Oleskool’s shitkicker grow show

I was about to blast up some dry ice hash from sugar leaf and small buds from affected plant. Will I be smoking frozen mites? Ick. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Can they multiply in my box of fresh trim? I’m freaking out @Northern_Loki!!! :cowboy_hat_face: Something like this causes me to morph from organic, tree hugging environmentalist to a genocidal maniac! :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Are there additional flowering plants in there?

Depending on how far along the infestation had gotten with the plants in question, fumigate?

Personally, I would for the peace of mind.

Can you save the other plants from the mites?

Probably, but it’ll take some work and attention depending on the stage of the plants. No half-measures. Out of caution, I’d assume the mites have spread around.

But before that, can you get us some pictures of the current situation, leaves, etc for you various plants. Put these into a separate thread if you’d like so we don’t mung up this thread too much and OG can help generate a plan.

5 Likes

I’ll get some pics tonight at lights on and get them to OG. Then it’s GENOCIDE!!! :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

if the veg area is separate you could try spraying the plants with Neem oil every week up until week 2 of flowering, that would protect them from any lingering mites that might hatch. I’ve read that mite eggs stay viable for up to 3 months.

8 Likes

Thanks @Muleskinner. What do you suggest for plants in 6th week of flower, full bloom? :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

The one time I got them it was around week 6 of flowering, I bought a vial of predatory mites and sprinkled them onto the plants, that got rid of them until harvest. It costs about $40. The smallest amount is way more than you need so it overwhelms them.

http://www.arbico-organics.com/category/natural-mite-control

Or just harvest them now. Supposedly a 10% bleach solution will kill remaining mites & eggs, you have to wipe everything down, they like to crawl into cracks & crevices. I like the predators because when they’re done on the plants they probably run off in search of more eggs & mites to eat.

7 Likes

Thanks for that @Muleskinner! That sounds like a good way to save harvest. One of them is your Hurkle F2 which I would hate to chop. So far it has no sign of bugs. I’m gonna follow your link and order immediately. Are the predators sensitive to cold temps? :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Hey @Muleskinner. Fascinating site but they are very proud of some of these bugs! Can you tell me specifically which bugs you ordered. They range from $20 to $300. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I’d have said ladybug/bird
Taking from that site -
Biological Control - Ideal for spider mite control during flowering. Introduce beneficial insects after knocking down spider mites for continued control. Match your growing conditions with the Mite Predator’s optimal conditions and time releases in conjunction with other integrated pest management approaches.

Mite Predators – Phytoseiulus persimilis, Neoseiulus californicus, Amblyseius andersoni, Amblyseius fallacis, Mesosiulus longipes, Galendromus occidentalisSpidermite Destroyers - Feltiella acarisuga, Stethorus punctillumGeneralist Predators - Ladybug, Assassin Bug, Green Lacewing, Minute Pirate Bug

5 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

To my buddies @Muleskinner, @99PerCent and @ReikoX

5 Likes

I would read the description of each one - it tells you which temperature and humidity they like. I would order the smallest size available, should be plenty. Or call them tomorrow morning and ask for their recommendation

4 Likes

Fuck a two spotted spider mite! If it were me, I would harvest everything early and go nuclear on the space. Start over fresh with an IPM strategy in place (neem and aloe sprays all through veg).

Predator mites may work to keep populations under control to let you harvest. They wont eat all of the mites though, and may move on once there is no food around.

Once the plant is dead, the live mites will move along to a living plant, so no they wont propagate in your trim. The eggs may hatch, but likely will move on as well. You might consider rinsing your buds before hanging and drying.

The only thing worse than a mite in your bud, is mite shit in your bud! :ant: :poop:

8 Likes

Thanks @ReikoX. The most concise advice yet. My son is coming home for a while to get his life together so I’ll have some help with the Genocide and pursuant clean up. This is my prime growing season so I’m freaking out regarding the setback in time. I have 3 of your autos and some seedlings in a separate tent that I hope are not affected. We’ll see. Much love bro. Thanks for your input. :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

I was looking forward to a nice batch of dry ice hash as I have considerable sugar leaf and small buds but I can’t stop thinking of smoking frozen bugs. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

I would think you might be able to separate the bugs from hash if its ice water method, I am guessing bugs will float?, Id give it a try and check the hash with a magnifying glass of some kind
edit: Not sure how the dry ice method works guess no water?

4 Likes

It’s DRY ICE hash so everything will be frozen and sifted. I guess it depends on how big the mites are and whether they will be caught in the screen. 76 microns I think. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Yeah Im a dumb ass, just thinking out loud :grinning:
is the screen a bag? if so you could do water hash for this run?
I need to look up dry ice hash lol

1 Like

Dry ice freezes trichomes and they are sifted to produce “dry ice hash”. Weed plus dry ice stirred in a 1 or 5 gallon container then sifted through a bubble bag and gathered. 1st shake is the best quality. Have fun! Try it! :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes