Octopot Grow System

i have succesfully germinated a fem auto seedling in a (albeit micro but should still work) octopot without using a dome or anything. i walked by it 20mins before and the middle wasnt completely bone dry yet, came back and it was and this guy was poking through. outside in 85F/40RH baking in the sun.
applications for autoflowers in these (and obviously the 3gal octopots) seem very interesting, especially given some breeds not liking to be transplanted.

3 Likes

I have a question about Octopots for those who have done a couple runs - do they allow for organic amended soil? Would I have to switch to nutes + the soil mix they recommend?

Your plants all look monstrously awesome. :slight_smile: @SaintAliasKnife what size tent are you using?

1 Like

Not recommended by the manufacturer.

What kind of growing media should I use with Octopot Grow Systems?

Octopot Grow Systems require a high quality well-aerated growing media that promotes high air capacity. Sunshine® Mix #4 is a professional growing media that works well right out of the bag. The perfect blend of growing media for Octopot Grow Systems has 60/40 ratio, specifically 60% high quality soilless mix (peat moss, bark, etc) with 40% perlite. Perlite creates spaces between soil particles allowing air, water and nutrients to flow to plant roots. Perlite should be blended throughout the soil. Never layer perlite and soil or fill any part of the Grow Sleeve with perlite alone. Octopot Grow Systems may also be used with sustainable Coco coir blends such as Foxfarm Coco Loco. Peat moss and coco blends also work well, but Octopot recommends every blend include 40% perlite.

WARNING Do not use super Soils with Octopot Grow Systems. Super soils are generally too heavy and hold too much moisture limiting air exchange which damages roots. Nutrients in super soils tend to be used up too early and run out too soon in the growth cycle.

Most of us run a fairly inert soil mix and let the plants consume their nutes via the reservoir. YMMV, of course. I don’t believe I’ve seen reports of anyone who has tried it

Edit to add a pic:
NL x Super Skunk @ week 5, and I just moved the two Consumption x Chocolate Thai plants in this morning.

That’s in a 4x8 tent. I don’t consume as much bud as I grow, so I’m cool with giving the plants tons of room and having fewer of them. I use ProMix HP with a little more perlite added.

9 Likes

thanks. its a 3x3x6. No, I’ve only ever used sterile media. No dirt inside the house.

3 Likes

I tried adding 10-20% organic supersoil along with promix & perlite on some of my early octopot experiments even tho it isn’t recommended. It worked all the way to harvest, but not in comparison to the suggested mix. The plants were smaller and way slower for the roots to hit the reservoir.

@Nagel420 also did a micro octo run with pure enriched soil and I think it also worked, just not as well.

‘Not worth exploring further’ was my conclusion. :-1:

FWIW,
-Grouchy

4 Likes

If you’re looking for organic amended/super soil, check out some of the SIP threads. Earthbox, City Picker, DIY, etc. methods have the same principle as octopots but with organic amended soil versus peat/perlite + soluble nutes.

Here’s a thread about SIPs with a healthy summary and lots of other links included. https://overgrow.com/t/crunchberries-probiotic-sip-thread/78727

5 Likes

going to assume the 6gal octos dont require a glue strip for the orange part of the depth guage as it didnt come with any… guess i can just use gorilla glue.

Alright gotta ask. My self I’ve been using the 13 gal grow bags Chris did for like a year. Well now he doesn’t make the bags that size anymore. By chance anyone snagged a few for them selves that would be willing to part with 6 lol. I guess I could re stitch them myself but I’m thinking after a few years running them indoor,then outdoor,then Indoor, then outdoors,t hen indoors, then outdoors has taken its toll.

2 Likes

Octopot still sells the 12 gallon(not sure about the 13) pots.

1 Like

The Orange part just pushes on it wont go anywhere. I wouldn’t glue it. I take the depth gauges out when cleaning etc. so they don’t get damaged.

3 Likes

I’ve lost the orange ball gauge still works fine.

2 Likes

Thank you. Been a minute since I’ve looked. Guess it’s 12 gals.

1 Like

Just go to the store and get a similar one in the fishing dept.

1 Like

Hey there, what type of lights are these? I don’t recall seeing these type of lights before.

Thinking I might move this girl inside to induce flowering possibly finish her indoors.

12 Likes

Nice :+1: she’s a beast and a beauty

2 Likes

Mountain Temple, still hasn’t shown sex

8 Likes

Regards to all
Need little advice.
Here are the unfertilized substrates that I can get.

Which would be more suitable for octopot?

https://klasmann-deilmann.com/en/fields-of-application/medicinal-cannabis/medical-cannabis-substrates/
Thanks

Wow I like this

I’ve heard a lot about white peat ! I can’t fined it in the states

I would try the course type or medium course

Paps

3 Likes

Thanks @Papalag
Again :slight_smile: