Old school BUD or ‘piff’

Anyone here from the northeast remember that fruity weed called ‘bud’, later piff. Always would cost a little more but was always worth it. I’m trying to find out the ‘legal’ name of this strain, anyone remember this strain?

3 Likes

Ehh…. Kinda difficult to get a handle on that one… I mean, “bud” is pretty generic and hella common when describing weed.

That’s like asking if you know “John”

“Piff” might be a bit more unique but I can’t recall anything that wasn’t releasing air with that description.

Any more detail?

1 Like

Try Piff Coast Farms. They might know.

2 Likes

What area. If in the tri-state, NYC area, there was an NL5 sister to CBH/Piff that was more fruity than churchy.

Strawberry Cough is another fruity NL5.

What kind of fruit was it like?

And ‘Bud’ well there was Kind Bud which was usually high-end hydro from canada. Most often NLxSkunk (m39 Basic) that had a very specific feeding regimen to get that flavor.
There were peppery SSH and Jack.
Blueberry from DJ
Cherry Afghan and Cherry Ak47, and cherry Hawaiian.
Grape there was gdp and grape ape.

7 Likes

Mainly ct, this was back in the days of regular weed and ‘zona, then there was ‘bud’, that’s all they called it, that’s what I would ask for. Back then it was literally the only high grade, it was consistent. Since all the commercial strains have flooded the scene, it sort of disappeared.

Damn man both of those are like basically u asking us to find that “chronic” u used to smoke

piff is haze, but also just a term for good weed.

and bud is about as basic of a name you could be asking for help on

I don’t see a favorable resolution to this quandary happening lol

3 Likes

I found peppers

Old school to me is mid to late 90s. I’m sure there are some fellas rollin around here who’s old-school is the 80s 70s and 60s.

3 Likes

I understand that ’ bud’ and ‘piff’ and ‘chronic’ and so forth are generic terms. But this was a consistent singular strain of weed, known only as ‘bud’ l later people would also call it ‘piff’, any long time weed smoker from ct should know what I’m referring to

There was a thread about this “piff” where someone asked the same question, and there is a breeder who is trying to preserve/bring it back.
I am in the same area and remember when we used to either get Mexican “shwag”, or what we’d call “kind bud”, “hydro” etc to mean quality weed that wasn’t horribly abused while being smuggled from Mexico. It was rare you’d get a specific strain name.

3 Likes

Piff Coast Farms and Top Dawg are your best bets. Doc D’s Bandaid Haze supposedly has some piffy phenos as well. Like @Shamus said, it’s a generic term for NYC haze in the early 2000’s that flooded Harlem and the LES. It moved up to CT, Mass, etc. also. Cuban Black Haze is regarded as the backbone to the piffy churchy haze you’re looking for.

4 Likes

Mr Nice Mango Hz

Did a little research, and the’piff’ from the northeast that I’m speaking about isn’t bandaid haze. Bandaid haze was bred around 2013, I remember this weed back in 2000-2001.

2 Likes

I hear ya, but BAH has some of those speculative genetics (CBH and more largely A5). I’ve heard folks say good things about PFC’s Midnight Mass and Piff S1, but haven’t tried either myself. Finding the exact thing you, I, and tons of others on the Eastern seaboard were puffing 20 years ago is very similar to popping 20-30 BAH and pheno hunting. It’s going to take some work :v:t2:

1 Like

We’re you able to get ‘bud’ from multiple people or just one guy?

Bud was everywhere, I bought bud from multiple spots for decades. Everyone knew’bud’ but everyone couldn’t always afford bud, was a bit pricey, but awesome. Once the GG4s, runtz, skittles and the likes came around, can’t find’bud’ anymore.

This. Midnight Mass from Piff Coast Farms is a CBH BX. I snagged a pack to run one day. Should be some good plants in there.

3 Likes

Piff/CBH is the parental line of Bandaid haze.
Yeah, bandaid haze was made by bodhi in 2013

But the CBH/Piff were selected back in the late 80’s or early 90’s and very tightly held by Cubans and Puerto Ricans in the Miami and NYC areas. Like, people were killed over this plant for trying to release a smuggled clone or even popping a bagseed and trying to capitalize on the name.
I first smoked Piff in Westchester NY around 2004. I knew a mafia kid who was dating a puerto rican model and she was able to get him Piff. First time I smoked it, I coulda sworn it was laced. But, nope, just reeaalllly good weed.
Flowers with multiple harvest windows from 90-130 days.
Most of what people are breeding with today are bagseeds/s2 of it, because only a couple people got the legit clone.

5 Likes

Hear of piff first time in Upstate ny …probably around 2010-2011 bought a bag on 420

Piff the guy called it …acted like we were buying something harder then just weed …

1 Like

I’m familiar with “kinda bud” or “maine kind bud” from like early 2000s. Stands out because of the extremely generic name. Bright green sweet smelling chronic.