Ocean Forest soil vs ....?

Been using Fox farms ocean forest for years with the complete Botanicare line . Lately I’ve noticed more bug problems and kind of assume its the soil quality? Not sure if anyone has had the same issues lately? A few bags back I even found a rusty nail in a bag! I’m needing to re up on dirt. Figure someone may have a good recommendation for something different that’s readily available? Much appreciated

6 Likes

I use ocean forest also been looking to switch maybe recently tried out happy frog it definitely needs more perlite out of the bag I also tried cyco coco with castings and think I may have gotten nagts from it so I’m back on the ocean forest

4 Likes

Unfortunately with organic bagged soil no matter the brand there is always a chance of bugs coming with it. Especially gnats. FWIW, roots organic original seems to be fairly clean of sticks, stems, rocks and bugs. I run a mix of Roots original, promix bx, worm castings, and added perlite. Jetdro turned me onto the mix and i really love it. It requires feeding throughout veg and flower though. Not much nutrients in it once its all mixed up.

4 Likes

I use botanicare PBP in pro mix hp myco.

Works good. I like the idea of organic but this just feels easier for me.

4 Likes

See if you can find Coast of Maine Stonington Blend…everything added, water only. All, do stay safe/be well.

3 Likes

I used happy frog and then switched to Ocean. If memory is right , it worked better for starts from my experience. Just a thought is there any natural gnat deterent could mix in the soil? Mint leaves or similar? I guess I’ll buy a few choices and compare side by side

2 Likes

Ocean forest will burn the shit out of seedlings.

3 Likes

OF is too hot for seedlings and young clones
When I did soul I’d start off with happy frog then up pot to OF
Now just pro mix

4 Likes

Based on reviews, I’ve been wanting to try coast of Maine stoneington blend, but back ordered.

1 Like

I use black gold for starts then ocean forest when they get up a bit,ocean forest will burn the shit out of young plants

2 Likes

I ended up getting a mix made by the store I frequent . They sold me on it but I did find out about “diatomaceous earth”. Im blown away never heard of it. Seems like the cure all for gnats, mites and related

1 Like