. Night and day difference in appearance

Edit: I caught my typo🤦🏻‍♂️ I give it to her each 3 days minimum. Usually once a week.

6 Likes

Actually I was giving him CBD oil and he had a drastic improvement. He even bounded across the room and jumped on the couch, which he hadn’t done in a long time. He would try and get stuck half way and struggled to get his upper half back down. An accomplishment at 13-1/2 and 95#. Problem is I just can’t afford to keep giving it to him. I tried cutting down the dose, but it didn’t really work. I was hoping to have my Freedom dream ready by now, but we know how that worked out.

I have found a few places that have decent priced isolate and I thought I would try that. Mixing 1g with hem oil will give me a 33mg dose, which I could even cut back a bit and make it last a bit longer. That to me would be the easiest. The best I found was about $35 with shipping. My hope is to find a solution that I can do with little money and less out lay to keep him feeling good for as long as I can. Me, I can just steep some weed in some VG and vape it and feel better.

3 Likes

CBD isolate in MCT oil works wonders for my mother.

5 Likes

The only problem I have with Coconut oil is it tends to solidify and I was giving the CBD oil to him in his food. I would put a dropper (1ml) of 500mg in his food every day. If I could figure out an equivalent in tsp or TBSP, that would be okay.

2 Likes

A teaspoon is roughly 5ml and a tablespoon 15ml. MCT oil is what you want then, it stays liquid at room temp.

2 Likes

Isn’t MCT just a category?

3 Likes

It stands for Medium Chain Triglycerides usually derived from coconut oil.

4 Likes

and stays in the liquid form instead of hardening up like coconut oil does

2 Likes

Never mind. I actually found some on Amazon.

So, I guess the easiest way would be to slightly heat an ounce of it and mix with the Isolate?

On the subject of shake and bud, I have seen where you take the oil (coconut, olive, etc) and warm it, mix in the flower, and steep it for 24 hours. That sound so much easier that mixing with alcohol, evaporating it off and then mixing with the oil.

5 Likes

That’s totally possible and may be a better way for you to process the trim.

3 Likes

Saludos carnaliens de OG

Here I show you the way I do the extraction of RSO.

I freeze cannabis and alcohol separately

after 24 hours in the freezer I mix the alcohol with the cannabis and freeze them for 10 minutes

then I take them out and shake them for 5 minutes and back to the freezer until the cannabis settles again

I filter it 3 times

first

second

third

then I put it to the double boiler

after 2 and a half hours I finished with this

5.2 grams of RSO from 31.4 of cannabis

9 Likes