Old nutrients question

I have some 10 year old general hydroponic nutes. Id be nervous to use them. has anyone had experience using old hydro nutes.

There’s contradictory information in their website: icon_e_confused|nullxnull

3 Likes

I’ve use my old Technaflora BC nutes and I’ve still have 10+ yr. plus that I’m using today in my Phototron grow and its seems like it’s still good…

Phototrons…SWC/TRON

1 Like

If it’s straight salts, which is typical, I could see only a couple things happening. 1) Some of the salts fall out of solution or 2) Some sort of infection or 3) cross reaction causing percipitation.

Check for precipitation. Give it a good shake. Check to see if re-dissolved. Give it a smell test. Verify the PH matches what’s expected once you mix up a batch. Should work.

If the formulation has something else in there like mycorrhizae, organics, or volatiles (peroxides, etc) then it’s probably out-of-date with unpredictable changes being likely. Which means it may or may not work as expected.

Most formulations are likely straight salts.

2 Likes

Honestly mean no insult, but that’s the first mention of a Phototron I’ve seen in over 20 years. When I ran a hydro shop (back in the ‘early days’) we used to joke that “If we were to design a machine to intentionally torture a plant to death - it would be the Phototon.” I thought those things were killed back in the 1980’s and your post made me search and find that they are still around. Wow…

And to the OP – I would not use nutes that old. Trace elements precipitate out of solution over time. That precipitation is why they package the nute concentrates in 2 (or more) parts. Just not worth it is all - get fresh nutes.

2 Likes

I had my first Phototron 1987 even went to their factory in the western suburb of Chicago…check out my SWC/TRON thread bromigo…they were just ahead of their time…if you really think about it growing in tents is just a bigger versions of Phototrons …

Matanuska Thunder Fuck the real deal clone only strain

Phototrons…SWC/TRON

5 Likes

I also have phototrons and worked great, only now twenty years later i can not find the company because i need the nutrients that you could purchase. i need something that is 12.58% Total Nitrogen 1.44% Available Phosphoric Acid and 5.11% Soluble Portash anything i can use?

1 Like

Try using Technaflora nutes…

1 Like

that might work?

1 Like

thanx, mine looked like that. Hopefully i can again.

1 Like

Found out that the company went outa business…did you ever get your Phototron working again?

1 Like

check out Massive Bloom for flower here are a few very good and not expensive nutes:
Elemental Nutrients -== myco base nutrient line (3) $10.00 sample pack
Neptune harvest _ 3 bottles + kelp and crap meal ($15.00 sample pack
Dyna Gro _ beleive 6 bottles of line - $25.00 sample pack

All mentioned have used with goos results (Ynoo Gro has a very good “rooting” soultion and Elemtental - their line is based on Myco + their bloom booster is rated in top list

Hope this helps ( a inexpensive way to find what works for you – Peace