Ok I need help from my pros here at og, exhaust from the bottom? Anyone ever do it?

I’m building a 5x5 tent using a gavita pro 1700e

The question is… will it hurt to vent from the bottom with ac infinity fan and carbon filter?

I’ve had issues with heat not being enough under led at times causing not enough uptake, was a pretty bad ordeal plants died slowly basically…

So pulling hot air from the top down through plants … will that make a mess of the plants or help them? I’d gain almost a foot of height if put in bottom…

Anyone done it this way before? Please chime in and let me know… I’m kinda waiting to decide :thinking: :sweat_smile:

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

🪴 :seedling: :herb: :green_heart:

3 Likes

heat rises so id pull from the top and yes i saw you had lack of heat issues previous, question though what did you have your fan set at ? as one can always lower their fan speed and or adjust the set-points to maintain a higher heat level within your space, this is barring say growing in a really cold enviroment

2 Likes

Well before it was a colder environment… a basement… now it’s a regular room … so not quite as cold by say 10 degrees f. So instead of 60 degrees more like 70 now ambient room tempnoitaide tent

My fan was set at like a 6 at the time…

Before I was in a 75 inch tall tent… I had to make it fit so I shortened bars and sinched the tent with clips everywhere to avoid bagginess…
That tent is in a shed in a trash bag now lol… now I have a new gorilla 5x5 that’s exactly 7 foot 11 inches tall… so it is much bigger around and tall… so I feel like it’ll be even worse for heat not being there…

that a cold basement if 10f “-12C”

But yeah now that your in a room in the 60-70 range yeah just run the filter at the top and adjust your fan speed to compensate as you have plenty to slow down if needed.

2 Likes

I will say this… it definitely got warmer… I had a test run 2 weeks ago and at 69 percent it got to 88 degrees… but that was venting in the room… I will be venting out a window outside when I’m done building it… so it will stay much cooler w ac air feeding it at 71 to 72 degrees

Not cheap, but tested with negative temps and it just work well. Worth the cost in term of yield.

1 Like

Well I’m wanting to vent from bottom if I can… the question is ultimately will it hurt to do that?

No lol we are getting off on wrong foot… I want to see if pulling hot air from top will naturally help that issue… or will it be bad? Has anyone known anyone to vent from the bottom before?

1 Like

can always change it later but ill say this always better to be in a situation where you can just slow your fan down to a point vs not being able to remove excess heat, just make sure you have a circulation fan in the tent regardless

4 Likes

I will have 4 tall fans attached to the outer poles of my tent… this is what I’ll be using on each corner

1 Like

and people do vent from the bottom at times, just isn’t the norm or efficient way to do it, but its not rules in stone here, do what works for you.

4 Likes

Well, that’s what I was thinking… since I had to add a heater before costing more electric… if I just simply vented from the bottom wouldn’t it be similar to adding a heater kind of?

The gavita pro 1700e runs ridiculously cool…

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone do this before as far as venting from the bottom. LEDs changed the game. I would think a simple seedling mat along with some kind of foam floor should help keep temps up but would of course cost. I’m interested in seeing what you do.

1 Like

I figure the space at the bottom I need less… as it’s just pots etc… the 1 thing that is concerning is it is only on 1 side, vs… up top it can be more center. So idk what that would mean for the plants on the opposite side, circulation is pretty awesome with those 4 vertical fans so maybe it won’t matter… I mean it doesn’t blow like a hurricne… because I turn em down to either lowest or mid setting… mid is pretty windy in there.
I didn’t have the charcoal filter in the tent last time with the shorter 4x4 tent… I had the fan and the filter outside the tent… air blowing out of filter not sucking in…

1 Like

That’s why I had to buy a new ac charcoal filter lol…

1 Like

When it came to upping temps I used a small heater and it kept things in the 85 degree range for me, which is around what I was needing back then for the right uptake in the plants

1 Like

So that’s what I mean since the gavita seems to get to 88 f at 100 percent (correction from earlier I said 60 percent… it was 100 percent) in the room without venting outside the room…

When I do vent out the window… which is how it’s getting set up… it should be able to easily stay below 86 °f yeah?

Maybe the best is just another test run… with everything full power for a test I suppose will be the tell all… but if it all pans out… will pulling heat through the plants be hard on them? Or just help with more uptake? That’s the main question here…

1 Like

I would imagine you would be ok. Stomata won’t know the difference in which way air is being cycled. I wouldn’t imagine it would induce any stress so I think it’s worth a shot. My tent runs about 83 peak and usually around 80 consistently with minimal draw backs to transpiration rates. Ideally I would be a bit higher but RH can always be adjusted. :pray:

I would possibly run it at 80% if temps are too high. Low ppfd only hurts yield numbers not so much quality nowadays.

2 Likes