Not Just Another Tincture Thread

Love the process. I’ll have to go all out filtering again in the future

2 Likes

Google Coconut oil that stays liquid at room temps…I got some at Wally World.
https://www.betterbodyfoods.com/liquid-coconut-oil-vs-solid-coconut-oil/

2 Likes

Walgreens carries it actually

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It’s pretty much the same process outlined in this thread.

3 Likes

I don’t know whether this would be “hijacking the thread” but I have a question.

I know how to calculate concentration of CBD in oil, using isolate:

purity of isolate / amount of oil = mg /ml
i.e. 995mg/30ml = 33.4 mg/ml

BUT…

How would you calculate using flower/shake? For my purposes, I am using 56.4g of sahke with CBD level of 13%. The problem is, as of now, I have no idea as to how much oil, as I really don’t know how much volume that amount would be. Would I add enough to just cover it, or a set amount per gram? Let’s assume 500ml. Tell me if I am correct:

total grams x1000g/mg x concentration / amount of oil
i.e. 56.4g x1000 x 0.13 /500ml
56400 x 0.13 = 7332 mg
7332mg / 500ml = 14.67mg/ml

Am I even close?

You’re pretty close. Typically we only get about 75% of the total cannabinoids with this method. So, I use the following to get mg/ml.

(Total grams * 1000 * concentration * extraction efficiency) / total milliliter.

56.4g * 1000 * 0.13 * 0.75 / 500ml = 10.998 mg / ml

3 Likes

I did read that somewhere. So I can just increase the mg/ml by cutting down the amount of oil then. I would guess that I probably wouldn’t recover all of the oil I started with.

2 Likes

Yes, by reducing the alcohol you increase the concentration. See the reduction instructions at the beginning of this thread.

https://www.fieldsofhempllc.com/strains/shaketrim

So fields of hemp is selling 1 oz of shake/trim for $30.00 - 20% grand opening discount. Shipping was $3.00 flat in US. I bought a pack of small buds a week ago from them. Shipping was quick.

Has anyone thought about running a half and half tincture run to boost CBD levels to go with the activated THC?
I have been blending flower from both CBD hemp and THC cannabis lately and I have to say… I like it.

My stash lasts longer for less money, I stay medicated. I am not as “out of it”, and I have a clearer head.

I am getting Special Sauce and Sour Space Candy next.

2 Likes

My favorite kind of tincture is a 1:1 THCA:CBDA tincture. I call it my rescue medication and it works better on me than Xanax. I have a single cultivar that is 1:1, but no reason you cant mix flower types.

You may find it cheaper or easier to simply add CBD isolate to your THC tinctures to get the desired effect. I make a tincture with rosin, isolate, and MCT oil for my mother.

Here is a link

4 Likes

@Stusatwork, I looked at that site. They look pretty good. The only thing is they do not have CBD levels for the shake (confirmed by email, they don’t test it).

Here’s the question, does any one know if there is a general rule as to what the reduction in level may be (ball park, like expect a 30% reductions, etc)?

4 Likes

I would think to be safe call it half the strength of buds? Then of course test tincture strengths after that. So if you buy a strain that test 20% CBD flower I would think the shake and trim would be 10%. Does that seem about right to anyone else?

4 Likes

I would say yes, or about that but I have seen some that show 18% in bud and 12 or 14% in shake. I was kinda figuring that 40 or 50% would be right. It was weird that this one place actually had results posted for shake.

3 Likes

??? WTF? It’s red!

3 Likes

You’ve got my attention now @WMoon518. Interesting and sounds too easy. I’d like to try it with sugar leaf and tiny buds. Thanks! I’m assuming the end product is for edibles.
:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Actually, it’s for CBD oil for my dog.

3 Likes

Keep me in the loop. My dog may not be unique in that a full spectrum profile works best with the entourage effect like how it works for us. Same reason why if my bud induced anxiety I wouldn’t give it to her. Dogs are more sensitive to the effects of cannabis. 5mg CBD is her high dose when she’s having problems.

I was giving him CBD Oil that I was buying locally and it really help. He went from having trouble getting up, to running and jumping onto the couch. He hadn’t been able to do that for at least six months. Not bad for 14yo and 95#. It worked so I had no thought to give him any THC in the mix. I was giving him 1/2 ml of 500mg (8mg/dose) so I may give him a bit more for the first few days and settle down to a maintenance dose.

I forgot to ask, how is she doing?

2 Likes

Really good actually. With THC I’ll specify that THC-A is what I’d recommend if you thought they’d need psychoactive THC down the line. Prep their heart for the strain

1 Like

First and foremost …

Please do correct me if I have my facts messed up… … that being said…
I do believe that thc% seed companies advertice IS NOT thc% of the weight of bud !!! (as you use it in this example)

Second … if we use high proof ethanol (alcohol) - as near to pure as one can get … dont we leave water soluble terpentines behind?!? ( I am looking for medical usages rather than recreational use)

5 Likes