One Papaya seed, 38W LED (19Wx2), Organic Soil

I run that light (blue) for my seedlings. I have had it to within 2 inches and only a little light stress…
It actually does quite well at about 3-6 inches. All in all, it does fine for seedlings, but after that…they go to my Quantum Board Veg closet.
Here, I was seeing just how close this light could be put…As you see…a little stress, but they sure are squat and stocky.

5 Likes

Day 27

Well I only ran about 4 litres of water through the 6.62 L (1.75 gal) pot, could have used more I think, and the plant is obviously drinking more as well… So I think I will have to water sooner than the 10 days I waited after the transplant watering. I will also run more water through the soil to properly soak it. 6.6 L of water for a 6.6 L pot right?

EDIT:

5 hours later, praying before bed awwwwww

3 Likes

If you’re seeing any runoff from the bottom then it’s pretty well soaked. I ran 3 gallon (12L) pots for years and 2L each was always enough to runoff a bit.

1 Like

thanks beacher. ya i let it runout the bottom quite a bit. i’ll stick to the 3.5ish litres then, that was plenty for that pot… or even less to avoid all that excess run off.

1 Like

Day 28

3 Likes

Day 29

Almost lookin thirsty already? Maybe I’ll get out the moisture meter again tomorrow…

5 Likes

Day 30

Before and after watering. Surface temps are between 65-70 F… The heater still runs periodically and boosts the room temp up, forced air. Ya my humidity and temp should both be at least 25% higher but this is what I’m working with. I added another 23W cool white CFL just to add a tiny bit more heat in the shelf and of course more light.

6 Likes

I know you’re going low wattage growing and it is upto you but please chop them bottom two branches anything that close to your medium will just end up soaked with feed and water anyway and get ruined and when you cut them off the rest will explode :+1:

5 Likes

ya so those are preflowers right?

1 Like

I don’t get if ya mean the lower branches I’m sayjng to chop are preflowers or in general of your plant is showing preflowers but if you mean the plant then yeh looks like she’s got no balls :joy:

1 Like

No. Those are your branches that will grow the buds if a girl…preflowers will come at maturity at the base of those branches :wink:

2 Likes

ya i just wasn’t sure if that new growth was more branches coming out or if it was a bud site. But it’s a bud sit that’s too low you’re saying.

Also, this plant will be going outside in about a month or two so I’m all for pruning while we veg in here.

2 Likes

Prune these right off?

3 Likes

Is this an old branch and some new branches growing? Not showing sex yet?

1 Like

Yup! Check out this Manifold Training…I highly recommend this to keep the canopy even and practice cloning besides I love the technique though it does add a bit of time to the grow

2 Likes

Old leaf, new branch like here

I don’t see any balls or pistils at the base of those so no not yet

3 Likes

100% cut them lower branches especially when you will most likely bury them slightly deeper when you plant them outdoors.

And I would say it’s female mate but there is still time for sacks to develope on there so hard to call.

1 Like

Day 31:

Thanks for the guidance Exploxer and Mom! I sure need it. Next time I would do that pruning just before I watered even.

Here’s the new haircut.

6 Likes

Yeh man that’s the shit right there. You will probably feel like you have just fucked it up it won’t produce etc etc. But I tell you mate them lower branches tend to produce popcorn and nothing more they just suck extra life out of your plant when it could be throwing that energy into growing them tops which will produce you nice fat colas!

3 Likes

Day 32:

Now it’s 19W LED + 23 CFL. This is just the Phillips cool white from a four pack at home depot. I got the “canopy” temp up like 3* F just by getting that thing running in there. Added bonus is the extra lighting. Perfect timing after a pruning and watering too.

4 Likes