One Papaya seed, 38W LED (19Wx2), Organic Soil

If conditions are good and the plant is growing fast I’d say maybe a month you could probably start with clones.

2 Likes

Day 22

5 Likes

Day 23

Before I went to bed at about 3:30 am I noticed the plant was “praying”, looking really good. I just woke up and noticed the leaves have relaxed. Very interesting, those are positive signs for overall health right?

Seeing the leaves relax made me think ok I should water now. But the moisture meter indicated that there’s still a litttle bit of moisture down at the bottom… So I know the majority of the root mass is totally dry right now but I bet those bottom roots are really filling in as they “stretch” down toward the water similar to a plant that’s too far from a light stretching toward the light… I know there’s at least some moisture and I bet at least the bottom roots can access it. I know this moisture meter will go into the red “DRY” readings on the left when it really is dry. It’s certainly not wilting so I’m going to give it another day at least and maybe I’ll even observe some praying again in another ~12 hours. New growth seems to be coming in at a faster rate than the last set of leaves.

6 Likes

Way to be patient, she’s loving it. How high is your light? Looks like it could probably stand to be a bit closer

3 Likes

Here’s the pictures of the manufacturer’s info. I’m keeping it right at 16” since the manufacturer’s specs say 16-30” in veg. This light is so cheap but it has like over a hundred 4-5 star reviews on Google… I’m thinking I might just get a second one to add more light and have a back up in case of failure.

But ya I also thought it was strange that it asks for 6” in seedling stage and then back right off after 2 weeks. So I’m trying to maintain that min/max of 16” and it doesn’t seem to be stretching…

3 Likes

Huh well I guess stick with their recommendations then. I’m just a light hog, I always want to ram them really close haha

3 Likes

Seedlings only need a fraction of the light intensity that flowering plants need, I would err on the side of caution. LED’s with a lot of blue & red don’t look bright to our eyes but they are bright to the plants.

our eyes are most sensitive to green/yellow and plants are most sensitve to red and blue.

3 Likes

ya unless there’s some sort of light spectrum/frequency that’s ideal for seedling that’s only available from tiny LEDs that only reach 6 inches? and then other frequencies for vegging are more available between difference distances like 16-30”? would be nice to test it.

1 Like

Beginning of Day 24 here.

Since the plants went from praying to drooping and drooping even more after 3 checks within 24 hrs, I decided to water and test pH. I had opened tap water resting in jugs for days. Soil pH test looks good. pour ed about 3.5 litres of water through there and sopped up the drainage with towels before ringing it down the sink. So that is now on pH meter setting, showing around 6.5…

4 Likes

About 6 hours later

6 Likes

Day 24

4 Likes

Looking good, I would top that puppy now or soon.

I tried some papaya from a dispensary last week and the smell was out of this world

2 Likes

Ya topping sounds good… maybe once those two fan leaves come in? then i snip the next tip on new growth? Or should just cut those two little guys right off?

Ya the bud I got was quite purple… a little too dry, and obviously full of seeds. So maybe not your AAA bud but it was a very nice hybrid.

I’ve been searching for Papaya online and it appears to basically only be available as feminized genetics from Nirvana with no auto flowering version… so I’m feeling confident about this seed I’ve planted.

1 Like

I mean, if it was me, I’d pinch those lil bastards now. I top often and early in a 4x4 scrog. Like, I top every other week. Let them grow a node and pinch and repeat

P.s. ur bathroom is going to smell DANK come week three, hope ur ready!

3 Likes

well i’m moving this thing outside to finish in the backyard but i do want to get a solid clone to live in my bathroom as a mother plant.

What i really want to do is grow a fantastic sativa outdoor with a head start in the bathroom for next year. I’m researching like crazy. I could order from any Canadian or international seed bank and I just want to figure out which one and what strain. Like some legit Durban Poison sounds good… but from who? what’s the best canadian seed bank?

Edit: I see that most international seed banks won’t actually ship to Canada. Dutch Passion certainly won’t. But True North Seed bank seems good and they carry like everything from Brothers Grimm. So I think next year I will attempt to get straight up Cinderella 99 or Apollo 11 or maybe one of their Sativa dominant variations… I may also go for Durban Poison from Dutch Passion. I’m basically looking for a Sativa that’s not a Haze.

EDIT AGAIN: I ENDED UP ORDERING APOLLO XX seeds (feminized Apollo 11 from Brothers Grimm) from True North Seed Bank. From what people are saying on here it’s pretty close to the legendary old genetics. Can’t wait.

2 Likes

Day 25.

Just filled up the pot with that extra soil I had. Noticed it compacted a bit after that watering and I’m sure it will a little bit more next time.

I guess I should top this thing like doyoulovebeef advises… i just can’t being myself to snip off that beautiful new growth right now! how about the next node? lol.

Edit:

Topped and pruned off the bottom single leaves and dead cotyledons.

2 Likes

Whelp, your at the 3rd node now with the 4th coming in…some count the 1st finger leaves - I don’t. You can:

Pinch out the 4th node coming in now to let the 3rd nodes become your new tops…1 becomes 2
Lst: anchor the stem on one side at the bottom then pull the top down in the other direction to let the lower growth coming in receive more light to become several new tops
Wait til the 6th node and top down to the 3rd for a clone and 2 tops that are sizeable instead of just coming in

Lots of options :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for spelling it out for me. I kinda thought that was all just one node coming in but ya I see I could pinch out that new 4th node and have those two new fan leaves become dominant. that sounds good.

2 Likes

No problem! Think of each leaf as a new node or area to potentially get a bud from…one on each side of the plant :wink:

Yup!

2 Likes

Day 26

5 Likes