Ohio Outdoor Strategy 2021

Bud Rot was the deciding factor on when to pull the plants in Ohio last season. Had to yank early from seeing powdery mold on the leaves in early Oct last year. I feel this state just doesn’t cut it for finishing dense buds like NL type plants. Any Ohio growers have specific strains that finish in our weird climate?

1 Like

Just North of you and that is why I grow indoors. Too cold & too dry. Too hot & too humid. Our weather sucks. I gave up my outside gardening a long time ago.

3 Likes

Sucks every year I get all stoked and grow huge beastsof plants that do not finish. Ohio is shit for weed growing unless I think you are in full sun all day and really prepare for mildew and bugs but still seems larfy weed not finished. Still love the gorilla grows love the action so I wlll try try again like a dumbazz until like you I get smart and go indoors.NE Ohio here BTW AKron Canton area.

1 Like

I won’t hold that against you guys. lol (go green, go white) but we share sucky weather.
I spent time in Median/Wooster showing our Pygmy Goats. Missed the teasing banter of MI vs Ohio.

2 Likes

My thought process lately(being from michigan) is to find out what plants do work outdoors and keeping mothers/clones of the plants that do work. Which I have not done but that’s what I’m going to do from now on. I’ve grown a couple outdoor that I wish I held onto. One was dragonblood hash plant from Bodhi.

3 Likes

I share the outdoor pain. I’m not in OH but upper midwest great lake region as well. About 46.5 North. I’ve had a couple outdoors and its rough going. The cool damp that takes over in the fall results in pulling early nearly every year. I’ve had plants finish, but last year mostly went to hash as the flower was mostly hay. Haha. So this guy has plans for a greenhouse to continue going in the future. I also picked up a couple thousand watts of LED’s in the form of quantum boards. They are mostly unassembled that this point. I think I have one QB135 built so I better get my ass in gear quick with the rest of the lights I have. I’ll keep putting a couple outside but will definitely need a fast finisher that is PM and pest resistant. Definitely need to try a bunch and select only the ones that work and ditch the rest. Sorry for the FRAT.

3 Likes

Autos are practically made for mid/high latitude outdoor growing. Harvest in mid-late Summer when it’s still warm and dry, instead of late September, early October when the rains start. Get an even earlier jump by starting them indoors around late April and setting them out after last frost, around late May/early June.

3 Likes

Never looked into ‘em. Maybe it high time that I check some autos out. Any recommendation on strain or breeder?

1 Like

I’ve only grown a dozen in my whole life, I’m not much of an OD guy these days. Probably more than 10 years ago at this point. Just the fem freebies from European seedbank orders…Blimburn, Barney’s Farm, etc.

Most were just as good as the photoperiod plants, since OD only gets so good anyway and weed you can actually harvest is way better than weed you lose to rot, cops, and rippers. I may not be the guy to ask, just not my area of expertise on what’s good these days.

2 Likes

fast buds from www.oaseeds.com

1 Like

Peak’s Northern lights and the GG#4 JW cut have been mold proof for me outdoors. All others have had mold to one degree or another.

3 Likes