Nutrient feeding

I wanted a place to put interesting things about plant feeding.

A little extra magnesium can also be helpful during fruiting and flowering. Bloom and boost formulas are usually higher in phosphorus to provide extra energy in the form of ATP, but magnesium orients the ATP molecules so that the phosphate bonds can be cleaved. Magnesium also activates many enzymes that can perform thousands of chemical reactions per second! Therefore, magnesium sulfate can intensify the effect of high-energy phosphates in hydroponic vegetable production.
So mag can cleave phos. I find that cool.

7 Likes

As a particle of fertilizer comes in contact with the soil, moisture from the soil will begin dissolving the particle. Dissolving of the fertilizer increases the soluble phosphate in the soil solution around the particle and allows the dissolved phosphate to move a short distance away from the fertilizer particle. Movement is slow but may be increased by rainfall or irrigation water flowing through the soil. As phosphate ions in solution slowly migrate away from the fertilizer particle, most of the phosphate will react with the minerals within the soil. Phosphate ions generally react by adsorbing to soil particles or by combining with elements in the soil such as calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), aluminum (Al), and iron (Fe), and forming compounds that are solids. The adsorbed phosphate and the newly formed solids are relatively available to meet crop needs.

A general sequence of reactions in alkaline soils is the formation of dibasic calcium phosphate dihydrate, octocalcium phosphate, and hydroxyapatite. The formation of each product results in a decrease in solubility and availability of phosphate. In acidic soils (especially with soil pH less than 5.5) Al is the dominant ion that will react with phosphate. In these soils the first products formed would be amorphous Al and Fe phosphates, as well as some Ca phosphates. The amorphous Al and Fe phosphates gradually change into compounds that resemble crystalline variscite (an Al phosphate) and strengite (an Fe phosphate). Each of these reactions will result in very insoluble compounds of phosphate that are generally not available to plants. Reactions that reduce P availability occur in all ranges of soil pH but can be very pronounced in alkaline soils (pH > 7.3) and in acidic soils (pH < 5.5). Maintaining soil pH between 6 and 7 will generally result in the most efficient use of phosphate

6 Likes

Unlike animals, plants do not derive amino acids by consuming other organisms. Therefore, all 20 of these amino acids must be synthesized by the plant. A challenge lies in the fact that proteins have a finite life span and must be constantly translated from m-RNA in order for plant growth and development to continue. This means that there must be a ready supply of all 20 amino acids for protein synthesis and ultimately plant growth and development occur.

2 Likes

If you want to learn how plants synthesize amino acids.
https://s10.lite.msu.edu/res/msu/botonl/b_online/e19/19e.htm

1 Like

Here is a bit more.

Abstract
Calcium movement in plants is unidirectional, moving up from the roots and generally routed to meristematic zones and young tissue. Once deposited in leaf tissue it is not recycled, even under calcium stress conditions.The upward movement of calcium takes place in the transpiration stream through the xylem. The calcium ions do not move by mass flow but by a series of exchange reactions along negatively charged sites on the walls of the xylem vessels. Movement can be promoted by the presence of divalent cations and by chelation of the calcium ion. There is considerable lateral leakage of calcium from the xylem.There is overwhelming evidence to show that calcium is not translocated in the sieve tubes of the phloem despite the presence of small amounts in phloem exudates. Calcium appears to be selectively excluded from the sieve tube, possibly to prevent interference with the translocation processes.Foliar applied calcium is normally immobile, but can be induced to translocate by the saturation of adsorption sites in the leaf with divalent cations or by chelation. Best evidence shows that the calcium moves in a reverse xylem flow down water‐potential gradients.The import of calcium into fruit diminishes with development and virtually stops with the onset of the rapid intake of photosynthates via the phloem. As a consequence, fruit are inherently low in calcium. Buried storage organs acquire most of their calcium directly from the substrate and not from the plant.In woody plants, the upward movement of calcium is relatively slow with much accumulation in the bark and little in the wood. In the herbaceous plant, calcium is rapidly immobilized, whereas in the apple, calcium continues to move up the tree over a number of seasons. This secondarily translocated calcium comes from reserves in the root and lower shoot, and is a major source of calcium for the new growth at the beginning of the season.

Movement of calcium in plants. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249072293_Movement_of_calcium_in_plants [accessed May 22, 2017].

2 Likes

Here is some info on citric acid benefits.

1 Like

i follow my own,feeding general hydroponics.

Do you mean you follow your own feeding schedule?

Yea @ryasco

1 Like

can you drink it? :wink:

I’m still in veg ! 4 :seedling: plants still showing no signs of sex (they’re feminists seeds).2 :seedling: plants showing preflowers.one plant showed signs of cracking on the :leaves: leaves fed with on 1/4 teaspoon (7.5ml) of nutrient solution.
I’m currently aiming to maximize nutrient uptake where the plant can sustain maximum uptake of nutrients.

I’ve never used Floragro. Too maximize metabolism keep your girls as happy as possible. :grin:

I reread your post and realized 1/4 tsp is 1.25 ml not 7.5. I don’t know if that was a typo or if you overfed.

I read the syringe wrong you’re correct (1.5) not (7.5).

1 Like

I thought some might like looking at this.

https://www.thenutrientcompany.com/horticulture/calculators/fermented-plant-juice-calculator/

2 Likes