Day 14 after sprout.
Third set of leaves coming out. I transplanted already. That burn on the second set of leaves doesn’t seem to be getting any worse so I think it was that shot of bone meal tea i gave, It’s had two more watering since and the new growth looks healthy right now but too early to even tell I think.
As for the transplant. I just think that slashed up pot of top soil was too small and at two weeks the roots were starting to poke out the sides so I think it was good timing to let those roots grow more before they actually slowed their roll by air pruning and even getting too much light from me manually aerating that top soil with a toothpick from above and slashing up the 3” square pot.
Transplant went well, I just cut the pot and peeled it off and the dirt held together, decent root mass in there I think. Then i actually buried the stem about an inch in my soaking wet soil mix and didn’t water after. Instead I watered the new soil before in a separate container and precisely scooped into into the new pot to sort of sculp the new location. So it was surrounded by wet soil from all angles in the new home. It will permeate into the old medium and hopefully that will stimulated those roots as it dries out over the next few days. I will use my ph/moisture meter (on moisture setting) to determine when to water this pot for the first time.
So just tap water from here on out! Not even going to take the time to let it sit and have chlorine evaporate, I’m aiming for low wattage and low maintenance. Just wanted to try to make a solid organic soil mix with as few ingredients as possible.
4.5 tbs kelp meal
1 tbs blood meal
1 tbs bone meal
7 cups worm castings
9 cups peat
11 cups perlite
= 1.9 gallons
So I have a little extra as I didn’t quite fill the pot... I assume it is 1.75gal when filled to the brim and therefor I mixed about 1.9 gallons of soil. Ph came out to about 6.7 after soaking in tap water... Wondering about the calibration of that meter after me using it for a while now. Assuming it is accurate then I obviously neutralized my mix to become a little less acidic by having more dirt relative to the “meals”, especially the acidic blood meal as I understand kelp and bone meal are ether neutral or alkaline respectively. But I thought adding more peat would actually acidify the mix more even against the worm castings and perlite. Oh well, I’m just happy to see <7 on my pH meter. That was the goal.
I turned the fan off to reduce stress after the transplant. I’ll turn it back on in a couple days.